Football: foreVAR confused

Iskaral Pust

It's a bit concerning that Lovren appears to have leapfrogged Gomez in the pecking order of Liverpool centre backs. Firstly in terms of Gomez's development, he's clearly got the potential to be really good but going backwards isn't a great sign, and secondly because it means Lovren is playing.

Leicester are definitely looking good, but also benefiting from no European games.  So they are better rested each week and don’t need to rotate players.  They’ll have that advantage all this season, and then probably struggle next season to cope with more games.  But good to see them playing good football after recruiting very smartly and taking a chance on a new coach.

I've been seriously impressed by Vardy recently. I honestly didn't think he would fit into a Rogers side, and I always considered him pretty one dimensional, which worked brilliantly in the league winning team, but maybe not so well in a more fluid system. But he's been great, fantastic movement and he's now pretty much the most reliable striker in the Prem. 

Maybe it won't last, but have to tip my hat to how Leicester have gone about their business. 

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Also Fred is playing well I don't understand.

Fred has been playing better since he's been given a decent run in the side. Even against Bournemouth where we were quite poor, Fred was still one of the better performers - made the most final third passes, most interceptions/ball recoveries and created the most chances whereas McTominay had his worst performance in that game (aside from the game where Mourinho thought it a good idea to play him at CB). Fred is the new Fellaini/Smalling for United fans where he is singled out for criticism after a poor performance even if there were numerous other players who were worse.

Also, I must say that Brandon Williams has performed well in every appearance he has made this season. He certainly offers a lot more going forward than either Shaw or Young. He's still a bit too aggressive and rash in defence though. 

Let's just say, there have been penalties called on those handballs. So Liverpool's certainly been on the lucky side of VAR decissions today.

As for the second. Close call whether Salah was offside. Personally I think the camera angle might be a bit deceiving, so Salah was probably onside (close call however).

7 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

accidental handball (as in TAA's case), is not a penalty.

I think there’s a decent argument to be made that his arm isn’t in a natural position. Regardless, I think the wider point pretty much everyone is making at this stage is that VAR really doesn’t seem to be adding anything in terms of satisfaction with the decisions made so what’s the point of putting up with the negatives it brings?

City were on top for a concerning amount of that half but fortunately their defence isn’t very good.

24 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

People seem to be confused with the handball rules this year thanks to goals being disallowed due to any kind of hand contact, but the rules haven't changed otherwise - accidental handball (as in TAA's case), is not a penalty.

Nope. Those call have been made on the ground of the unnatural positioning/extension of his body. I could see how Liverpool's would've been screaming bloody murder if the penalty had been awarded. But it would've hardly been the first time such a penalty had been called.

I wish more teams would attack City.  Their defense is never very good, but it goes unnoticed while opponents sit deep and wait to be picked apart.

Salah was onside.  TAA’s handball looked accidental enough.  It’s not the same standard as a goal disallowed for any contact off an arm.   But considering Liverpool have had some goals harshly disallowed of late, I’m glad the VAR monster struck then rather than today.

Nervy second half ahead.  Liverpool’s defense hasn’t been great this season.  

Edit: and Bernardo Silva’s hand/arm contact with the ball immediately before TAA means a penalty is impossible there.  Under the new rule, an attacker cannot benefit from even an accidental handball.   Even if you want to claim that Bernardo’s contact was accidental but TAA’s not.

Archived