Iskaral Pust

Football: foreVAR confused

I just got to watch the highlights now after work and it doesn’t seem stressful to me at all.  A 5-2 win, even with Mane missing two sitters.    And we were always comfortably ahead, despite conceding two ropey goals.  That’s our best attacking game in a long time, and we did it with heavy rotation in MF and attack.  Great to rest some tired legs tonight, and very pleasing to see Origi and Shaqiri play and score, and Milner and Lallana play their role.  I’m not surprised that team wouldn’t have a solid defensive shape, but it was plenty good enough. 

Mourinho finally managed to motivate the Utd players.  And somehow United are now up to 6th, despite drawing their prior two games against Villa and Sheffield.  3 points goes a long way in the mid table. 

5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

it doesn’t seem stressful to me at all.

I know I'm the guy all ready to mock you guys for your drama llamaing over how badly your season's going, but all things considered I can see how for those who watched it going 4-1 up and then missing chance after chance while giving Everton multiple chances to get back into it might be  a little bit stressful.

3 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Mourinho finally managed to motivate the Utd players.  And somehow United are now up to 6th, despite drawing their prior two games against Villa and Sheffield.  3 points goes a long way in the mid table. 

Well to be fair if Arsenal and Sheffield United win today we're back down to eighth.

I'm torn today.

On one hand, Silva's done. No way he'll win back the fans - ever. He'd have to be Guardiola and Klopp's lovechild to get close, and - surprise! - he's not. So there's that. 

On the other hand, rumours claiming we're going to David Moyes for the interim ... well, there's a way to take a bad situation and make it worse.

Yeah I don’t understand the negativity about last night. There was some dodgy moments but the result was never in doubt and we put on our best attacking performance in a while with all those changes. Shaq looking so good after not playing for months which was great to see. 
I really enjoy Klopps 4-2-3-1. Last night was a good advertisement for Sancho, even though I still think that signing is unrealistic he would slot in perfect in that formation. 

Edited by Mark Antony

Maybe today is the day arsenal will win a game of association football

Everton had more shots than we did (though one less on target). Moments before we made it 4-1, they had a fantastic chance that Lovren only just managed to stop. Perhaps the match highlights haven't represented the overall game all that well.

Some of our creative play was great, certainly much better than it has been for the past month or so, but let's not pretend that everything was perfect with the game. We still look very fragile - Everton ran straight through our midfield all game.

Another great result, but still lots of room for improvement

Honestly, watching yesterday, I wanted to sack Silva and our CBs. 

We didn't follow runners at all. Defending at its worst. 

That said, I was unimpressed with the defending from Liverpool as well. We created more chances yesterday than what we tend to do, and we could have scored more than we did (which, obviously, goes for Liverpool too).

I think that means curtains for Silva. 

The only concern for Everton fans is that reports indicate Moyes is favourite to take over with Cahill as assistant. That seems like a bad move. Everton are being run like United - there is no clear vision at either club with managerial appointments and player recruitment. As a result, both clubs are worse off now than they were 3 seasons ago despite both spending loads of money. 

Whoever takes over at Everton now also has a difficult set of upcoming fixtures to contend with. Unlikely to get that new manager bounce. 

ETA. Brucey is doing a pretty good job at Newcastle. 

Edited by Consigliere

We haven't hired Moyes yet. That may be good news.

The fans conspiracy-light-talk speculate that Kenwright would like to turn to Moyes, they do after all have 11 years of relatively successful history. However, last summer, we hired Marcel Brands to be DoF. Moyes would not appear on his list of potential managers, seeing as he prefers a more expansive brand of football, plus a focus on young, emerging players. 

Perhaps he could be persuaded to turn to Moyes for a short spell, steadying the ship, but a short term contract isn't what Moyes wants. Which would mean another sacking somewhere along the line. 

Of those fans I hear from, the consensus is "we hope Brands wins out in this fight", meaning the old guard of horrors from the PL - your Hughes, Moyes, Pulis and other geriatric remnants of the old days - are out of consideration. 

And so we wait..

Perhaps seeing how Flores has fared going back to Watford will put your board off from going back to Moyes.

I imagine Big Dunc will be able to terrify the players into playing better for a bit, so you should be okay while the search for a more suitable replacement proceeds.

1 hour ago, Soylent Brown said:

Perhaps seeing how Flores has fared going back to Watford will put your board off from going back to Moyes.

I imagine Big Dunc will be able to terrify the players into playing better for a bit, so you should be okay while the search for a more suitable replacement proceeds.

Well, I mean, if they're not scared of him, they aren't paying attention..

Newcastle are not good, and not bad, I hate that.  I have no interest in mid table obscurity, i'd rather be in a relegation battle.

CAS has reduced Chelsea's transfer ban. Club is allowed to make signings in January. Their fine has also been halved. 

Silva to Watford, surely.

I also don't think anyone's disputing Liverpool's defensive frailty this season.

But reading the posts on this thread, you'd think we were in danger of being relegated. A bit of perspective on our best start of a PL season ever wouldn't go amiss.

While I think it's unfair to blame all our defensive woes on one person (since they seem to persist no matter who Virgil's partner is, and since it's also likely in large part because our side backs play more like wingers most of the match), Lovren was arguably at least partly culpable for both Everton goals, and the goal he just prevented could easily have been an own goal. Man has no idea where the ball is most of the time, which is quite entertaining to watch, if nothing else.

Wish Gomez could rediscover his form from the start of last season.

I'm guessing Klopp is going to revert to our normal starting 11 and 4-3-3 against the Cherries. If he does, it must be slightly demoralising for the likes of Origi and Shaqiri, both of whom gave very good accounts of themselves, and both of whom looked like they'd been playing week in, week out. Origi looks so much better down the middle than on the wing, and Shaq looked lively and good in possession, in addition to a well taken goal. 

Our long passing this season has been ridiculous, even the normally limited Lovren getting in on the action with a lovely assist for Origi against the Toffees. Would love to see some stats.

Paul Joyce reported that Watford want Nigel Pearson to take over. 

He also reported in The Times that Moyes, Ancelotti, Poch, Marcelino, Ten Hag and Vítor Pereira are on Everton's shortlist.