Watch, Watched, Watching: Those aren't pillows!

RedEyedGhost

12 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I’m reluctant to even try the Witcher based on reviews here.

It has flaws but this site is easily the most negative on that show I’ve seen. Not saying you’ll love it or even like it but I would judge for yourself 

it’s much better than GoT s8 lmao not that that is saying much

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

It has flaws but this site is easily the most negative on that show I’ve seen. Not saying you’ll love it or even like it but I would judge for yourself 

it’s much better than GoT s8 lmao not that that is saying much

I'd agree with this. It's fine and entertaining with a good opening for season 2, which is in production. I enjoyed it for what it was even though I thought they could have done some things a lot better.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I'd agree with this. It's fine and entertaining with a good opening for season 2, which is in production. I enjoyed it for what it was even though I thought they could have done some things a lot better.

Yeah the tone was all over the place and some of the dialogue was poor but I really enjoyed the world and I agree they set up future seasons very well.

Marriage Story was excellent. Driver and Johanssen were superb leads and it was emotionally very raw at times. Managed to have moments of real passion, real sad ess, and still find those tender uplifting moments too. I’m fortunate enough that my parents never contemplated divorce but from what my friend said (we watched together) its a pretty accurate and brutal portrayal

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

It has a lot of Crixus if that floats your boat ;) 

Haha, no Ililithyia will forever be my Champion of Capua.

Was the 6 episode prequel season made because of s2 filming delays due to Andy Whitfield's cancer battle?

12 minutes ago, Triskele said:

If you had to give an over/under on how many times they say the name "Santiago" what's the number?  

Haven't seen it in a while. But I'm going with...... 16.

Yeah, 16 sounds like a solid number. You know what they say about 16. It's bigger than 15.

4 hours ago, Triskele said:

I appreciate everyone's feedback on Peaky Blinders.  Forgot that Tom Hardy comes along and that alone in this setting I've gotten to know in a few episodes sounds well worth checking out.  

Yeah, they are really great.  Felt like this one had a lot of hype but lived up to it.  It's a very particular type of movie that might not appeal to everyone, but it's very good for what it is and those leads were good to the point of "Wonder if it's nearly as good of a movie if they miss those castings" or something.

Laura Dern was unsurprisingly great in her part as was Ray Liotta.  ETA:  As was Allen Alda

If you had to give an over/under on how many times they say the name "Santiago" what's the number?  

I didn’t mention Dern because her being great is something i take for granted ;) 

10 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Yes. Sadly Whitfield doesn't reappear again after S1.

Thanks. I didn't know much about the situation other than him having cancer and being replaced in later seasons. 

Finished The Witcher, and it was tough to do. To compare this to GOT is a disservice to GOT. Comparing them is like an emmy winning show being compared to a elementary school play.

I will say that I liked the last episode, or two and will watch another season because of that and how it's set up for S2. Well that and Yennifer, man she cast a spell over me!

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Whitfield was defo the better Spartacus but overall I dont think the show loses out. 

I quite liked the new guy as well. It sucks he got started with the weakest season. Not to mention the fact that all the really personality of Spartacus is formed in the first season. Crixus, Gannacus and the others are more interesting characters than Sparty because they develop more.

1 minute ago, Veltigar said:

I just got finished with The Game Changers (2020) from Netflix... Holy shit, what a great documentary. It is compelling me to do some research.

Most of what I’ve read about it was very negative and that it didn’t seem to add up at all. Like the idea that Roman gladiators were put on vegetarian diets for their health was a stretch! (More likely being fatter made you a bit more resistant to being cut)

12 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Most of what I’ve read about it was very negative and that it didn’t seem to add up at all. Like the idea that Roman gladiators were put on vegetarian diets for their health was a stretch! (More likely being fatter made you a bit more resistant to being cut)

Honestly, I already knew that little factoid about gladiators before the documentary. It's easy to focus on and probably a stupid decision to open on, but when I do a quick google search to find publications debunking the documentary, the only links I see come from such "quality" sources like menshealth magazine and YouTubers, not exactly the people whose opinion I'd value over the professors cited in the documentary.

Not to say that the documentary is necessarily correct. I'll have to do some research, but seeing how techniques pioneered by the tobacco industry are now widely used by all predatory forms of industry it is hard to spot scientific consensus between all the fake science being spinned. Hasan Minaj recently had an episode on Patriot Act explaining how Coca Cola and other big food groups sponsor bad science to make us disbelieve basic scientific facts. We all know that the meat industry is a lobby of evil, so them doing all this stuff wouldn't make me raise an eye lid.

Just seen Portrait of a Lady on Fire. Stunningly beautiful film. Céline Sciamma is a minamilist, but conveys so much in a few words and in gorgeously framed scenes (helped a great deal by Clair Mathon's cinematography) so that the film cuts to the core of the characters. The last scene is a tour de force by Adèle Haenel, admittedly not a little reminiscent of Timothée Chalamet's final scene in Call Me By Your Name but much bolder and, IMO, powerful for it.

I know Parasite is everyone's pick for Best Foreign Language Picture this year, but I think Portrait is a masterful and worthy rival.

Archived