Watch, Watched, Watching: Those aren't pillows!

RedEyedGhost

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Honestly, I already knew that little factoid about gladiators before the documentary. It's easy to focus on and probably a stupid decision to open on, but when I do a quick google search to find publications debunking the documentary, the only links I see come from such "quality" sources like menshealth magazine and YouTubers, not exactly the people whose opinion I'd value over the professors cited in the documentary.

Not to say that the documentary is necessarily correct. I'll have to do some research, but seeing how techniques pioneered by the tobacco industry are now widely used by all predatory forms of industry it is hard to spot scientific consensus between all the fake science being spinned. Hasan Minaj recently had an episode on Patriot Act explaining how Coca Cola and other big food groups sponsor bad science to make us disbelieve basic scientific facts. We all know that the meat industry is a lobby of evil, so them doing all this stuff wouldn't make me raise an eye lid.

Ha, say no more then!

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Just seen Portrait of a Lady on Fire. Stunningly beautiful film. Céline Sciamma is a minamilist, but conveys so much in a few words and in gorgeously framed scenes (helped a great deal by Clair Mathon's cinematography) so that the film cuts to the core of the characters. The last scene is a tour de force by Adèle Haenel, admittedly not a little reminiscent of Timothée Chalamet's final scene in Call Me By Your Name but much bolder and, IMO, powerful for it.

I know Parasite is everyone's pick for Best Foreign Language Picture this year, but I think Portrait is a masterful and worthy rival.

Another of those annoying films that is released far later in the UK than the January awards sweep. We get this 28 February i believe, but everything i have heard about it has been glowing reviews

Hmm - I saw Marriage Story and it was...fine? I adore Adam Driver so I was really looking forward to this but I guess it didn't really have as much of an impact on me as I thought it was going to.

I think all the hype around it may have coloured my perception of the movie - I was excited to finally watch it after hearing so many good things and I dunno, I feel like the characters really didn't leave that much of an impression on me.

@Veltigar 

Do you know of the series Thieves of the Wood, based on the life of Jan de Lichte? I believe it is originally De Bende van Jan De Lichte. It's a new release on Netflix and looks interesting, but wondering whether it's worth my time. 

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

@Veltigar 

Do you know of the series Thieves of the Wood, based on the life of Jan de Lichte? I believe it is originally De Bende van Jan De LichteIt's a new release on Netflix and looks interesting, but wondering whether it's worth my time. 

It hasn't been broadcast here yet, but seeing the station on which it is supposed to debut, I'd advice you to steer clear. Strange that it is already on Netflix though, funny how those things work nowadays. 

33 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

I watched John Wick 3 and loved it. Never had interest to see it cause the 2nd one was just okay for me but idk this one just worked really well. Would definitely watch a fourth 

I liked the 2nd one, but yeah, 3 is way better. The stunt choreography with Halle Berry’s dogs... :bowdown:

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

I watched John Wick 3 and loved it. Never had interest to see it cause the 2nd one was just okay for me but idk this one just worked really well. Would definitely watch a fourth 

Watched this last night but fell asleep and missed most of it by barring the first and last half hour (whoops went to a new IPA release on the way home) so will have to do a rewatch. 

31 minutes ago, Isis said:

Watched this last night but fell asleep and missed most of it by barring the first and last half hour (whoops went to a new IPA release on the way home) so will have to do a rewatch. 

I’d say the first half hour is the best bit. I was jumping up and down with joy at it!

Saw a reviewer say the dog fight was a classic but I was pretty meh about that. But Keanu riding a horse doesn’t get any better!

16 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I’d say the first half hour is the best bit. I was jumping up and down with joy at it!

Saw a reviewer say the dog fight was a classic but I was pretty meh about that. But Keanu riding a horse doesn’t get any better!

Why does this not surprise me... :lol:

3 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Just that I almost always disagree with your opinions on this stuff. I thought the dogs were fantastic. 

Well the dogs themselves were kinda awesome I admit, and really well done. But the fight itself outside of the dogs was a bit samey from what I recall. Plus the movie kinda dragged as it went on and the last 3rd is not the finest hour of the trilogy

On 1/2/2020 at 12:40 AM, Astromech said:

Even without Ilithyia in the prequel? Sorry, I've become a big fan.

You must watch the prequel before season 2. It introduces Gannicus, who waa not in season 1, but comes back in season 2 and is one of the main characters in the show. There's a lot of backstory on him and Oenomeus, without which you can't really understand their later interactions and Ganmicus' character development. 

There's also a lot of Crixus in his early gladiator days, something like a villain origin story for Ashur, and a lot of more of John Hannah and Lucy Lawless as earlier and somewhat different versions of their characters, plus some background on their conflict with Solonius. And there are some great characters that are just in the prequel. It's just as good and dark and heartbreaking as season 1.

Sadly, Andy Whitfield died. :'( Liam McIntyre was fine as an the rebel leader Spartacus, but Andy's Spartacus was muxh more emotional and interesting. It was funny though how Spartacus suddenly became so much taller LOL

5 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I rewatched this a couple of days ago (I also saw it when it first came out at the cinema). I agree it's better than the second one which was fine but the weakest in the trilogy. There are some spectacular fight scenes throughout the entire film, although the best John Wick film is probably still the first one.

4 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

You must watch the prequel before season 2. It introduces Gannicus, who waa not in season 1, but comes back in season 2 and is one of the main characters in the show. There's a lot of backstory on him and Oenomeus, without which you can't really understand their later interactions and Ganmicus' character development. 

There's also a lot of Crixus in his early gladiator days, something like a villain origin story for Ashur, and a lot of more of John Hannah and Lucy Lawless as earlier and somewhat different versions of their characters, plus some background on their conflict with Solonius. And there are some great characters that are just in the prequel. It's just as good and dark and heartbreaking as season 1.

Sadly, Andy Whitfield died. :'( Liam McIntyre was fine as an the rebel leader Spartacus, but Andy's Spartacus was muxh more emotional and interesting. It was funny though how Spartacus suddenly became so much taller LOL

I have two episodes left of the prequel. I'm enjoying it even more than s1. It's structured better and is much more tightly woven. I'm really enjoying the backstories of some of the characters, mainly Crixus and Oenomeus. I appreciate that the latter is getting fleshed out even more. I found Gaia irritating and want to punch Tullius, but he makes a great antagonist. Better than Solonius in s1.

9 hours ago, Veltigar said:

It hasn't been broadcast here yet, but seeing the station on which it is supposed to debut, I'd advice you to steer clear. Strange that it is already on Netflix though, funny how those things work nowadays. 

Thanks. I have a soft spot for period pieces and the trailer piqued my interest. I thought I'd ask one of the boarders who lived in Belgium.

On 1/3/2020 at 6:07 PM, Veltigar said:

I just got finished with The Game Changers (2020) from Netflix... Holy shit, what a great documentary. It is compelling me to do some research.

Its a nonsense Documentary which can't back up most of its claims with any decent sources. It's been torn apart by quite a few respected nutritionists and Drs not just random YouTubers.

Documentaries when they are inherently bias are never going r promote actual facts.

I watched 7 days in Entebbe. I thought most of the film was good although I'm not sure about some of the choices made in telling the story. Two of the three plot strands are fairly conventional, one follows the highjackers as they take over an airliner and fly it to Uganda and a second follows the debate in the Israeli Government about how to respond. The third plot strands follows the dancer girlfriend of one of the Israeli soldiers who takes part in the hostage rescue operation as she rehearses for a big show. It was a bit distracting breaking away from the raid on Entebbe to have a bit of modern dance, even if it is quite a striking dance routine it does disrupt the narrative. Despite those distractions the film does manage to build up a lot of tension, particularly in the initial highjack and the raid at the end. Given how long it has been since the events in the film it is a bit depressing that some of the political discussions still seem so topical, particularly the debates between Yitzhak Rabin and Shimon Peres about trying to engage with the Palestinians.

Archived