Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance v. 4.0

Spaßvogel

13 hours ago, dog-days said:

Just given up on the first Harry Dresden book. I was prepared for it being a bit lame, having been warned that it was written for an assignment as a joke, but I couldn't find anything to like about it, and the way the female characters were described gave me the creeps. Ugh. 

It's even more painful to read if you live in Chicago since the Chicago in his book is not really Chicago.  (He originally wrote the first book as set in Kansas City but there is another series set in Kansas City so it was advised he change the location so he looked at a globe, spotted Chicago and decided to set it there...but didn't change anything except the name of the city.  Ugh.)

2 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

It's even more painful to read if you live in Chicago since the Chicago in his book is not really Chicago.  (He originally wrote the first book as set in Kansas City but there is another series set in Kansas City so it was advised he change the location so he looked at a globe, spotted Chicago and decided to set it there...but didn't change anything except the name of the city.  Ugh.)

That sounds like a truly awful way to decide where to set a UF series. 

16 hours ago, dog-days said:

Just given up on the first Harry Dresden book. I was prepared for it being a bit lame, having been warned that it was written for an assignment as a joke, but I couldn't find anything to like about it, and the way the female characters were described gave me the creeps. Ugh.

I'm glad it wasn't my introduction to urban fantasy. (Thank you, Ben Aaronovitch). 

Sadly it hasn't gotten all that much better 21 years later.  

3 minutes ago, dog-days said:

That sounds like a truly awful way to decide where to set a UF series. 

It's actually even worse than that.  The other fantasy series was set in St. Louis not Kansas City, but they're both Missouri, and apparently you can't have that.  (Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake books were the other series)

11 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Sadly it hasn't gotten all that much better 21 years later.  

It's actually even worse than that.  The other fantasy series was set in St. Louis not Kansas City, but they're both Missouri, and apparently you can't have that.  (Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake books were the other series)

Crazy. I'm still looking for a good UF series set in the UK but outside London, since things seem to work the opposite way round here. (You have to set your fantasy series in London). 

Crazy. I'm still looking for a good UF series set in the UK but outside London, since things seem to work the opposite way round here. (You have to set your fantasy series in London). 

It is kind of weird how it works like that.  I did enjoy Stina Leicht's The Fey and the Fallen books, would have liked more than two though.  I would also recommend looking at Graham Joyce's books for some non-London centric urban fantasy - they are all one offs though.  Especially The Tooth Fairy (Coventry), The Facts of Life (also the Coventry area) and Some Kind of Fairy Tale (Leicestershire).

My Victorian UF series (Resurrection Men, Lord of the Hunt), are set in Glasgow :P

The pub where the MC’s drink in is real and has many of the same fixtures and fittings it did in 1893.

Will be four books when done. And the Glasgow is pretty authentic where I was able. The Highlands area in book 2 is a real place but heavily fictionalised. You coukd use the descriptions of Dunkellen House to get around Pollok House as I pretty much copied and renamed it.

My contemporary UF is a supernatural police UF similar to Rivers of London but set in Glasgow, and is in a shared universe with the Victorian ones above. Currently with my agent being offered to publishers.

28 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

My Victorian UF series (Resurrection Men, Lord of the Hunt), are set in Glasgow :P

The pub where the MC’s drink in is real and has many of the same fixtures and fittings it did in 1893.

Will be four books when done. And the Glasgow is pretty authentic where I was able. The Highlands area in book 2 is a real place but heavily fictionalised. You coukd use the descriptions of Dunkellen House to get around Pollok House as I pretty much copied and renamed it.

My contemporary UF is a supernatural police UF similar to Rivers of London but set in Glasgow, and is in a shared universe with the Victorian ones above. Currently with my agent being offered to publishers.

Good luck getting your UF taken on by a publisher. The world needs a Glasgow UF series! 

Will give your Victorian series a go. 

• 5 weeks later...
13 hours ago, ants said:

Added the Craft Sequence to the #2 list of completed series. It doesn't seem like there are anymore coming (I can't find any references anyway). 

I would definitely read more if Gladstone wrote them and there's plenty of scope for doing so but I also haven't seen any indication that more are planned.

5 hours ago, williamjm said:

I would definitely read more if Gladstone wrote them and there's plenty of scope for doing so but I also haven't seen any indication that more are planned.

His website doesn't have an update on the Craft Sequence in the last few years, and his blog seems to have stopped. I bought and read his latest book (Empress of forever, quite enjoyable but not as good), so maybe he isn't writing any more. Which is a damn shame. The Craft Sequence is amazing, and the last book was arguably the best of them. 

16 hours ago, ants said:

His website doesn't have an update on the Craft Sequence in the last few years, and his blog seems to have stopped. I bought and read his latest book (Empress of forever, quite enjoyable but not as good), so maybe he isn't writing any more. Which is a damn shame. The Craft Sequence is amazing, and the last book was arguably the best of them. 

I agree The Ruin of Angels might have been my favourite of the series. I suppose at least it ends on a high if he isn't going to do more.

It looks like he has a new (non-Craft sequence) book out soon:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Last-Exit-Max-Gladstone/dp/0765335735/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=max+gladstone&qid=1632852353&sr=8-7

American Gods meets The Dark Tower in Last Exit, a dark, contemporary fantasy of the open road, alternate realities, and self-discovery, from a Locus Award-nominated and Hugo and Nebula Award-winning writer Max Gladstone.

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2021 at 8:34 PM, ants said:

Have been on a bender reading craft sequence this last couple weeks.. reading out of chronological and published order, thus I am now in the middle of Full Fathom Five with only the last book left.. these are well written books with great characters and plot, but full fathom five has pushed this series over the edge into exalted territory for me, funny though that I was aware of the books before now without any interest, Jah know.. shades of Long Price Quartet.. nothing happens before the time ..

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 1:36 PM, shortstark said:

Have been on a bender reading craft sequence this last couple weeks.. reading out of chronological and published order, thus I am now in the middle of Full Fathom Five with only the last book left.. these are well written books with great characters and plot, but full fathom five has pushed this series over the edge into exalted territory for me, funny though that I was aware of the books before now without any interest, Jah know.. shades of Long Price Quartet.. nothing happens before the time ..

Check out Robert Jackson Bennett's The Divine Cities trilogy when you're in the mood for something similar and also excellent.

Jade City (the first book in the Greenbone Saga) is really cool urban fantasy set in a pastiche of 1970s Hong Kong; it has some great action scenes and plays off a lot of gangster film tropes. It centers around the Lan siblings who are struggling to keep control of the island nation of Kekon while contending with their own family dysfunction and rival gangs. The female characters are treated seriously and not just as love interests to be killed off and one of the lead POVs is gay without it being played as a joke or a tragedy.

Gladstone has more craft books planned, don't know when he plans on writing them though.

Oh and while I'm in here, anyone have thoughts on the October Daye(I think I spelled that right) series? The opinions on goodreads on that one are...wildly different.

(I need to go back and read this thread it seems)

Edited by El Kabong

• 3 months later...

@Fragile Bird I'm going to try to paste some of your quotes from the First Quarter Reading post regarding Crescent City and respond to them here...hopefully they paste over...

And the last chapter is a delightful shocker that I did not see coming, even though, honest to God, I mused about it happening while reading the first book.

Okay I love spoilers but I was not even seeking them out for the Crescent City series because I just at this point did not care that much but I rather inadvertently saw a spoiler on Instagram so I know what it is.  Let me just say...

Spoiler

I am not thrilled about it. I sort of hate when worlds collide like this.  And I am a big fan of series coming to an end instead of spinning off into never ending sagas. And part of me slightly wonders if less people were buying CC than the other two series and if this is a way to suck those readers/buyers in. But we shall see where it goes.

Thank the gods Maas is a demon fast writer and the next book will likely be out in a year, because the cliffhanger is wonderful.

I almost wonder if we are going to have a long painful wait on this cliffhanger. SJM just had a second baby last week. Plus she sold her house in Pennsylvania, spend 6 months in Hawaii, and moved to California in the past year.  And has also spent the past year working with Ron Moore on the possible Hulu series of A Court of Thorn and Roses books.  I am just going to guess that maybe that will have slowed down with her new book writing.  But maybe she is super woman writer?  I think we got some false expectations set up with her early string of publishing since she did have so many things finished/outlined before her first book was ever published and that allowed for just a domino of publishing books every year like that. But we shall see.

In any event, I am rereading the first Crescent City book (sorry I cannot for the life of me remember the breath and life and blood titles and just default to the series name) and will report back before starting the second one.

I look forward to more discussion!

Spoiler

I really did think about cross-pollination because of the fact she used the same kinds of people/fae/shifters in the two series. It seems to be that stories about people crossing through space/time rifts are popular. Hell, Alice in Wonderland was basically that!

• 1 month later...

@Fragile Bird Sorry, it took me F-O-R-E-V-E-R to reread the first Crescent City and then equally long plus some to read the second one.  It's way too long, there are way too many plot lines and the romance taking over from the urban fantasy dominance of the first one made it less interesting to me.  I just do not like Hunt that much.  The friendships between the characters are probably my favorite part of the series.  Oh you might find this interesting, SJM did a spoiler filled interview about the ending of the second book with some stuff revealed about book 3 which she has finished a first draft of:  

On 3/29/2022 at 12:26 AM, lady narcissa said:

@Fragile Bird Sorry, it took me F-O-R-E-V-E-R to reread the first Crescent City and then equally long plus some to read the second one.  It's way too long, there are way too many plot lines and the romance taking over from the urban fantasy dominance of the first one made it less interesting to me.  I just do not like Hunt that much.  The friendships between the characters are probably my favorite part of the series.  Oh you might find this interesting, SJM did a spoiler filled interview about the ending of the second book with some stuff revealed about book 3 which she has finished a first draft of:  

Lol, I said she wrote at demon speed!

I can’t look at it now, will comment later!