Eddard reread

Yaya

Hello, all you reading this thread ... i am re-re-reading the series again and I'm quoting from Eddard1:

(setting the scene:  the King & his crew are arriving at Winterfell)
"Ned knew many of the riders. There came Ser Jaime Lannister with hair as bright as beaten gold, and there Sandor Clegane with his terrible burned face. The tall boy beside him could only be the crown prince, and that stunted little man behind them was surely the Imp, Tyrion Lannister."

... WAS SURELY the Imp .. which leads me to think that he never met the "Imp" before.  Because, I would think that once meeting Tyrion that one would remember him.  Hence the preface of "was surely" ... because if not, then what?  
What do you all think?  am I jumping to conclusions?

We have never heard/read a reference nor remembrance of Eddard to the wedding of Cersei & Robert.  Wouldn't we if it were joyful?

I put to you all that Eddard had never met Tyrion before this occasion of the Winterfell visit AND that Eddard was not at the wedding of Cersei and Robert. 
Tyrion would have most definitely been at Cersei's wedding. 
If Eddard never met Tyrion before then he wasn't at the wedding.
What does this mean if so? 
The "wrothness" about Lyanna's death was still too fresh for Ned to think Robert should wed and thus a boycott of sorts?

I don't know what to think. 
I'm just on a re-read and am interested if anyone else has an opinion on this or any ideas in that regard.

Thanks for reading!

On 11/9/2019 at 12:33 AM, Yaya said:

Hello, all you reading this thread ... i am re-re-reading the series again and I'm quoting from Eddard1:

"Ned knew many of the riders. There came Ser Jaime Lannister with hair as bright as beaten gold, and there Sandor Clegane with his terrible burned face. The tall boy beside him could only be the crown prince, and that stunted little man behind them was surely the Imp, Tyrion Lannister."

... WAS SURELY the Imp .. which leads me to think that he never met the "Imp" before.  Because, I would think that once meeting Tyrion that one would remember him.  Hence the preface of "was surely" ... because if not, then what?  

We have never heard/read a reference nor remembrance of Eddard to the wedding of Cersei & Robert.  Wouldn't we if it were joyful?

I put to you all that Eddard had never met Tyrion before this occasion of the Winterfell visit AND that Eddard was not at the wedding of Cersei and Robert. 
The "wrothness" about Lyanna's death was still too fresh for Ned to think Robert should wed and thus a boycott of sorts?

I'm just on a re-read and am interested if anyone else has an opinion on this or any ideas in that regard.

Thanks for reading!

I am not so sure about this. Tyrion would have been a boy still, and didn't Tywin keep Tyrion close, not hidden, but not on display either? Were Robert and Cersei wed in King's Landing or Casterly Rock? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2019 at 12:33 AM, Yaya said:

Thanks for reading!

Or Tyrion was not at the wedding. Cersei is the bride, after all, and she wouldn't want the stunted little man at her wedding, where he would have a prominent role as her brother. And Tywin probably wouldn't want to parade him in front of the kingdom either.

On 11/14/2019 at 11:51 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

I am not so sure about this. Tyrion would have been a boy still, and didn't Tywin keep Tyrion close, not hidden, but not on display either? Were Robert and Cersei wed in King's Landing or Casterly Rock? 

Robert and Cersei were marred at the Great Sept of Baelor in King's Landing.

20 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

Or Tyrion was not at the wedding. Cersei is the bride, after all, and she wouldn't want the stunted little man at her wedding, where he would have a prominent role as her brother. And Tywin probably wouldn't want to parade him in front of the kingdom either.

He was at the wedding. Tyrion II, AGoT. 

14 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Then Eddard was not at the wedding, correct? 

There's nothing that says otherwise as far as I can tell. 

The war ended in the final months of 283. The wedding was in 284. Ned would have stopped by King's Landing on his way back north from Dorne, because we're told that Lyanna's death reconciled him and Robert after they had a falling out over the murders of Rhaenys and Aegon. 

Did the wedding happen right after that? In which case he might have been there, but didn't really notice all that much around him because of his grief. Or maybe he just went home right away. 

If the wedding happened in late 284, maybe he begged off. I can't see him attending Robert's wedding to Cersei when he can't stomach the Lannisters.

On 11/28/2019 at 10:17 AM, Alexis-something-Rose said:

There's nothing that says otherwise as far as I can tell. 

The war ended in the final months of 283. The wedding was in 284. Ned would have stopped by King's Landing on his way back north from Dorne, because we're told that Lyanna's death reconciled him and Robert after they had a falling out over the murders of Rhaenys and Aegon. 

Did the wedding happen right after that? In which case he might have been there, but didn't really notice all that much around him because of his grief. Or maybe he just went home right away. 

If the wedding happened in late 284, maybe he begged off. I can't see him attending Robert's wedding to Cersei when he can't stomach the Lannisters.

If he had stayed, so would have Lyanna's corpse. All agreed best to move on  probably.

Archived