U.S. Politics: Attaquer son cul orange!

DireWolfSpirit

12 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

This is the first time in half a century that the Democrats have the Virginian Governorship, legislature, and both Senators.

Trump was right about all the winning after all.

The thing that no one outside of this board has ever talked about are the number of judicial appointments Trump got to make in 4 years.  All those people that got confirmed at an unprecedented rate.   Trumps "legacy" such as it is could be with us for 20 years potentially. 

As much as I hate to admit it I think Trump is going to get a 2nd term.  It is beyond horrifying that we are a year from the election and the 15 Democrats who are running are still arguing about trivial details like who supports (or not) the right of federal prisoners to get gender reassignment surgery. 

4 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Going further, I think that the 2017, 2018 and 2019 elections have unequivocally demonstrated that Trumpism without Trump on the ballot does not work.

As you allude to, I think this in part simply demonstrates further evidence that the incumbent's party is fucked in off-cycle elections.  But you're also right that it does tend to indicate a decrease in support of the incumbent for re-election, which is quite perilous for Trump considering his margins.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

As you allude to, I think this in part simply demonstrates further evidence that the incumbent's party is fucked in off-cycle elections.  But you're also right that it does tend to indicate a decrease in support of the incumbent for re-election, which is quite perilous for Trump considering his margins. 

There are definitely headwinds for any incumbent, because being in the political wilderness sucks.  But the national climate in 2017-2019 has been extremely favorable to the party in power (low unemployment, reasonable wage growth, no major wars).  If we were looking at President Rubio or President Romney, I feel pretty confident that Republicans would still control the House, still hold the KY and KS governorships, etc.

I remain convinced that Trump is actually a pretty garbage candidate, and that he only won because he was running with political tailwinds (Republicans 8 years out of power in the WH), foreign interference and a very poor candidate in Clinton.  Evidence keeps piling up that Trump's political "genius" is just snake oil.  That's not to say that he won't win again, but if he does it will be in spite of his political instincts, not because of them. 

8 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Evidence keeps piling up that Trump's political "genius" is just snake oil.  That's not to say that he won't win again, but if he does it will be in spite of his political instincts, not because of them. 

I'm not sure about the KY governorship - that one seems like it's candidate specific, as in Bevin was particularly unpopular and didn't reflect anything close to mean GOP performance.

But generally, yes, I wholeheartedly agree that Trump's "strengths" are mostly hocus pocus.  Silver had a great rundown on the current state of polling yesterday for the data geek-inclined, and his analysis shows while there was a pretty significant Dem bias in polling in 2016, that's been corrected for to the point that in elections from 2017-2019, there's actually a (very) slight Republican bias (0.3%).  

Just now, DMC said:

I'm not sure about the KY governorship - that one seems like it's candidate specific, as in Bevin was particularly unpopular and didn't reflect anything close to mean GOP performance.

Bevin was a terrible governor, and if he lost by 5 points, I would agree that it was all on him.  But a big part of the problem for Bevin is that he embraced Trumpism and Trumpism isn't popular, even in Kentucky.  If he were following the lead of a different president, he almost assuredly doesn't campaign on loser issues like taking away people's health care and picking fights with teachers. 

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

But a big part of the problem for Bevin is that he embraced Trumpism and Trumpism isn't popular, even in Kentucky.

Haven't watched any news today, but I hope it's being emphasized that Trump tried one of his election-eve savior rallies for Bevin and they're both still losers.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Haven't watched any news today, but I hope it's being emphasized that Trump tried one of his election-eve savior rallies for Bevin and they're both still losers.

Oh yeah, it's definitely coming up.  This article on CNN had this particularly popular Trump quote from Monday's Rally:

And Trump himself, just a night earlier, had said the outcome of Bevin's reelection bid would be a reflection on him.

"If you lose, they're going to say Trump suffered the greatest defeat in the history of the world. This was the greatest. You can't let that happen to me," he told Bevin at their rally.

That might be a new record for how quickly a Trump quote goes bad. 

29 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Oh yeah, it's definitely coming up.  This article on CNN had this particularly popular Trump quote from Monday's Rally:

That might be a new record for how quickly a Trump quote goes bad. 

Of course the prevailing Republican spin ignores this, and tries to tell us that the only reason Bevin was at all competitive was because Trump campaigned for him.

7 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Of course the prevailing Republican spin ignores this, and tries to tell us that the only reason Bevin was at all competitive was because Trump campaigned for him.

SO MUCH WINNING.

If you never acknowledge that the emperor has no clothes, then the emperor was right all along.  That's the moral of that story.  Everyone knows that. 

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Wait until Bevin wins on a recount because the Republican politicians are fascists and can’t handle losing but tell those left of them to deal with losing and don’t try to do anything about it even if they won under suspicious and unethical circumstances. 

Also remember, we need bipartisanship with them.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

I threw on CNN last night as the last of the results came in. While it was 90% reporting and I was vociferously condemning the Democratic effort to failure out of solidarity they did their little ESPN panel and 3 humans in a row explained how the GOP would try the same spin you described despite a Democrat winning in Kentucky. 

Not five seconds later. Not FIVE SECONDS! They turned to a disreputable looking mound of pale clay crudely molded into a facsimile of a human man who launched unironically into an explanation about how, in Kentucky, Donald helped Bevin overcome a deficit and Mitch McConnels pupil won and that shows hatred for impeachment.

31 minutes ago, Bonnot OG said:

Wait until Bevin wins on a recount because the Republican politicians are fascists and can’t handle losing but tell those left of them to deal with losing and don’t try to do anything about it even if they won under suspicious and unethical circumstances. 

Also remember, we need bipartisanship with them.

They’re already dog whistling that there was funny business on the Democratic side.

But dude, seriously chill out with your Biden takes. They’re hot garbage. Biden would be a dramatic improvement over our current situation and he’s done more for this country than you ever will. Is he perfect? No, but no candidate is perfect, including if that candidate stares back at you in the mirror. Grow up.

So the Big Rethug Talking Head that came on All Things Considered tonight, gravely and solomnly assured us, from his lofty stance upon the hill he dies on every day, bi-partisanship that has alas, turned into bump on a log, and both! I tell you, both! Dems and thugs are equally badly behaved.  But! the DEM Committee members did some meeting or questioning or planning, ya planning, behind closed doors and didn't allow rethugs to participate, and that was really worst because rethugs haven't done that, and besides, its absolutely the worst to have the Intelligence Committee investigation this at all -- and other committe would be more appropriate, evidently. And! Now!  he's informing us that Sondland changing his testimony was a strategy that came out of the White House and bedbug, because you know, bedbug did nothing wrong, so, so what. He cannot swear to this, but as a former member of CIA something or other, he asured us he's never see such a thing happen before that a witness changed his testimony.  So it wasn't Sondland being afraid of perjury, but following instructions, he's pretty sure.

~~~~~~

Also heard all over the media today, that ya, we need to question and try the Bidens at the impeachment hearings in the Senate and get to the bottom of this Ukrain corruption that the Bidens sponsored.  On NPR shows too, they were allowed to say this shyte without pushback.

But what does one expect of an organization that accepts sponsorship from Facebook, whose Instagram app allows the buying and selling of African slaves and the Big $zuck doesn't see a problem here, evidently. 

Archived