Did the targaryen name still have weight after Robert's Rebellion ?

Mario Seddy

Yes. the story has been clear on this.  The Targaryen name is well-known all over Westeros and Planetos.  You have to only look at the guest list on Dany's wedding day to know this.  The heavyweights like the archon and the magisters were there.  The highest ranking Khal wanted to marry a Targaryen princess so badly that he agreed to cross the poisoned waters to take her brother's kingdom back for him. 

I saw more than a few questions of this kind down below.  It seems you are trying to imply that the Targaryens are hated by the majority of people.  And that is simply not the case.  These kinds of questions misrepresent the Targaryen family.  The attempt to paint them as has-beens and non-factors is not gaining traction, sorry. 

19 minutes ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

It seems you are trying to imply that the Targaryens are hated by the majority of people.  And that is simply not the case.  These kinds of questions misrepresent the Targaryen family.  The attempt to paint them as has-beens and non-factors is not gaining traction, sorry.

Don’t think he was implying anything, he probably thinks they are hated or is unsure whether they are. So he asks the forums to help him with his curiosity. 

11 hours ago, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

Yes. the story has been clear on this.  The Targaryen name is well-known all over Westeros and Planetos.  You have to only look at the guest list on Dany's wedding day to know this.  The heavyweights like the archon and the magisters were there.  The highest ranking Khal wanted to marry a Targaryen princess so badly that he agreed to cross the poisoned waters to take her brother's kingdom back for him. 

I saw more than a few questions of this kind down below.  It seems you are trying to imply that the Targaryens are hated by the majority of people.  And that is simply not the case.  These kinds of questions misrepresent the Targaryen family.  The attempt to paint them as has-beens and non-factors is not gaining traction, sorry. 

10 hours ago, The Young Maester said:

Don’t think he was implying anything, he probably thinks they are hated or is unsure whether they are. So he asks the forums to help him with his curiosity. 

The Targaryen line is the most celebrated family in the whole story.  Their glory cannot be matched by any other family.  Let us get to the core of the matter.  The Stark family do not even come close to the glory of the Targaryens. 

5 minutes ago, Sire de Maletroit said:

The Targaryen line is the most celebrated family in the whole story.  Their glory cannot be matched by any other family.  Let us get to the core of the matter.  The Stark family do not even come close to the glory of the Targaryens. 

Not sure why you quoting me for. This has nothing to do with what I just wrote.

If youre trying bait people into arguments, I suggest you find someone else. 

14 minutes ago, The Young Maester said:

Not sure why you quoting me for. This has nothing to do with what I just wrote.

If youre trying bait people into arguments, I suggest you find someone else. 

Anything you post can be quoted.  Anybody can respond to a post on a public forum.  Don't post if you don't like it.  Frankly, I don't care what you like or don't like.  Have yourself a nice day. 

12 hours ago, Mario Seddy said:

After Robert's Rebellion did the targaryen name still carry weight and respect in westeros after the targaryens were disposed and exiled and 5 of the 7 Kingdoms hated the targaryens ? 

The Targaryen rule was not that long ago.  People still consider them the real rulers of westeros.  That's why Robert is called usurper.  

12 hours ago, Mario Seddy said:

After Robert's Rebellion did the targaryen name still carry weight and respect in westeros after the targaryens were disposed and exiled and 5 of the 7 Kingdoms hated the targaryens ? 

Yes the Targaryen name still carry the most respect in Westeros.  The Targaryens were in power for 300 years.

The Targaryen dynasty ruled the 7 Kingdoms for nearly 300 years, so yes their name carried weight even during Robert's reign. At that time, they were a shadow of their past glory, but their dragons, Valyrian heritage and unique nature and how they distinguished themselves in some ways from others in Westeros were not so quickly forgotten. I wouldn't say 5 kingdoms hated the Targaryens, I don't think there's enough to suggest that. Sure, some folks hated them but to say 5 kingdoms did is too far imho, and I feel like prior to the rebellion most anger and ill will towards them was because of Aerys not the House per se

2 hours ago, The Ghost Beyond the Wall said:

but their dragons,

Yup. The Targaryen name AND their dragons had weight.

Once the dragons were gone, they were just ordinary humans ... and other people started realizing that.
Their family and their names were proven ordinary in Robert's Rebellion.

But now their name is back in full force as Daenerys Targaryen birthed 3 dragons, and they are still growing.

On 11/9/2019 at 6:40 AM, Mario Seddy said:

Of course the Targaryen name still carries weight in Westeros. Look at how long the Blackfyre name had some kick to it and they were failed pretenders.

Yes.  The capital is still called Kings Landing.  We encounter members of the Smallfolk who remember the Targaryens with affection.  Sarella/Alleras openly drinks a toast to Daenerys in Old Town.

If Dany were the only Targaryen, she'd have immense support in Westeros, after years of civil war.  Her problem is that people will think that fAegon is a true Targaryen, and welcome his return.  They won't welcome someone who says he's a fraud.  Dany will be seen as trying to steal her "nephew's" birthright.

On 11/9/2019 at 6:40 AM, Mario Seddy said:

The Targaryen name will always carry “weight” and respect.  The calendar uses the Targaryen conquest as the reference point.  The start of civilization.   No other family are their equal.  

On 11/11/2019 at 8:45 AM, SeanF said:

Yes.  The capital is still called Kings Landing.  We encounter members of the Smallfolk who remember the Targaryens with affection.  Sarella/Alleras openly drinks a toast to Daenerys in Old Town.

If Dany were the only Targaryen, she'd have immense support in Westeros, after years of civil war.  Her problem is that people will think that fAegon is a true Targaryen, and welcome his return.  They won't welcome someone who says he's a fraud.  Dany will be seen as trying to steal her "nephew's" birthright.

Daenerys has the dragons to prove her identity and her claim.  Any proof coming from Aegon will not measure up.  He will be seen as a fraud.

On 11/10/2019 at 8:56 AM, Mordred said:

Do they still carry weight?  The highest currency denomination is the Golden Dragon.  Yeah their name still carry weight.  They lost the awe when the dragons went away but the house name and the family still carry a lot of respect. 

Targaryen gold.  The golden dragon is higher than the silver stag.  And remember also, Robert claimed Targaryen lineage to argue for his right to rule.  The Targaryens, in the eyes of many, are the only rightful rulers of Westeros.  They built the kingdom.

On 11/9/2019 at 7:24 AM, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

I take it Mario Seddy is not getting the fan reaction he wants.  :D

On 11/9/2019 at 7:00 PM, Sire de Maletroit said:

:agree:

On 11/9/2019 at 11:01 PM, The Ghost Beyond the Wall said:

The Targaryen dynasty ruled the 7 Kingdoms for nearly 300 years, so yes their name carried weight even during Robert's reign. At that time, they were a shadow of their past glory, but their dragons, Valyrian heritage and unique nature and how they distinguished themselves in some ways from others in Westeros were not so quickly forgotten. I wouldn't say 5 kingdoms hated the Targaryens, I don't think there's enough to suggest that. Sure, some folks hated them but to say 5 kingdoms did is too far imho, and I feel like prior to the rebellion most anger and ill will towards them was because of Aerys not the House per se

Most people would rather have them back after the incompetent management of the Baratheons, Arryns, and Starks.  I am a little bit partial to the Targaryens.  I love the Targaryens because they are Dany's family.

1 hour ago, Finley McLeod said:

I take it Mario Seddy is not getting the fan reaction he wants.  :D

:agree:

Most people would rather have them back after the incompetent management of the Baratheons, Arryns, and Starks.  I am a little bit partial to the Targaryens.  I love the Targaryens because they are Dany's family.

House Targaryen is my favorite house in the series too, mainly because of their dragon lord heritage/history and their dragon riding ability (followed by House Dayne). Yeah, House Targaryen has had some great rulers (Jaehaerys I and Aegon the Conqueror come to mind), and it would be neat to see Daenaerys reclaim their throne. Admittedly, Robert did a pretty poor job ruling the realm.

Archived