Watch, Watched, Watching: Those aren't pillows!

RedEyedGhost

On 11/25/2019 at 5:14 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I finally got around to seeing Once Upon a Tine in Hollywood. Overall I’d say I was somewhat disappointed. All the technical stuff was impressive and the sets were excellent, but there just wasn’t that much to the story and Idk if I like the alternate universe ending. I also now understand the fuss over Lee’s scene. I think his daughter has every right to be offended by it because it’s absolutely a terrible portrayal of him. There was no need to do that. Hopefully I’ll like it more when I watch it again, which isn’t unusual with QT films, but I really had wanted more from this film.

Basically how I felt about it. It just seemed like it was lacking something. Maybe I’ll like it more when I rewatch it.

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

Yeah, I must have been really really tired the night I watched some of these. I watched a few more and I apologize if anyone else did based on my comments. 

Daybreak was on at the barbershop I go to, and the 15 minutes I saw of it were horrible.

I finished s4 of Gomorrah. Definitely the weakest season so far but still interesting and engaging enough. 

8 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I finished s4 of Gomorrah. Definitely the weakest season so far but still interesting and engaging enough. 

I’m still only 7 episodes in, but it’s been pretty good so far, imo. Not really noticing a big drop off in quality that I was worried about with 

both Don Pietro and Ciro being gone.

8 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I’m still only 7 episodes in, but it’s been pretty good so far, imo. Not really noticing a big drop off in quality that I was worried about with 

Hide contents

both Don Pietro and Ciro being gone.

Spoiler

Yeah, I was still engaged the entire time and think the quality is great, but just comparing this season to the other three.

It still amazes me how they just don’t wastes scenes in this series. There is no “downtime” even in slower episodes.

Well, I'd been excited for months to see it, and Knives Out did not disappoint. Thoroughly entertaining throughout. Great Poirot vibe, plenty of sharp humor, and a heck of a fun movie.

No spoilers, but I did not get it right. But in this kind of movie, if you don't change your mind five times trying to one up the twists, they screwed it up.

17 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Well, I'd been excited for months to see it, and Knives Out did not disappoint. Thoroughly entertaining throughout. Great Poirot vibe, plenty of sharp humor, and a heck of a fun movie.

No spoilers, but I did not get it right. But in this kind of movie, if you don't change your mind five times trying to one up the twists, they screwed it up.

Saw Knives Out today and completely agree.  Very fun movie, loved it and the cast.  Fell in love with Ana de Armas, again.    I think this the third time, after Blade Runner and other movies. 

1 hour ago, Leofric said:

Saw Knives Out today and completely agree.  Very fun movie, loved it and the cast.  Fell in love with Ana de Armas, again.    I think this the third time, after Blade Runner and other movies. 

That’s certainly understandable. She’s probably my biggest celebrity crush right now. Looking forward to seeing her play Marilyn Monroe. 

13 minutes ago, Triskele said:

The Irishman is 3.5 hours!?!?  That's what the Netflix seems to be saying.  

Yup. This is one of the benefits of netflix paying for the movie. The first version we see is the director's cut. (well, in terms of cuts for brevity anyway.) 

The other is that you can make your own intermissions. 

Just finished The Irishman and yep, 3.5 hours long. It's a pretty good movie that doesn't feel like it's that long, which in itself is a compliment. A lot of aging and de-aging in it, the only thing that kept catching my eye were Deniro's eyes. They seemed to be artificially blue at times and I found it distracting.  As far as the movie goes it was a pretty good mafia type movie with lots of characters and at 3.5 hours long it was able to develop some of them.  Being from the Detroit area it peaked my interest since we still get news reports here from time to time about Jimmy Hoffa. Just a couple years ago they dug up a farm because they thought he was buried there. One of those mysteries that will never be solved. 

2 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Lotr, Harry Potter, and Godfather marathons all on tv today. Thanksgiving might be the best day to never leave your couch (except to go to the dinner table) 

Dry up Dursley you great prune

I seem to be the only person around here who watched nothing since Sunday's The Watchmen.

Though at dinner and after there was certainly a great deal of conversation about what we all have seen -- from Broadway musicals (one of the guests in the Most! Anticipated! Already Sold Out! musical coming right on up, and another is the music rehearsal director for one already running), to plays, movies and television (some voting members of the Academy present, so they see stuff the non-members don't until later).

I still haven't had the space I want to give to The Irishman -- everybody had seen it already except me; reactions divided pretty evenly between hate and love.

OTOH, I was the only one there who is watching The Watchmen.  Me trying to describe this so far to a room of people who don't know anything about comix, graphic novels, etc. -- since I don't either -- was hilarious!  However, several of them were intrigued enough to check it out, as all of us are passionate about history.  Several of the professors there say they've given up trying to teach anything to their students except the history of their subject.

I'm jealous coz they've about 7 Watchmen episodes they can do at one time.  Which is really nothing to people who were able to do the entirety in one go of The Irishman on the 27th.

6 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Anyone watched The Nightingale? I've read that some people walked out of the cinema in Sydney because of the brutal nature of some scenes.Just wanted to know if it's worth watching?

I’ve been wanting to see it for a while now. My favorite movie reviewer (Chris Stuckmann) was pretty high on it. He did confirm its hard to watch at certain points though. I’ll definitely be checking it out when it hits Blu-ray since I missed it in the theaters. 

7 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Anyone watched The Nightingale? I've read that some people walked out of the cinema in Sydney because of the brutal nature of some scenes.Just wanted to know if it's worth watching?

I watched it a few weeks back and there are definitely some very brutal scenes early on, but I’d say it’s worth a watch if you were intrigued by the trailer like myself. Some spoilers about the violence:

Spoiler

There are a few very harsh rape scenes, and a baby murder.

It does drag though, and could’ve been a little shorter. The plot seems to go in circles at times.

Archived