Watch, Watched, Watching: Those aren't pillows!

RedEyedGhost

Just now, Corvinus said:

haha, :dunno: I was wondering that, too.

Ah, that would definitely make it harder to figure out. There was a crap load of action films coming out of Asia in the 70s and 80s, for example. Mostly martial arts films, but not all of them.

On 1/14/2020 at 4:34 PM, Corvinus said:

Speaking of The Warriors, there is a movie that I very vaguely remember that I watched at pretty young age. Maybe the board hive mind can find it for me. Movie is probably from the 70s or 80s.

The only things I remember:

• early in the film, the parents of the main or one of the main characters are killed in a street ambush; I remember a blue car, and soldiers trying to fight off the attackers
  • the above mentioned character, who I think was female, teams up with some rogue-ish people to fight against some scary looking dudes; I don't believe they were zombies, but they were scary (for a kid like me)
  • there's a climactic fight in a beached derelict ship or submarine.

You could ask on https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/9kwrxx09 They seem to live for these challenges.

On 1/15/2020 at 5:25 AM, dbunting said:

Yep, liked that one too. Same time period and age for me when watching it. Wasn't Diane Lane the female lead....whooooie talk about a boy hood crush!

Yes, she was. A pretty good cast. Frances McDormand was also in it.

ETA: It's actually Amy Madigan. 

14 hours ago, Ran said:

The trailer for it is absolutely amazing, and I'll definitely seek it out:

Diane Lane was and is gorgeous.

ETA: I was thinking how Meatloaf-like that song, "Nowhere Fast" is, and then I saw that Jim Steinman wrote it. No wonder.

That trailer might be the most 80s thing that the 80s ever 80d.

2 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Robert Downey Jr. on Joe Rogan....might need to light up one while watching this :D

I watched the segment on Tropic Thunder.  That was good.  But I don't think either really gets why making fun of blackface (and everything else TT made fun of) is funny, while wearing blackface as a halloween costume is not.   Punching up vs punching down etc.

I watched the Bikram documentary last night. Then this morning I went to my usual 7am Thursday morning Bikram yoga class. I certainly gave it some more thought while I was in the class. I've been doing this yoga for five years now and I've heard some of the tutors talk about their training, but more in a 'wow, so insane, sessions so long, so difficult etc' and a few 'yeah, Bikram is so funny and weird' comments. I guess nobody is going to publicly say anything super bad about him because they don't want the drama.

Apart from a few laughs at the dude being such a massive fucking egotistical idiot it was uncomfortable watching for most of it. Interesting that they managed to find some people who would still big him up and sing his praises even now. I think it was a very good doc in that it tells the story in a logical fashion with balance and with plenty of material from the source itself. What an absolute loon though.

watched the first two eps of The Outsider and I'm hooked. This show moves quick. Not like the slower burn of Sharp Objects and True Detective. Does a great job depicting a murder mystery with a helping of the supernatural. I'm all in!! Ben Mendelsohn is great in the lead role, as well. 

On 1/14/2020 at 6:48 PM, Ran said:

A bit of a rut, watching films and catching up on some things. Two Oscar nominees seen on Netflix in the last days, The Two Popes (charming performances by Hopkins and Pryce, but it feels like a lot of invention took place in characterizing the relationship between Benedict and the future Francis, and on the whole I think it's a good but not great film) and the French animated film nominee I Lost My Body which is actually quite lovely and affecting (and has a really great soundtrack that sets the mood). It has a strange central concept -- a severed hand trying to return to its owner after an unknown event, and moving back and forth between its epic journey through an inimical city and the events in the life of the young man, Naoufel, whom it belongs to.

And then an oldie, that I somehow have failed to see until now Walter Hill's The Warriors, that strange 1979 film about a gang of young toughs trying to get back to their turf in Coney Island all the way from the Bronx. Based on a novel, it's inspired by Xenophon's Anabasis and its account of the epic march of Greek mercenaries to the sea and home through a now-hostile Persian empire when their employer, Cyrus the Younger, is killed. There's all these weird, colorful gangs that have various schticks -- the Gramercy Riffs wear kung-fu tunics and do Shaw Brothers-style martial arts, the Baseball Furies wear baseball uniforms and prefer bats, and so on -- and the acting is absolutely not great (though Roger Hill as the film's version of Cyrus is compelling for his brief time on the screen, and David Patrick Kelly as the main antagonist chews the screen nicely). If you're a fan of things like Carpenter's Escape from New York, this should appeal.

Bro, everyone's seen The Warriors. Shocked you haven't until now. 

11 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

watched the first two eps of The Outsider and I'm hooked. This show moves quick. Not like the slower burn of Sharp Objects and True Detective. Does a great job depicting a murder mystery with a helping of the supernatural. I'm all in!! Ben Mendelsohn is great in the lead role, as well. 

It certainly does!

Jason Bateman's character was bumped off so quickly i genuinely didn't register he was dead until the latter part of episode 2. I really thought he was going to be the main character given the doppelganger

I seem to be on a bit of a crime spell at the moment. White house farm is incredibly murky and when i read up on the actual events even moreso. Then there's a show with David Tennant about a house fire. I only checked it out because I've realised Tennant is usually great in these types of show.

24 minutes ago, Relic said:

Bro, everyone's seen The Warriors. Shocked you haven't until now. 

Known about it for years, of course, but somehow, yeah, never actually saw it. There was a time in my college years where I was renting a lot of films, but it was stuff like Kurosawa and the old B-movies passed me by. I only saw Escape from New York a couple of years ago, for example.

31 minutes ago, red snow said:

I seem to be on a bit of a crime spell at the moment. White house farm is incredibly murky and when i read up on the actual events even moreso. Then there's a show with David Tennant about a house fire. I only checked it out because I've realised Tennant is usually great in these types of show.

There really isn’t much other reason to watch the unfortunately named Deadwater Fell (pick a name from a hat kind of title). Tennant plays essentially the same character as he did in Netflix’s Criminal, so I’m looking forward to the creepy reveal that he’s secretly evil (or not?!). I do like Cush Jumbo too but otherwise I found it pretty slow so far.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

It certainly does!

Reveal hidden contents

Jason Bateman's character was bumped off so quickly i genuinely didn't register he was dead until the latter part of episode 2. I really thought he was going to be the main character given the doppelganger

Yeah my wife was not happy about that person dying, she loves him.

Spoiler

I get the feeling it's more of a shape shifter type thing, can actually become you down to DNA. Never read the book so I guess I'll find out as we go.

17 hours ago, red snow said:

It certainly does!

Hide contents

completely agree on bateman. I didn't realize he was toast till his daughter brought it up to Ralph. Can't get enough of this show right now

As for Tennant... Millahhhhh!!! Haha loved him in Broadchurch. I'll have to check these out.

Just finished The Irishman. Ashamed to say it took me two sittings to finish it, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. 

the ending seemed drawn out but i suppose it was important for Frank's ending to show him all alone after everyone else dies, and for him to consider the consequences of his decisions earlier in life. I thought Pesci was great, as was Pacino. De Niro was good as well but he had some laughable moments that can only be attributed to his age. I was dying when he kicked that store owners ass early in the film. He looked like a stiff old fuck cause he kinda is. I also couldn't get past his scenes with the brown hair. Looked so odd.

Archived