Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance v. 4.0

Spaßvogel

Well seeing as a couple of you are reading, or at least planning on reading the book...Kim Harrison will be appearing online to discuss her latest novel on July 30th as part of Penguin Worlds Book Club.  I have no idea if they will upload the video afterwards, they seem to upload about half of them to youtube afterwards so a 50/50 chance.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/penguin-worlds-book-club-american-demon-by-kim-harrison-tickets-109002210546

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that this week "Tales from the Folly: A Rivers of London Short Story Collection" by Ben Aaronovitch was released.  It contains the following short stories that were previously published:

The Home Crowd Advantage
The Domestic
The Cockpit
The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Granny
King of The Rats
A Rare Book of Cunning Device
A Dedicated Follower of Fashion
Favourite Uncle
Vanessa Sommer’s Other Christmas List
Three Rivers, Two Husbands and a Baby
Moments One-Three

I can't recall having read any of the short stories, I certainly don't own any of them so will probably pick this up.  Has anyone read any of them?  I assume they would be enjoyable for anyone who loves the series?

I have read some of them. (They are included as extras in some editions of his books.)

I would say they are a bit mixed, some good, some feeling a bit like filler. And they tend to be short. Unless one of the ones I have not read is a novella I doubt that the whole collection is that long. So I would suggest that only serious fans or completists read this (though I probably will).

5 hours ago, A wilding said:

I have read some of them. (They are included as extras in some editions of his books.)

I would say they are a bit mixed, some good, some feeling a bit like filler. And they tend to be short. Unless one of the ones I have not read is a novella I doubt that the whole collection is that long. So I would suggest that only serious fans or completists read this (though I probably will).

Amazon says it is 139 pages in total so you're right that it isn't long.

I agree it's unlikely to be essential reading but I'll probably pick it up at some point.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got a weekend free from work and read the latest Rachel Morgan book.  It's been a crazy period due to COVID creating a lot more work, but better to be busy than no job.

I thought it was very good.  I'm still not convinced about the series re-starting, and if there hadn't been the previous ending (and future snapshot) I think I would have thought this book was a good next step in the series.  I would quite like to know how Harrison reconciles the future snapshot with the new books - is the snapshot still cannon?  Or is now kind of dumped and the future could be very different? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I had no idea there was still more that could be squeezed out of this series. 

https://karenmoning.com/novels/fever-series/kingdom-of-shadow-and-light/

I stopped at the fifth book. The next two about Dani seemed a stretch and the next few even more so and yet, we have a new one in this series released this week. 

Edited by kairparavel

@kairparavel I stopped after Iced which I hated which depressed me because I loved the first five.  And I thought Shadowfever was a fantastic conclusion. A rare instance where I was surprised and satisfied.  I wonder if KMM will really be able to stop after this latest one.  Btw, did you see ACOSF hit #1 on the NYTimes Adult hardcover list?  I still haven't started it yet.

On 2/26/2021 at 11:47 AM, kairparavel said:

I did not see that. My library hold came up so I'm about 10% into it. It's typical SJM so far.

I'm starting it tonight. I am not expecting to love it. SJM would have to work words craft miracles to make me enjoy reading about Nesta.  Btw I saw a post on twitter by the author Samantha Shannon who had jumped from reading ACOTAR to this one and was like what happened to Tamlin?  :rofl:

4 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

I'm starting it tonight. I am not expecting to love it. SJM would have to work words craft miracles to make me enjoy reading about Nesta.  Btw I saw a post on twitter by the author Samantha Shannon who had jumped from reading ACOTAR to this one and was like what happened to Tamlin?  :rofl:

There's been a lot of swearing. I only point it out because I don't recall any curse words or at least very few in the other books. I wonder if this is some byproduct of her Crescent City series.  

This book has not shown any progression stylistically. Tamlin. Just you wait! :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

WILD SIGN by Patricia Briggs is a book that I preordered the moment I saw it was coming out and tore into when it came out last night. I didn't stop until I was finished. I love the world of Patricia Briggs' MERCY THOMPSON and ALPHA AND OMEGA series and have followed each volume as they've come out since the series started. I like Mercy slightly more than I like Anna and Charles but that's threading a very thin needle.

This volume has the disappearance of a small village in the middle of nowhere investigated by everyone's second favorite group of werewolves (after Alcide in True Blood and maybe the ones in Teen Wolf). The FBI wants to make an alliance with the werewolves after the US government disastrously acquitted the serial rapist and murderer of fairies in FAIR GAME. Sadly, that book seems more and more prophetic with the racial tensions that have since become increasingly in the public eye since the book's release.

Neither Charles nor Anna nor Bran the Marrok trust the FBI but are willing to look into the matter. I was a bit disappointed the agents didn't play a bigger role to be honest as I'm very interested in the political elements of this world. However, what follows is an excellent mystery that contains many twists and turns. Black Witches, Eldritch Abominations, Sleeping Gods, supernatural pacts, mysterious pregnancies, and creepy old folks homes are all part of this story.

We also finally get the story of Leah, the Marrok's wife, who we mostly know through Mercy's dedicated dislike. It turns out she has a very good reason for being so perpetually miserable. I admit, I would very much like to see her more in future books after her portrayal here. One of my few criticisms of the books is Mercy and Anna sometimes seem to be the only likable women in their respective worlds (and that's from their perspective).

There's also some homages to the Cthulhu Mythos, though humorously so as the world is primarily a Judaeo-Christian one with elements of pagan as well as Native American mythology. There's very little room for occult materialist horror monsters and it kind of makes fun of the entire Cthulhu concept. I, as a longstanding HPL fan, laughed.

Definitely worth checking out. Unfortunately, I must also add that $13 is a lot of money for a Kindle book and I may be spoiled for very good indies by comparison at a fraction of the cost.

I happened to notice yesterday that Ben Aaronovitch has a Rivers of London novella out last week focusing on Peter's cousin Abigail - "What Abigail Did That Summer".  It takes place during that earlier book when Peter is out of town so he is not around.  It's mainly set in and around Hampstead Heath.  It's about 200 pages so enough to get a story.  I started it and its enjoyable.  I'm actually thinking I might give it to a friend's teenage daughter who enjoys fantasy as a gateway to the Rivers of London series as so far its pretty appropriate for younger readers.

@kairparavel I've been meaning to come back to report on A Court of Silver Flames. It was about what I expected it to be. I knew I would absolutely hate Nesta at the beginning so that was a slog.  I really had no interest in her romantic relationship with Cassian so I skimmed a lot of that.  So what was the point?  I love Maas's locations and story settings.  I absolutely loved the house Nesta stayed in and how it developed a personality and would deliver food and books to her.  And those endless stairs and Nesta's training to conquer them.  I loved the library and the levels and the darkness down there.  That woodsy swampy place Nesta went to to get the first item with that pool of water and that creature down there.  And then the two new female friends for Nesta and their friendship and how they bonded in training together and supported one another and how they went through the challenge at the end together.  I enjoyed all those moments.  Overall the story was a mess and the ending with what Nesta gives up and keeps for herself...omg that was quite a ridiculous.  But I will keep reading the series for the things I like.  I've accepted I'm never going to like an entire book of Maas's the way I did A Court of Thorns and Roses.

@lady narcissa I feel pretty much the same way. So much of her story telling is poor and/or problematic but there are elements she nails, like female friendship. I really liked the bonds Nesta and co formed with one another. It's right up there with Manon and The Thirteen. I enjoyed the Velaris Hunger Games even. But yeah, the rest was meh. I guess I'm glad Rhysand didn't bite the baby out of the womb. Will I be interested in the Elain book? Unclear. 

Guys, can we avoid spoilers a bit?  I'm like @lady narcissa, that I haven't kept up with that series.  But do plan to go back. 

Also, is it really paranormal romance and not just fantasy?  

On 3/18/2021 at 8:27 AM, C.T. Phipps said:

WILD SIGN by Patricia Briggs is a book that I preordered the moment I saw it was coming out and tore into when it came out last night. I didn't stop until I was finished. I love the world of Patricia Briggs' MERCY THOMPSON and ALPHA AND OMEGA series and have followed each volume as they've come out since the series started. I like Mercy slightly more than I like Anna and Charles but that's threading a very thin needle.

I've read all of the Mercy Thompson books, but only the first one or two of the others.  I probably should go back and catch them up, I do buy them! :laugh:

On 3/23/2021 at 12:17 PM, lady narcissa said:

I happened to notice yesterday that Ben Aaronovitch has a Rivers of London novella out last week focusing on Peter's cousin Abigail - "What Abigail Did That Summer".  It takes place during that earlier book when Peter is out of town so he is not around.  It's mainly set in and around Hampstead Heath.  It's about 200 pages so enough to get a story.  I started it and its enjoyable.  I'm actually thinking I might give it to a friend's teenage daughter who enjoys fantasy as a gateway to the Rivers of London series as so far its pretty appropriate for younger readers.

I'm always a bit put off by Aaronvitch's novellas because they're so expensive.  That one is more than most full books cost on Amazon.  

On 3/24/2021 at 1:30 AM, C.T. Phipps said:

I just finished Tanya Huff's Vicki Nelson/Blood series.

Really impressed by that book.

It's wet my vampire whistle (or fangs).

I read these via Library books a long time ago, and would love to redo.  It is so frustrating that these are not on UK Kindle.  I mean, she wrote the first one in 1991.  Had anyone written about Vampires in urban fantasy back then as anything except villains?  These must be amongst the most definitive, influential books in modern literature, and they can't be bought on kindle!!!!!  People reference Anita Blake, but Vicki Nelson was published two years earlier.  

It's frustrating how many books are still not on Kindle, even contemporary ones (like some of Seanan McGuire's books). 

Edit: Just saw Huff's confederation books are no longer available as ebooks.  Thankfully I bought them a while ago.  How the hell can quality fiction like this not be sold as Kindle?????

Edited by ants