Watch, Watched, Watching: Those aren't pillows!

RedEyedGhost

Arrival is one of the very few acceptable explanations for why any alien species would bother to come here and make contact.    You don't climb into an intergalactic tin can to fly across the void to steal Earth's oceans or chomp on some humans, people.  If you can make an engine capable of that amount of energy output, you can stay home and synthesize your own oceans and snacks for orders of magnitude less expense.   So this was a nice modal change from hollywood, to show aliens as alien and yet motivations as universal without needing to be base motivations like Me Monster, You Prey.

Deniro and company have turned out a decade's worth of working just to work type movies that have no appeal to me.     Rewatching Pesci in Cousin Vinny makes me wish he'd never gotten mafia typecast.    

Is Succession really that great,  or is it just the horrors of human nature on display in that infighting way which can't end in anything but depression for the viewer?   It's one of those shows that for me doesn't quite exist because it's not on TBS or SYFY, but one hears ravings about its goodness that seem inexplicable for what looks like a soap.

On 12/12/2019 at 8:07 AM, SpaceChampion said:

CBS not handling this MeToo controversy on Survivor well at all...   .

Ah, another show that's a nominee for my "That's still on?!?" award.

On 12/14/2019 at 4:22 AM, BigFatCoward said:

People still have DVD's? I got rid of all of mine when I moved house. Never been inclined to watch one since. 

A mobile home!    So the dvd's fell out as you rambled down the highway.  I've been there.  Always double checking that the side door is closed and locked before getting underway should significantly cut down on dvd loss.   I'll see you out there!

10 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Is Succession really that great,  or is it just the horrors of human nature on display in that infighting way which can't end in anything but depression for the viewer?   It's one of those shows that for me doesn't quite exist because it's not on TBS or SYFY, but one hears ravings about its goodness that seem inexplicable for what looks like a soap.

It's pretty great. Yeah all the characters are terrible people and things get dark, but it's also really funny. 

There's been so much good/entertaining stuff lately...

Watched:
- The Mandalorian. Entertaining.
- The Witcher. Entertaining.
- Silicon Valley (S6). I would have preferred a slightly more upbeat ending ; it was time to end.
- The Dragon Prince (S3). This show's starting to be really worth the wait between seasons.

Watching:
- Rick and Morty (S4). As funny as ever, latest episodes were fantastic.
- His Dark Materials. Pace's a bit slow, story's intriguing.
- The Expanse (S4). Great sci-fi.
- The Good Place (S4). Decent season so far, curious about the finale.

And I'm curious about Messiah, The War of the Worlds, or The Boys.
Not to mention I could go back to Mr Robot, The Man in the High Castle, Mindhunter, or Legion.

And most of these shows have been released in the last couple of months.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

I'm curious if messiah could be as bad as it looks.

I'm nearly done with it. It's mostly out of curiosity that I'm watching. It's got enough to both offend and please just about everyone whether they are religious (Muslims, Christians or Jews) or not. I'd like to see if the show has the balls to go one way or another, but I have the feeling that answers won't be given completely by the end.

17 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I wouldn't go that far, but it was greatly over praised, and yes, kind of dull, although I'm going to rewatch it sober and see if that improves the languid pacing.  I expected to be thrown by the de aging, but it didn't really bother me at all.

Couldn't agree more that it was kinda dull and way over praised. Got reminded again when I saw a little of the Golden Globes the other night, people kissing up like this movie was Goodfellas or something.

To me Pesci was the best thing about the movie.

I finally got around to seeing The Rise of Skywalker. It's pretty meh but my expectations had been lowered to the point that it wasn't a surprise. I think it's gotten to the stage that I'm going to give up on seeing Star Wars films at the cinema. It's a shame given how much I loved the originally trilogy but I just don't think there's anyway they're going to recapture the magic.

19 hours ago, Kalbear said:

This reminds me that I need to rewatch Arrival. I confess that it might not work as well if you dont have kids, but for me it hit me as hard as any movie I've seen in decades. 

Same here.

It's a top 5 movie for me, and for reasons that have nothing to do with the aliens.

21 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Finally got around to the Irishman. I was prepared for the de aging CGI, I was ready for the 80 year old man carrying out the worst assault ever. I wasn't prepared to be bored shitless. What a steaming pile of dogshit. I gave up just over an hour in, what a waste of that cast. Pesci was good from what I saw though. 

I was never bored but I didn't think it was amazing. It's pretty much how I feel about most mob movies. That life just does not interest me much.

52 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I've started watching La casa de papel. Pretty good so far. Seems like it borrows some stuff from Inside Man which I appreciate. I'm about 3 episodes in, very interested to see where this goes.

Enjoy.It goes very well.

Archived