Euron will commit Dany's treason for blood.

chrisdaw

This one is given to us pretty freely, I will make the case. I will make the case only that is Euron who will commit the treason against Dany, but will not speculate as to what the treason will be.

In the House of the Undying Dany is treated to many a prophecy, including three treasons she will know. The precise wording,

. . . . three treasons will you know . . . once for blood and once for gold and once for love . . .

So Dany will know a treason for blood.

In The World of Ice and Fire in the Yi Ti section there is the story of the various emperors leading to the Bloodstone Emperor.

When the daughter of the Opal Emperor succeeded him as the Amethyst Empress, her envious younger brother cast her down and slew her, proclaiming himself the Bloodstone Emperor and beginning a reign of terror. He practiced dark arts, torture, and necromancy, enslaved his people, took a tiger-woman for his bride, feasted on human flesh, and cast down the true gods to worship a black stone that had fallen from the sky. (Many scholars count the Bloodstone Emperor as the first High Priest of the sinister Church of Starry Wisdom, which persists to this day in many port cities throughout the known world).

Notice the Bloodstone Emperor's list of hits aligns closely with Euron.

His betrayal of the Amethyst Empress is given a name.

In the annals of the Further East, it was the Blood Betrayal, as his usurpation is named, that ushered in the age of darkness called the Long Night. Despairing of the evil that had been unleashed on earth, the Maiden-Made-of-Light turned her back upon the world, and the Lion of Night came forth in all his wroth to punish the wickedness of men.

So the Bloodstone Emperor committed the Blood Betrayal against the Amethyst Empress.

A Blood Betrayal to a treason for blood. Same same.

An amethyst is a purple jewel. Dany is basically (besides Lord Brax) the only character referred to with an amethyst descriptor.

"The last of her line. They say she is the fairest woman in the world. Her hair is silver-gold, and her eyes are amethysts . . . but you need not take my word for it, brother. Go to Slaver's Bay, behold her beauty, and bring her back to me."

And by Euron no less.

And note specifically what Euron fixates on about Dany.

"The last of her line.

Line, as in bloodline.

No, to make an heir that's worthy of him, I need a different woman. When the kraken weds the dragon, brother, let all the world beware."

It is her dragon blood he wants her for.

Euron's affiliation with blood is strong.

"Only their shadows," Moqorro said. "One most of all. A tall and twisted thing with one black eye and ten long arms, sailing on a sea of blood."

The Bloodstone Emperor is an analogue for Euron, the Amethyst Empress for Dany, and the Blood Betrayal is an analogue for a treason Euron will commit against Dany - the treason for blood that she will know.

3 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

Bloodstone Emperor was a kinslayer. So I think that treason for blood should be impossible for Euron. Or I assume that only relative of Dany could be able to do that.

It's just a rolling Euron's kinslaying into the Bloodstone Emperor's story to tick another box for a parallel.

16 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

It's just a rolling Euron's kinslaying into the Bloodstone Emperor's story to tick another box for a parallel.

But to my knowledge Euron is NOT relative of Dany. So he should not be able to carry out treason for blood against Dany.

Naturally I could have misunderstood meaning of "treason for blood". Or I assume that means kinslaying.

5 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

But to my knowledge Euron is NOT relative of Dany. So he should not be able to carry out treason for blood against Dany.

Naturally I could have misunderstood meaning of "treason for blood". Or I assume that means kinslaying.

There are other ways a betrayal for blood can work. He needs Dany specifically to carry his child because she is blood of the dragon, thought to be the last of her line. But it's not going to work, Dany won't be able to carry his child to term, so he's going to go to the next best dragon blooded womb, Arianne, and that will be the betrayal for blood.

The treason for blood is fairly well-established and understood by Dany as Mirri Maz Duur. To have a new treason for blood, it would have to be something so heinous that Mirri killing Dany's child in her womb along with using loophole abuse to revive her husband as a vegetable would have to be considered "not that bad in comparison". I don't see that happening.

To rephrase that, while there may be multiple technical treasons of each type (probably several for gold), there's going to be one over-riding one that's going to stand out and make the others seem inconsequential. I don't think that's possible with Mirri's "treason". (and regardless of whether the reader thinks Mirri was committing treason, Daenerys does, which is what's important).

I'm no expert on love, but the fiasco where she lost her family may have involved love.   Blood magic was Mirri's method of betrayal, but was it Mirri's motive?   ( 'A betrayal for'.....)    Maybe Mirri loved the town that Stormy had just tore up.   Maybe Stormy loved her family enough to trust a witch with their fates and souls.   Betrayal for love.   

Now, if you believe that Mirri's whole purpose there was to knowingly birth dragons back into the world, then it becomes a betrayal for magical blood.   But if you read it as Mirri being out for revenge on Stormy for conquering Mirri's city, then it was a love/hate thing.  The ritual then produced dragons only as an unintended side-effect when Danny the true dragon instinctively behaved her way into Mothering those eggs while magic was still swirling in the air.

The betrayal for gold would most obviously be Tyrion striking a deal with the crown where he gets the Lannister seat for his own ass, along with the gold mine, Casterly, in return for switching sides and denuding Daenerys of at least one dragon, which would be worth a great deal to the crown.   If it's something less obvious than that, I'm less likely to guess it in advance, right?   So I won't list possibilities 2 through 10.   

The betrayal for blood.    Uhhhhhh, if Euron bleeds Daenerys for her kingsblood so he can do a ritual of his own by sacrificing her, that'd be betrayal for blood that a non-relative like Euron could still perform.   But it'd be a groaner.   Like, what a cul du sac for Danny's great journey to dead end into, you know?   And if she's dead after the 3 betrayals, my issues with Quaithe would be 1) why'd you even bother to warn Danny, then?  and 2) Why you gotta talk in riddles when people really need you to be more clear about this shit?    So, if the blood betrayal is yet to come, it'd likely be one of her trusted inner circle betraying her to side with their westerosi kin who are suffering and dying now that the invasion is real.  Maybe someone won't be mentally ready to make that adjustment and they'll shiv Stormy bodily or tactically.   Aegon could betray her for Arianne & Dorne's Love, I suppose.  But we've already done that bad choices thing with Robb!   

Going back to the scenario where the Mirri thing was a blood betrayal, that would leave Love....

And if it really does mean Love involving Danny, and not merely her supporters' family loyalties outweighing their love of her cause........ who would Danny fall in love with at this point for real?   I don't want Daario being elevated to the level where his character matters this much.   He should only betray her by stealing some rugs or taking the last Eggo waffle before his army bails.   I don't expect to read about him manipulating her based on love leverage.  Ewww.    I make jokes about Ice & Fire smoochies with Jon because that makes some other people go Ewwww too.   Because it's not a response you'd want to see when Jon and Danny ever meet, right?  You want to see them being responsible people shouldering massive burdens at that point.  So it becomes excusable only if the fire and ice crisis brings them together and they see the pattern of endless fighting and decide to change it by.... tounging for the resolution of history?   That'd be worth some deep french kissing.  But seriously..... Victarion?  No, right?  I mean, his gruffness and effectiveness might make him the antidote to the fake marriage Danny just had with Reznak Whomever in Meereen, and that might bring out some legit warrior queen wetness from our heroine.  But still.  Victarion?  That can't end well........ oh.  Hey.   If it can't end well, and she can manage to legit embrace Vic as her man of action and ships, ....that could be your "most obvious" betrayal for love candidate right thurrr.    Which reverts Mirri's shitshow back into Blood betrayal.  Eh.  Whatevs.    War out.

1 hour ago, The Mother of The Others said:

I'm no expert on love, but the fiasco where she lost her family may have involved love.   Blood magic was Mirri's method of betrayal, but was it Mirri's motive?   ( 'A betrayal for'.....)    Maybe Mirri loved the town that Stormy had just tore up.   Maybe Stormy loved her family enough to trust a witch with their fates and souls.   Betrayal for love.   

Now, if you believe that Mirri's whole purpose there was to knowingly birth dragons back into the world, then it becomes a betrayal for magical blood.   But if you read it as Mirri being out for revenge on Stormy for conquering Mirri's city, then it was a love/hate thing.  The ritual then produced dragons only as an unintended side-effect when Danny the true dragon instinctively behaved her way into Mothering those eggs while magic was still swirling in the air.

The betrayal for gold would most obviously be Tyrion striking a deal with the crown where he gets the Lannister seat for his own ass, along with the gold mine, Casterly, in return for switching sides and denuding Daenerys of at least one dragon, which would be worth a great deal to the crown.   If it's something less obvious than that, I'm less likely to guess it in advance, right?   So I won't list possibilities 2 through 10.   

The betrayal for blood.    Uhhhhhh, if Euron bleeds Daenerys for her kingsblood so he can do a ritual of his own by sacrificing her, that'd be betrayal for blood that a non-relative like Euron could still perform.   But it'd be a groaner.   Like, what a cul du sac for Danny's great journey to dead end into, you know?   And if she's dead after the 3 betrayals, my issues with Quaithe would be 1) why'd you even bother to warn Danny, then?  and 2) Why you gotta talk in riddles when people really need you to be more clear about this shit?    So, if the blood betrayal is yet to come, it'd likely be one of her trusted inner circle betraying her to side with their westerosi kin who are suffering and dying now that the invasion is real.  Maybe someone won't be mentally ready to make that adjustment and they'll shiv Stormy bodily or tactically.   Aegon could betray her for Arianne & Dorne's Love, I suppose.  But we've already done that bad choices thing with Robb!   

Going back to the scenario where the Mirri thing was a blood betrayal, that would leave Love....

And if it really does mean Love involving Danny, and not merely her supporters' family loyalties outweighing their love of her cause........ who would Danny fall in love with at this point for real?   I don't want Daario being elevated to the level where his character matters this much.   He should only betray her by stealing some rugs or taking the last Eggo waffle before his army bails.   I don't expect to read about him manipulating her based on love leverage.  Ewww.    I make jokes about Ice & Fire smoochies with Jon because that makes some other people go Ewwww too.   Because it's not a response you'd want to see when Jon and Danny ever meet, right?  You want to see them being responsible people shouldering massive burdens at that point.  So it becomes excusable only if the fire and ice crisis brings them together and they see the pattern of endless fighting and decide to change it by.... tounging for the resolution of history?   That'd be worth some deep french kissing.  But seriously..... Victarion?  No, right?  I mean, his gruffness and effectiveness might make him the antidote to the fake marriage Danny just had with Reznak Whomever in Meereen, and that might bring out some legit warrior queen wetness from our heroine.  But still.  Victarion?  That can't end well........ oh.  Hey.   If it can't end well, and she can manage to legit embrace Vic as her man of action and ships, ....that could be your "most obvious" betrayal for love candidate right thurrr.    Which reverts Mirri's shitshow back into Blood betrayal.  Eh.  Whatevs.    War out.

I always thought the betrayal for blood was related to someone betraying her because of familly (same blood).

Betrayal for gold= jorah.

Betrayal for love for me it was someone that betrayed danny because they loved someone...

One of the cautions in tale is the harm that can result from paranoia.  Take prophecies too seriously and it can lead to mistrust and suspicion.  Robb denies shelter to Tyrion.  Cersei tried to kill Tyrion to prevent the valonqar prophecy from coming true.  Prophecies are tests to the character.  They are vague enough in order to give the future some room. 

Archived