Watch, Watched, Watching: Those aren't pillows!

RedEyedGhost

11 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Excellent timing. Season 2 comes out this friday. I loved it, the cast was excellent. Though it's a weird location which is quite jarring at first. And definitely filmed for the american market as well, UK schools are not like that.  

Yeah it was the coming release of season two that made me try it. I know what you mean about the location too. Looks British, feels very American. Even the references  “Casual Hamm” for example. Bit weird but doesn’t lessen my enjoyment.

Episode 3 now, and i see that this is going to be one of those funny but still moving comedies. Even better

14 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Excellent timing. Season 2 comes out this friday. I loved it, the cast was excellent. Though it's a weird location which is quite jarring at first. And definitely filmed for the american market as well, UK schools are not like that.  

That's great news, was hoping for a new season of this soon!

I watched Heaven Knows What by the Safdie brothers. Its gritty, realistic style kinda reminded me of a Kid type movie. Not an easy watch about a heroin addict getting through a few days in NYC. I guess it was based on the lead actresses actual life also. Caleb Landry Jones was in it too, he always seems to plays such a convincing scumbag.

It’s not for everyone but I liked it. I’ll watch anything by the Safdie’s now.

53 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I watched Heaven Knows What by the Safdie brothers. Its gritty, realistic style kinda reminded me of a Kid type movie. Not an easy watch about a heroin addict getting through a few days in NYC. I guess it was based on the lead actresses actual life also. Caleb Landry Jones was in it too, he always seems to plays such a convincing scumbag.

It’s not for everyone but I liked it. I’ll watch anything by the Safdie’s now.

Think this is their only feature length film I haven’t seen. Definitely agree about watching anything they do. I listened to them on the A24 podcast recently, they are interesting guys. 

My wife and son are nearly finished a rewatch of the entire Star Wars Skywalker movies.  I’m a bit fatigued. 

I finished The Expanse S1 while I was sick during the week.  It wrapped up well but still hasn’t caught up with what little of the books I read.  I’m watching very little TV in general, but I’ll still need to watch something different before I try S2.  It’s just a little too jaded and dreary all the time, and lacks any humor or wit for counterbalance.

Watched Ready or Not the other night.  Hot damn was that a great movie.  I laughed more watching that than I do most comedies.  Fitch Bradley is my spirit animal.  

I remember seeing the trailers and thinking the movie looked good, but it surpassed all my expectations.  Highly recommend it if you want to watch a comedy masquerading as a horror flick.  Never has Satanic worship been so hilarious. 

59 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Very much enjoyed the first two episodes of The Outsider on HBO and can't wait to see more.  

It's funny to me that True Detective kicked off this mystery/drama mini-series splurge on HBO and I'd say they're just on fire with it except for the subsequent seasons of True Detective.  

Yeah, I really liked the first couple episodes. Haven’t read the book, so I’m already hooked and want to know wtf is going on. 

Watched The Confession Killer on Netflix this weekend (it's five episodes) and would highly recommend it. I initially didn't realise that was a continuous narrative and thought it was a series with each episode being about a different person or case - because we watched the first episode late at night and I was pretty tired. HOWEVER, we blasted through episodes 2-5 on Sunday evening because we found it impossible to look away. Wowsers. What a weird story. If you're going to watch it, don't look anything up beforehand, just go in blind.

Watched 1917 this weekend. Definitely a different way to shoot a movie,

Spoiler

I saw a critic review compare it to watching a movie of Call of Duty video game campaign mode. Where you are 1st person following characters that you interact with along the way, meeting new characters at save points. While watching the movie I did get that feeling a few times.

I thought it was acted well and some of the scenes were pretty haunting.

I've signed up for HBO again, after ending my subscription as soon as GoT ended. I was curious about The Outsider, and the 2 episode premiere didn't disappoint. I haven't read the book.

I'm taking advantage, and will watch some of the shows I missed. I've watched the first 2 episodes of Watchmen - interesting, weird, maybe not spectacular, but will keep watching. I need to find time to watch Chernobyl and His Dark Materials.

Watched Captain Marvel as my 3rd to last MCEU full rewatch.  Really enjoyed phases 1 & 2 since I missed the original captain america and ant man, and some of the jokes from 2008 are pretty funny now ("don't let this show up on your myspace"), but phase 3 I've seen so recently, and most multiple times, that I kinda feel like I'm just going through the motions.  Regardless, should finish up end game and far from home this week, then.... I have no idea what to watch next.

Watched The Two Popes and really enjoyed it. Okay, the relationship between the two characters may ultimately have been portrayed in a rather unrealistic way, but I was able to just ignore the artistic licence and enjoy the ride. Particularly liked the envisioning of the Papal Conclaves. Going into it, I thought I'd just give it a try and was prepared to give up after five minutes if it seemed too dry or boring. 

I didn't give up on it, and in fact stayed up far too late to watch the whole thing. 

19 hours ago, dog-days said:

Watched The Two Popes and really enjoyed it. Okay, the relationship between the two characters may ultimately have been portrayed in a rather unrealistic way, but I was able to just ignore the artistic licence and enjoy the ride. Particularly liked the envisioning of the Papal Conclaves. Going into it, I thought I'd just give it a try and was prepared to give up after five minutes if it seemed too dry or boring. 

I didn't give up on it, and in fact stayed up far too late to watch the whole thing. 

Have you seen The Young Pope? I need to re-watch it and then start The New Pope. 

Edit: My bad I confused The Two Popes with The New Pope. 

1 hour ago, dog-days said:

Thought it was fantastic and Pryce deserves his best actor nominations.Hope he wins at least one of them.

Just started The Outsider.Paddy Considine can do it all seemingly..

27 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The Lighthouse was easily the strangest movie I saw from 2019. It was also the best. I have a hard time finding a single flaw with it, strange ending and all.

Robert Eggers definitely took a page out of David Lynch’s book on that one. :lol:

19 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Robert Eggers definitely took a page out of David Lynch’s book on that one. :lol:

I can't recall pausing and rewinding a film more than this one. There were so many random images that flashed by, especially in the final third. Like for example:

Spoiler

How exactly did he fall at the end?

Finished off Lost in Space S2 and have to say I really liked it, much better than the first season. I blew through the last couple episodes and was surprised by the ending, though I shouldn't have been. It's a good clean fun SciFi show.

I see that Midsommar has been added to the movies available for free with Amazon Prime. I seem to remember it getting some high recommendations here, or am I mistaken?

Also, is it a foreign language film? Not a deal breaker, just like to know going in.

Archived