Watch, Watched, Watching: Those aren't pillows!

RedEyedGhost

Went and saw Uncut Gems tonight. I was already a fan of the Safdie brothers from Good Time, but this one was even better. These guys do nerve-racking crime drama extremely well. Adam Sandler was great in it. Really wish he’d take more roles like this. Guy really can act. Probably his best since Punch-Drunk Love. 

Watched Knives Out this weekend, pretty good movie, couple little twists and some decent acting.

Also watched Molly's Game, liked it more than I thought I would, but I like poker so it makes sense that I would like it.

Trying to watch The Witcher. I am 3 episodes in and can't decide if I like it. If Cavil keeps grunting I swear im gonna junk punch him.

On 12/26/2019 at 10:43 AM, Veltigar said:
On 12/26/2019 at 4:21 AM, polishgenius said:

I haven't watched much of the Witcher yet to have an opinion but to be fair SyFy started both Happy! and The Expanse so they've done alright recently... even if they ended up cancelling both.

Don't know those two. 

:shocked:

Watched the first episode of The Witcher today. My initial reaction is best summed up by the word *cringe* but i know first episodes are not always a good indicator of the remainder of the series so i’m going to try another episode or two first. But yeah, that first episode was not good, a mix of bad acting, sad cliche’s and oh look there go my eyes, rolling away down the hall

Watched the final episode of the Mandalorian. This show is too stupid for its own good.

59 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Watched Top Gun for the first time in about thirty years last night. It has not aged well. 

Poppycock! :commie: it is you who hasn't aged well :P

30 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Watched the first episode of The Witcher today. My initial reaction is best summed up by the word *cringe* but i know first episodes are not always a good indicator of the remainder of the series so i’m going to try another episode or two first. But yeah, that first episode was not good, a mix of bad acting, sad cliche’s and oh look there go my eyes, rolling away down the hall

What you see is what you get with this one XD

40 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Watched the final episode of the Mandalorian. This show is too stupid for its own good.

Poppycock! :commie: it is you who hasn't aged well :P

What you see is what you get with this one XD

Shame. I’ll try episode two but if this is the continued quality i’m dropping this. 

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I have slightly mixed feelings about the show so far (just about to watch the final episode), but I think it does improve after the first episode.

I watched all of The Witcher the day it came out as I was off work after having my gallbladder and appendix removed the day before.  I enjoyed it, but that might have been the vicodin.  I quite enjoy bad fantasy shows though, including having a hell of a time watching The Outpost so it might not have been the vicodin.

Watched season 3 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel the past couple of days.  The first few episodes were not very good, but I warmed up to it by the end.  Some of her jokes were actually funny this time.  The ending was completely unsurpring though.  Rose's and Abe's stories were the best parts for my money.

7 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Watched Top Gun for the first time in about thirty years last night. It has not aged well. 

It was terrible and cringey thirty years, so I'm not sure why anybody would have ever thought it would age well.

6 hours ago, Triskele said:

Same.  Not a strong first ep at all, but having it all on Netflx already I'm going to persist a while longer, and it sounds like a lot of folks hated this first ep and then thought the show was OK.  ETA:  Hadn't seen the post above.

How horrible is it that we are prepared to spent so much time on a series just because overall people seem to conclude "it is okay

How uninspiring can a score be. Just okay. It's strange how difficult it is to find a good series/movie nowadays. Not to say that in the past it was better, but you would expect the huge amount of $$$ flowing into the entertainment industry would at least do something to improve the ratio of crap/quality programming. Instead, it seems as if the crap/quality ratio hasn't budged an inch in all these years.

2 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

It was terrible and cringey thirty years, so I'm not sure why anybody would have ever thought it would age well.

:o Sir RedEyedGhost, Thou art lucky thy is recovering from surgery, for else I would have had to challenge you to a duel to defend the honor of this classic of cinema :P

I mean, just imagine, where would beach volleyball be without Top Gun?

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Shame. I’ll try episode two but if this is the continued quality i’m dropping this. 

I wish I had done the same really. Would have been better to read a book instead.

13 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Same. All of that, plus some really bad dialogue. It's like they wanted people to hate it for being a ridiculous OTT cliche. Looks like all the time and money went on the fight scenes. Literally could not wait for the episode to end. I will try another episode in another few days but if it's as bad as this I won't be able to watch it.

On 12/28/2019 at 7:35 PM, dbunting said:

Trying to watch The Witcher. I am 3 episodes in and can't decide if I like it. If Cavil keeps grunting I swear im gonna junk punch him.

That's the best thing in the show so far.

I've watched two episodes of the witcher and haven't made it further than that yet. I will still watch more because I'm curious, but the bard in the second episode was wholly terrible and made me want to stop watching the show. I'll still watch at least a couple of more episodes though.

6 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Well, fourteen-year-old me thought it was amazing. I only watched it again because there's a sequel coming in the summer, and my brother has amazingly never seen it.

I finished the season of Dublin Murders. The series was ok. A bit too much going on, over-complicating the central investigation. I'm a bit tired of the tormented/depressed/substance abusing/skeletons-in-the-closet-having detective trope. It's so over done. And both detectives fall into that trope. At least Conleth Hill was in it.

Been having some trouble finding a series to hold my interest. The Witcher has bored me after 2 episodes. I have yet to finish His Dark Materials. I'm behind on Vikings and Mr. Robot. At least Spartacus is entertaining.

Archived