Football: foreVAR confused

Iskaral Pust

Good start. Sidibe to Richarlison accounts for three of our last five goals.

In other news, DCL has managed to show in 15 minutes what he brings and what he lacks. He works hard, has good lay-offs and a decent touch. However, when clean through, he hasn't the presence of mind to think, evaluate and take the chance. He hurries up, shoots too soon and Kepa saves all too easily.

18 hours ago, Mexal said:

Nope. This team is so bad. If you look at their winless streak over the last 9 matches, it's a pretty soft fixture list. I've given up caring for this season.

Yeah, we've been so bad. I have no idea who we would get & who would even want to come to us.

Also re: Everton/ Chelsea, is it time to hire Duncan Ferguson?

So, in keeping with grand traditions, DCL scores twice after I said he's not a great finisher.

I'm really happy for him, of course, but I do feel his finishing on those two goals just underline my message - he's more lucky  than good. That counts, luickily.

As for the game - Chelsea were given the ball to work with, but we made it difficult in defending deep and in numbers, and trusting the speed of the front four (Iwobi counted as one) would tell. Plus a lot of hard work, and pressing when we managed. It was enough today, but it also serves to underline why hiring Ferguson won't be on the cards. Very limited game plan.

That said: if Ferguson can continue to ispire for a couple of weeks, that gives us more time to find a fitting manager. 

Problem last time around - well, there were two, I guess, intertwined, but one was that Rhino really didn't succeed as interim manager, so a solution needed to be found fast. Related to that was the fact that Moshiri (well, that's the word anyway) wanted Silva. Hence our pursuit of him, ending in failure, and the appointment of Samuele, the No-God of football. 

Now, we have at least another week to look. I hope the board uses it.

At least Everton bounced back, but it’s a worrying trend (look at Utd) that teams with lots of good players have to resort to defending in numbers and relying on a coupe of speedsters to get break-away goals.  Coaching and tactics seem to be in decline again outside of Pep, Klopp and a few others. 

Yes, nice to have a comfortable game for once.  And the goals are flowing a bit more now.  Shaq, Ox and Keita added some goals from MF this week.  It’s so good to see them all looking healthy and sharp after struggling with injuries for a long time.

I’m delighted for Curtis Jones to make his PL debut as a reward for very good form in the U-23s.  He had a great pre-season in 2018 but not in 2019.  He needed to learn to not always dribble into blind alleys. It’s a great milestone for him, and it would be a huge boost to the squad if he can become a back-up for Robertson.

I’m surprised that neither Firmino (who looks tired) or Salah got some rest at 3-0 ahead of Salzburg midweek.  A win there tops the group but a draw would probably see Napoli push us into second place, while a loss would very probably kick us into the EL.  There’s a lot more riding on that game than I would have liked, but our own fault for not beating Napoli at home. 

Great win following on from a big win against Spurs. At least we know that this side knows how to counter-attack and we look more solid at the back than we did last season - our achilles heel is still facing a low block though. City dominated possession but we created enough chances ourselves as well as hit the woodwork so I'd say it was a well earned victory.

That's the title race done and dusted then. Leicester are playing well but they ain't getting close to Liverpool. The only team in the league capable of doing that is now 14 points behind. The only questions remaining are whether Liverpool are 1) going to break the 100 point mark and 2) go unbeaten.

Archived