A Super Necessary And All Important Survey Question

Mr. Chatywin et al.

58 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm just posting that there must be some kind of anti-smarties conspiracy.  Those things are great, and better value that most other candies. 

46 minutes ago, Leofric said:

As to the original poll question I'll go with (i) good.  I like them and will eat them if offered, but never went out of my way to buy them.

But the Google poll is obviously flawed by including Tootsie Rolls anywhere in a worst candy list.

First, if you won’t go out of your way for something, but will still consume it, at best it can only be okay.

Second, while the list is flawed, the interwebs agreed with me that candy corn is the worst, thus validating my stance. It also makes it unarguable that candy corn is The Palace in Auburn Hills, even if @Fragile Bird's friend doesn’t understand why.

Y'all, I wait for candy corn season every year.  One of my favorite things is candy corn trail mix (yes I make it myself I like it that much).  Also, candy corn cookies.  And I also like mello creme pumpkins.  They are delicious.  All you haters are just wrong.

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Y'all, I wait for candy corn season every year.  One of my favorite things is candy corn trail mix (yes I make it myself I like it that much).  Also, candy corn cookies.  And I also like mello creme pumpkins.  They are delicious.  All you haters are just wrong.

I’m not mad at you. I’m just disappointed.

l. b.) I agree with Lewis Black

For Halloween I gave out Kit-Kats, Single Serving Full Size Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and I always like to have something in case trick or treaters have a chocolate or peanut allergy. This year I gave out Tootsie Fruit Chews. I think they are much better than Starbutst, Laffy Taffy, and similar candy.

20 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Lord, toffee apples. Who the fuck ever thought those monstrosities were a good idea

Dentists

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I'm just posting that there must be some kind of anti-smarties conspiracy.  Those things are great, and better value that most other candies. 

Well, the entire right wing is going to be inherently hostile to any product called "smarties," so there's that.  And yeah, I liked smarties when I was a kid as well.

21 hours ago, Liffguard said:

I also have no idea what a mounds bar is. Some quick googling tells me it's basically the same thing as a bounty?

Is Bounty made with milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Because Mounds is made with dark chocolate, that might be the difference.

Growing up in the late 70's and early 80's if you caught any Charlie Brown prime time special, then you saw this commercial or similar ones and if you watched enough of them, the jingle is stuck in your head forever:

40 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

And Smarties are good, while Bounty is an invention from the ninth circle of Hell. 

Heh, I kind of like Bounty bars.

Also a little confused by the dislike for the generally inoffensive Smarties I googled it and it turns out Smarties are a different thing in the US.

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

Heh, I kind of like Bounty bars.

Also a little confused by the dislike for the generally inoffensive Smarties I googled it and it turns out Smarties are a different thing in the US.

That may explain things. 

They want to do everything different over there, it seems.

1 hour ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Our friendship will be forever burdened by this, I'm sure.

Eh, I can let it slide. It always helps to have a friend who is a tax attorney. What better way to engage in serious financial crimes lucrative business ventures?

43 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

European smarties just look like M&Ms.  Which is fine, I guess.  But it's no smarties. 

They taste very differently.

Bounties are very tasty, even though my neighbour said they aren't that good and didn't take any when offered. More for me!

14 minutes ago, sologdin said:

i wanna be like that neighbor who gives out pennies or grapes instead of candy, except i'm gonna give out copies of the communist manifesto.

When I lived in San Antonio a kid knocked on my apartment door one Halloween. I had not stocked any candy to award the young man, and my friends and I were getting high watching Little Monsters and Tower of Terror. The kid shouldn't have been knocking on my door, and I might have slammed the door in his miniature face if not for the kindly looking woman standing by the stairs with a hopeful smile.

I must admit, I am capable of feelings. And in this moment, I felt generous and encouraging to my fellow humans. Lacking any candy designated for distribution to the masses, I gave the young man a banana I'd been thinking of saving to make pudding with. He obviously wasn't particularly pleased with this offering, but he thanked me courteously and I never saw him again. It felt nice, being nice and giving.

Luckily there were no more interruptions that evening so my friends and I watched the movies. We ate so much candy that night it was crazy. We'd all provided a bag of our favorite offering, and there was just so much that we couldn't even eat half of the total. We ended up making a Jenga tower out of KitKat bars.  

24 minutes ago, sologdin said:

i wanna be like that neighbor who gives out pennies or grapes instead of candy, except i'm gonna give out copies of the communist manifesto.

Make sure you also include a guide on how to make nooses and how to identify proper lamp posts. 

39 minutes ago, sologdin said:

we need someone like you next to every neighbor who gives out chick tracts.

8 hours ago, Liffguard said:

I have a few friends who still celebrate Samhainn explicitly. I don't know if this is a result of a continuous unbroken legacy or a revival of a previously dead tradition, but either way it's pretty interesting. My area (Devon) no longer has a living Celtic tradition but we're right by Cornwall, which does.

There's a group in Edinburgh who run a fire festival for Beltane (end of April) which is quite a big event, and they do a smaller event for Samhuinn - in this case it is a revival, having begun in the 80s.

Archived