Football: foreVAR confused

Iskaral Pust

These individual awards are always nonsense, based more on reputations than performances (the FIFPro World XI is the worst - Sergio Ramos 2019’s best RB?!?), but they would be a lot better if they decided whether they are for who has had the best year or who is the best player. Messi would easily win the latter, for his 13th straight year, and Van Dijk the former. Instead they try to balance both and it ends up a mess.

It was the FA Cup 3rd round draw tonight - a Merseyside derby the pick of the fixtures. We drew West Ham which is personally brilliant, as it is my Dad’s side vs mine for the first time in about 15 years.

And Man City get another piss easy draw. 

Arsenal vs Leeds looks like it could be end-to-end fun.

We are away to Wolves so I guess we aren't getting past the third round which wouldn't be such a bad thing given our dearth of depth in midfield and forward line as well as our players dropping like flies. 

Messi is the best football player in the world but, even without my bias as a Liverpool fan, it's hard to see what more a defender could do than Van Dijk did last year. He was clearly the best defender in the world, the key player in the Champions League winning team, one of the best Premier League teams there's been even if they didn't win the title and did well internationally. I can see the argument that Messi still deserved to win but, like Mark Antony said, Van Dijk was better than Modric the year before.  

Archived