Why did Jon Arryn raise his banners ?

Mario Seddy

After the mad King called for the heads of ned and Robert, why did jon arryn raise his banners for ned and Robert ? Why couldn't he just send Ned and Robert to their respective Kingdoms and let them fight the mad king ? Why did he risk his life and his kingdom ? Why did he take such a risk ? 

He probably didn’t see it as a just act and the fact that Rickard and Brandon got killed by the mad king, most likely made him want to rebel. 
Plus he saw both Ned and Robert as the sons he never had. He wouldn’t have let them fight this war by themselves. It would be out of character for him.

31 minutes ago, Ser Leftwich said:

Aerys had also just executed Elbert Arryn, Jon's nephew and heir, as well as Kyle Royce, one of Jon's subjects/men from the Vale.

Exactly. All of this, plus the murder of Rickard and Brandon, and that's on top of all the evidence pointing to the fact that Aerys was mad and cruel. And had Arryn obeyed, who’s to say that Aerys wouldn’t make more crazy demands afterwards? 

8 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Jon Arryn's not the Lord Paramount I'm surprised at regarding Robert's Rebellion. I'm surprised at Hoster Tully; why did he not cut his losses and support Aerys to disassociate himself from the Starks?

Hoster had reasons he could look to:

Hoster had also lost a subject/man, in Jeffory Mallister.

Also, depending on if the Lysa/Jaime match was going forward, he lost that connection, both because of Aerys.

If Aerys can just execute Rickard, why not any LP?

Also, maybe he was won over by Robert's charm, and the convincing of Jon and Ned.

On 11/6/2019 at 9:29 PM, Angel Eyes said:

Jon Arryn's not the Lord Paramount I'm surprised at regarding Robert's Rebellion. I'm surprised at Hoster Tully; why did he not cut his losses and support Aerys to disassociate himself from the Starks?

The Mallister murder would've meant that the non die gard Targ houses stayed put, they didn't want risk their noses but help a mad king wasn't something they were eager to, so Ned and Old Jon show with 2 Kigdoms behind them and ready to everyhing to get Hoster on board, the rest,,,

6 hours ago, Mario Seddy said:

After the mad King called for the heads of ned and Robert, why did jon arryn raise his banners for ned and Robert ? Why couldn't he just send Ned and Robert to their respective Kingdoms and let them fight the mad king ? Why did he risk his life and his kingdom ? Why did he take such a risk ? 

Probably because Jon thought of Ned and Robert as son's. Plus Aerys just killed Jon's own heir. Add that on top of Aerys killing everyone (but one person) who rode with Brandon to KL and any of their fathers who showed up. 

6 hours ago, Mario Seddy said:

Jon Arryn should have obeyed his king but he chose to save the lives of two boys.  It was a very irresponsible decision because a lot of innocent highborn and common born died.  The math is bad.  Hundreds of thousands died, the land and the resources damaged just to save the lives of two boys. 

Why did King Aerys request the deaths of Ned and Robert?  It is certainty that Brandon was tortured and questioned.  He revealed something that implicated Ned and Robert.  Brandon deserved to be killed by Aerys.  Rickard, Ned, and Robert are conditionally deserving.  They are deserving of whatever Aerys wanted to do with them if they were planning to remove the Targaryens from the throne. 

6 minutes ago, Tai Pan said:

Jon Arryn should have obeyed his king but he chose to save the lives of two boys.  It was a very irresponsible decision because a lot of innocent highborn and common born died.  The math is bad.  Hundreds of thousands died, the land and the resources damaged just to save the lives of two boys. 

Why did King Aerys request the deaths of Ned and Robert?  It is certainty that Brandon was tortured and questioned.  He revealed something that implicated Ned and Robert.  Brandon deserved to be killed by Aerys.  Rickard, Ned, and Robert are conditionally deserving.  They are deserving of whatever Aerys wanted to do with them if they were planning to remove the Targaryens from the throne. 

Hopefully, they made a great demonstration of the sic semper tyrannis statement. Aerys should've pulled a Maegor, at least his family would get to live, Brandon deserved to be killed...

I found rather odd why Ned nor Robert thought or even hint they were planning something but Targ fans assest they were.

5 minutes ago, frenin said:

Hopefully, they made a great demonstration of the sic semper tyrannis statement. Aerys should've pulled a Maegor, at least his family would get to live, Brandon deserved to be killed...

I found rather odd why Ned nor Robert thought or even hint they were planning something but Targ fans assest they were.

I am indeed a Targaryen fan and yes, I would support Aerys executing Brandon.  Brandon had to have confessed something that led Aerys to suspect Ned and Robert. 

7 minutes ago, Tai Pan said:

I am indeed a Targaryen fan and yes, I would support Aerys executing Brandon.  Brandon had to have confessed something that led Aerys to suspect Ned and Robert. 

Just as someone had to confess him something that led the Mad King  to  suspect Jaime Lannister was the Knight if the laughing tree a traitor and there to kill him.

Aerys is a misunderstood guy.

10 hours ago, Mario Seddy said:

Brandon rode fully-armed into the red keep and threatened the king's family.  No one would have had any problem with his death.  Rickard could have begged the king's forgiveness instead of asking for a trial.  Aerys can be reasoned with as proven by Barristan's request to spare Dontos Hollard.  He also spared Ethan.  Who repaid the mercy by fighting the king's guards at the tower. 

Robert will be a future thorn in the side because he is not going to forget Lyanna.  He had to be dealt with.  Eddard Stark should accept the death sentence on Brandon but might want revenge for Rickard.  He had to go. 

Logically Aerys was slowly pulling the realm apart, he would have faced possible rebellions from the North and Stormlands anyway, albeit perhaps not as one entity, perhaps he would have crushed them both, individually, then the repercussions would have been truly immense. Aerys could no longer count on Lannister support, no longer count on anything but token Dornish/Tyrell support, lost the respect of the Northmen/many Stormlanders. Logically, if plans really were in motion, Jon Arryn hit a goldmine when Aerys demanded heads, by raising his own banners when he did he gave himself the best possible odds of having 2 other kingdoms behind his own, the two most powerful loyalists sitting out the war, the pissed off Dornish essentially turning a blind eye, with that, the fate of the realm was really in the hands of Hoster Tully. Of course, he couldn’t have foreseen the jackpot that was Tywin marching on KL

That, in my opinion was the logical reason, the iron had never been hotter

6 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Brandon rode fully-armed into the red keep and threatened the king's family.  No one would have had any problem with his death.

No one?? Are you sure?? Brandon went there fully armored because Rhaegar had disappeared with his little sister, i thibk that more than one would've had a problem with his death,

18 hours ago, Mario Seddy said:

For personal gain and advancement. 

Oath to the crown versus his opinion of said King & heir, relations with Rickard Stark, Elbert Arryn's execution, his relationship with Robert/Ned and what Aerys was demanding of him, and doing what he thought was morally sound. Hard choice.

Archived