Watch, Watched, Watching: Those aren't pillows!

RedEyedGhost

It's been Kaitlyn Dever weekend for me apparently.  I'd watched 2 episodes of Unbelievable throughout the week, and am now up to episode 7 (of 8, will finish tonight).  It's been really good, but weirding me out little with a lot of the goings on in the show occurring where I live and work and then they end up chasing down a lead in the town I went to college :eek:

Then last night I watched Booksmart, and oh my goodness, that was the funniest movie I've seen in years.  I was laughing so hard during the pizza delivery guy scene that I had to pause it.  Great performances all around, especially Dever and Feldstein.

14 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'd watched 2 episodes of Unbelievable throughout the week, and am now up to episode 7 (of 8, will finish tonight).

Finished it last night and really enjoyed the whole thing. 

I almost put in that first post that it felt like the two stories were happening at different times, but they fooled me with that news story in Marie's arc about a similar rape happening which seemed to be one of the Colorado ones.  The courtroom scene was very well done.

Thank you for starting a new Watching thread!

I finished watching the 1980's miniseries made from James Clavell's Taipan.  I just love those Golden Age era miniseries television events.  They are my favorite escapist watching.  I enjoyed the books they generally are based on, too.

Got Disney+ up and running. Of course watched the Mandalorian, but there is some old stuff I'm looking forward to dipping into. Gargoyles is as bad-ass as I remember it being as a pre-teen (Okay, not quite that bad-ass, but it's still entertaining). Now onto Escape To Witch Mountain, which I adored as a kid and hadn't thought about in decades. Tomorrow I think I'll do Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Also, those of you that haven't purchased it yet, if you have a Verizon unlimited data plan, you get a year of it for free! Saved me seventy bucks.

As I had family round this week we have been watching the final season of Game of thrones

It was obviously my second time watching and I have to say it seemed much more dull this time around:

Episode 1 for instance was the epitome of everything the show has become. Everything rushed, a huge event box ticking exercise making sure everyone has met everyone they needed to. You could have a drinking game for every time a female character gave another a snide look or looked smugly at someone. Plus dragon riding, oh god, dragon riding.

I initially though episode 2 was a return to form, best episode in years. But it was actually quite boring and the bits I loved were not that great

Episode 3 was incomprehensibly dark. Couldn’t see anything.

4 was pure filler and piece moving

5 I thought first time was a fantastic episode, but it felt very long and took ages to get going. 

And 6 was again just a serious of dumb decisions and loose ends being tied up.

Season 8 gets a lot of flak, but it’s really on a par with everything from season 5 onwards. The show has always been heading that way. 

I deeply regret this rewatch.

Saw Motherless Brooklyn the other day. It wasn't what I expected, I had gotten my wires crossed because I thought it was The Irishman... whoops.It was a decent movie and Norton was really good it just sucks that I had a different mind set and wasn't ready for this.

I am around 6 episodes into the new season of Jack Ryan and yeah, not half as good as season 1. Some really sloppy plot items. Sucks because I was really looking forward to this.

Spoiler

Where to start, a field agent with a heart condition that makes him a liability. The spy Harriet plants a bug in Jacks room on the day she knows he is scheduled to leave, so it's useless.  Her randomly showing up in time to save him, as if Max the Murderer wouldn't make sure she was dead. Uber leaving the boat to go inland and then instead of retreating back to the rivers edge he decides to go further inland and magically finds the same camp they take Greer to. Oh and how they give up after opening a single shipping container!!!!

I am sure there is a lot more I am not thinking of. It took me a minute to recognize Jaqen Hagar plays the assassin, how fitting!

I love how absolutely insane this season of Van Helsing has been.  It's always been a pretty wild show, but they really ramped it up this year.

10 hours ago, Leofric said:

Haven't started it yet, but the all reviews I've seen are very promising, so will be spending weekend binging the final season 4 of The Man in the High Castle.

That's what I'll be doing tomorrow and Sunday evening.  Really excited about it.

On 11/14/2019 at 8:54 PM, SpaceChampion said:

There is no current Survivor thread I guess due to lack of interest but WTF was that??
I don't even no how to process it. 

Oh, there's this:  https://ew.com/tv/2019/11/14/survivor-elizabeth-beisel-missy-byrd-apology/

This has been my favorite season in quite some time, especially after way last season ended.  Liz and Missy really did an amazing job at playing the game this week, using an emotionally charged situation to oust an extremely strong player that had two hidden immunity idols in her pocket.  I love how a couple of years ago people were complaining about how men were always the ones to find the hidden idols, but Kellee showed that if a woman actually looks for them, then they're there for the taking.  I still can't believe she didn't play one of them as a precaution.  However... that was some of the dirtiest manipulation I've ever seen.  At least it's blown up enough that the odds of it happening ever again are virtually zero.

I watched Vice on Amazon Prime yesterday. I agree with general sentiment behind the film and it had some entertaining scenes but overall it's perhaps a bit over the top with it's clear dislike of the subject of the film to actually be a good film.

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

While watching Hulu a Disney+ Ad popped up.

I.....I don’t get it. 

Next thing you know there will be an Amazon  ad, within a Disney Plus ad, within a Netflix ad, while watching Hulu. 

I once watched Hulu, years ago, no fee. Ever since I get e-mails with really low fee deals if I will subscribe to Hulu.  Which I won't because its content doesn't appeal to me at all.

But -- this is the Hulu offer that showed up today, which explains your ad:

Exclusive Offer: Get Hulu, Disney+, and ESPN+ for only $12.99/month

Three essential streaming services. One low price. You'll get access to thousands of shows and movies from Hulu and Disney+, plus live sports from ESPN+. You can watch on supported devices and cancel anytime.

3 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

While watching Hulu a Disney+ Ad popped up.

I.....I don’t get it. 

Next thing you know there will be an Amazon  ad, within a Disney Plus ad, within a Netflix ad, while watching Hulu. 

I got an email today with a bundle offer for Hulu and Disney Plus.

ETA: beat to the punch while my attention was diverted with only half of that typed.

I finished watching "world on Fire" and it really grew on me by the end. Quite a large cast and a variety of stories but I think it did a good job of capturing the scope of the european aspect of war at least. I guess some might not like the time spent on relationship drama and others might not like the action but I felt the balance was good. I also liked how they dealt with romance. The younger characters had more flawed, naive relationships while the real chemistry lay with a gay couple and two older characters who weren't even in a physical relationship. It was interesting to see how Paris was a bohemian mecca at the time which obviously made it very dangerous once the Nazis occupied it. Also nice to see how people living at the time were rending to think "it won't get that bad" - something which is easier to see as wrong with hindsight but is probably the more common reaction in reality. It seems to be getting a second series and I'd hope we'd see the scope expand into theatres outside of Europe as the war spreads. 

Archived