Watch, Watched, Watching: Those aren't pillows!

RedEyedGhost

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Agree to disagree. I think it’s actually one of Scorsese’s best, and that’s saying something considering his filmography. Certainly one of his most contemplative and most mature. 

Is that a nice way of saying all involved are well past their best?

Finally got around to watching S3 of Mrs Maisel, Jesus the stand-up is painful, we just skip through it now, its a waste of everyone's time.

Enjoying "messiah" on Netflix but i suspect I'll enjoy for as long as there's debate over whether he's a con artist or the genuine article. Once they give me an answer I'm not sure I'll be that interested.

"The Witcher" continues to be good enough to keep watching but failing to ignite my imagination. The episodes feel long probably because of there always been 2-3 stories that as yet appear completely separate. Credit to them for at least giving geralt a "mission of the episode" as it does make each installment feel like a distinct unit rather than an 8 hour slog.

"Lost in space" first two episodes were fun giving the characters challenges to overcome. The hole in the ocean makes no physical sense to me though. I'm a bit concerned the show will be cancelled given its xmas release and fact I'm only slowly getting around to it. Then again they have 3 shows actively competing for my attention so maybe they are cannabilising their own shows?

Dracula. Enjoyed the first two episodes. Haven't watched the third yet thanks to apparently universal dislike and not being too excited by the end of episode two reveal.

9 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Agree to disagree. I think it’s actually one of Scorsese’s best, and that’s saying something considering his filmography. Certainly one of his most contemplative and most mature. 

I haven't even seen all of Scorsese's films and I managed to think of 10 better ones in 5 mins. Each to their own but It was just so dull (before I quit in despair). 

43 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I haven't even seen all of Scorsese's films and I managed to think of 10 better ones in 5 mins. Each to their own but It was just so dull (before I quit in despair). 

You’ve openly admitted you don’t even care about films/tv/music that much anymore (strange you post so much in Entertainment...) so forgive me if I don’t put a whole lot of stock in your opinion.

Especially if you didn’t even finish it. 

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

You’ve openly admitted you don’t even care about films/tv/music that much anymore (strange you post so much in Entertainment...) so forgive me if I don’t put a whole lot of stock in your opinion.

Especially if you didn’t even finish it. 

I've got 5000 posts in 10+ years, I don't post a lot anywhere to be honest.

Not caring about things anymore doesn't mean I'm not able to rank them. In fact a dispassionate person could be said to be better able to discern quality from absolute tosh. 

Anyone who thinks the Irishman is on the level of goodfellas, the wolf of wall street or taxi driver is the person whose opinion you  shouldn't put a whole lot of stock in. 

Why would I finish something that I hated the first 60-90 minutes of? Name a film you hated the first hour of, then loved by the end.

36 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Not caring about things anymore doesn't mean I'm not able to rank them. In fact a dispassionate person could be said to be better able to discern quality from absolute tosh. 

Anyone who thinks the Irishman is on the level of goodfellas, the wolf of wall street or taxi driver is the person whose opinion you  shouldn't put a whole lot of stock in. 

Why would I finish something that I hated the first 60-90 minutes of? Name a film you hated the first hour of, then loved by the end.

The Irishman is absolutely better than The Wolf of Wall Street. 

And not only have I finished movies I wasn’t that into, I’ve even given them a second chance. And many times my opinion has changed. Two off the top of my head are The VVitch and The Assassination of Jessie James by the Coward Robert Ford. Wasn’t crazy about either on my initial viewings but people whose opinions I respect (including a few members here) were so big on them I wanted to try again. 

Sometimes you go in with certain expectations, other times you’re just not in the right mood for a slow burn, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

The Irishman is absolutely better than The Wolf of Wall Street. 

And not only have I finished movies I wasn’t that into, I’ve even given them a second chance. And many times my opinion has changed. Two off the top of my head are The VVitch and The Assassination of Jessie James by the Coward Robert Ford. Wasn’t crazy about either on my initial viewings but people whose opinions I respect (including a few members here) were so big on them I wanted to try again. 

Sometimes you go in with certain expectations, other times you’re just not in the right mood for a slow burn, etc. 

I've only watched both films once and i much prefer wolf of wall Street but scorcese is a director with enough range for everyone to have their own legitimate favourite.

55 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

The last third of the movie is the best, where you start to get some payoff, somewhat, the pace doesn't accelerate, but the end is better than the beginning. I still thought it was massively and unnecessarily meandering, but I'm willing to give it a 2nd watch because MS and sobriety.

I also thought the direction was better in Wolf of Wall Street. 

This new Dracula mini-series is wild, though it's probably the biggest break from the book I've ever seen. Finished the first episode and started the second, but had to stop watching pretty early and that has left me completely confused on the beginning transition. 

Knives Out was great. It reminds me of Parasite in a way - both movies are well structured and extremely entertaining, and use the black comedy/house invasion thriller and the who dun it story, respectively, to explore social and political issues in a fun way. The difference is that, while hilarious for most of its run, Parasite is ultimately dark and pessimistic, while Knives Out is optimistic and basically says a big F*uck you to the grimdark "kindness is stupid, only a-holes win" mentality.

BTW, this is the first time this has occurred to me even though I've watched Anna de Armas in a long TV show (EL Internado) and Blade Runner 2049 - but does anyone else think she kind of looks like Eliza Dushku with lighter colored eyes?

10 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Knives Out was great. It reminds me of Parasite in a way - both movies are well structured and extremely entertaining, and use the black comedy/house invasion thriller and the who dun it story, respectively, to explore social and political issues in a fun way. The difference is that, while hilarious for most of its run, Parasite is ultimately dark and pessimistic, while Knives Out is optimistic and basically says a big F*uck you to the grimdark "kindness is stupid, only a-holes win" mentality.

That's interesting as I am going to see Knives Out tomorrow night and I have tickets for Parasite.

Last night I watched the first episode of S5 of The Affair (after being non-plussed about them doing another season). Star turn from Claes Bang (whose existence I only became aware of after watching Dracula a week ago)! According to Some Random Dude on Twitter who responded to my tweet 'It is the most awful thing ever to be broadcast..' 

14 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Knives Out was great. It reminds me of Parasite in a way - both movies are well structured and extremely entertaining, and use the black comedy/house invasion thriller and the who dun it story, respectively, to explore social and political issues in a fun way.

Hmm - will keep a look out about this re: Parasite. Knives Out's exploration of social and political issues felt quite clunky to me & as a person of colour and an immigrant I had *lots* of issues with it  ( if I'm being charitable), but I'm curious to see how Parasite deals with that.

As an aside, I'll be watching The Last Black Man in San Francisco tonight so I'm quite excited about that :)

Tangled, multiple time lines seem to have become, if not The Thing, A Thing, for screen works these days.  In the 2019 I've see these: True Detective, season 3; Tolkien, the film; The Watchmen; Little Women, the film, and The Witcher; and then Dracula, 2020.  Surely there are others, that I saw and don't remember and others that others watched and I did not see.

Not to mention the evidently increasing number of shows that like to start with a fraught scene, like Succession, and then throw up on the screen, a version of "Three days earlier ...." to then provide the context for this scene, which by the time it's all figured out we've forgotten entirely.

4 hours ago, Raja said:

Hmm - will keep a look out about this re: Parasite. Knives Out's exploration of social and political issues felt quite clunky to me & as a person of colour and an immigrant I had *lots* of issues with it  ( if I'm being charitable), but I'm curious to see how Parasite deals with that.

As an aside, I'll be watching The Last Black Man in San Francisco tonight so I'm quite excited about that :)

I haven't seen Knives Out yet- this weekend, probably- but Parasite is different is that it isn't an outsider looking in exploring the issues it brings up, if I understand what Knives Out's ultimate themes are correctly.

15 hours ago, Zorral said:

Tangled, multiple time lines seem to have become, if not The Thing, A Thing, for screen works these days.  In the 2019 I've see these: True Detective, season 3; Tolkien, the film; The Watchmen; Little Women, the film, and The Witcher; and then Dracula, 2020.  Surely there are others, that I saw and don't remember and others that others watched and I did not see.

Not to mention the evidently increasing number of shows that like to start with a fraught scene, like Succession, and then throw up on the screen, a version of "Three days earlier ...." to then provide the context for this scene, which by the time it's all figured out we've forgotten entirely.

I have been saying this for a while now. My hope for 2020 is that time lines, as a way of making a show "interesting and deep" go away. Unless you are a time travel show, like Dark, stop doing multiple time lines!!!!!  I started Witcher and a few episodes in I was like dammit here we go again!

I saw Uncut Gems yesterday. It was tense and just chaotic the entire time, and I loved it. Adam Sandler’s performance absolutely lives up to the hype too. Couldn’t recommend it enough, especially if you’re a NBA fan/gambler.

Great cast also. KG plays his douchey self so good.

4 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I saw Uncut Gems yesterday. It was tense and just chaotic the entire time, and I loved it. Adam Sandler’s performance absolutely lives up to the hype too. Couldn’t recommend it enough, especially if you’re a NBA fan/gambler.

Yeah it is great actually. When Sandler takes a role seriously then he’s maybe one of my favourite actors, which is painful as I hate so many of his movies. 

His performance in Punch Drunk Love i think is simply brilliant, in a brilliant movie.

Uncut Gems was just relentlessly tense and never lets up. It’s soundtrack also just keeps hitting you. I also recommend.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

Most nerve wracking film I’ve seen in years. 

Archived