RedEyedGhost

Watch, Watched, Watching: Those aren't pillows!

3 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Just that I almost always disagree with your opinions on this stuff. I thought the dogs were fantastic. 

Well the dogs themselves were kinda awesome I admit, and really well done. But the fight itself outside of the dogs was a bit samey from what I recall. Plus the movie kinda dragged as it went on and the last 3rd is not the finest hour of the trilogy

Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2020 at 12:40 AM, Astromech said:

Even without Ilithyia in the prequel? Sorry, I've become a big fan.

You must watch the prequel before season 2. It introduces Gannicus, who waa not in season 1, but comes back in season 2 and is one of the main characters in the show. There's a lot of backstory on him and Oenomeus, without which you can't really understand their later interactions and Ganmicus' character development. 

There's also a lot of Crixus in his early gladiator days, something like a villain origin story for Ashur, and a lot of more of John Hannah and Lucy Lawless as earlier and somewhat different versions of their characters, plus some background on their conflict with Solonius. And there are some great characters that are just in the prequel. It's just as good and dark and heartbreaking as season 1.

Sadly, Andy Whitfield died. :'( Liam McIntyre was fine as an the rebel leader Spartacus, but Andy's Spartacus was muxh more emotional and interesting. It was funny though how Spartacus suddenly became so much taller LOL

Edited by Annara Snow

5 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I watched John Wick 3 and loved it. Never had interest to see it cause the 2nd one was just okay for me but idk this one just worked really well. Would definitely watch a fourth 

I rewatched this a couple of days ago (I also saw it when it first came out at the cinema). I agree it's better than the second one which was fine but the weakest in the trilogy. There are some spectacular fight scenes throughout the entire film, although the best John Wick film is probably still the first one.

4 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

You must watch the prequel before season 2. It introduces Gannicus, who waa not in season 1, but comes back in season 2 and is one of the main characters in the show. There's a lot of backstory on him and Oenomeus, without which you can't really understand their later interactions and Ganmicus' character development. 

There's also a lot of Crixus in his early gladiator days, something like a villain origin story for Ashur, and a lot of more of John Hannah and Lucy Lawless as earlier and somewhat different versions of their characters, plus some background on their conflict with Solonius. And there are some great characters that are just in the prequel. It's just as good and dark and heartbreaking as season 1.

Sadly, Andy Whitfield died. :'( Liam McIntyre was fine as an the rebel leader Spartacus, but Andy's Spartacus was muxh more emotional and interesting. It was funny though how Spartacus suddenly became so much taller LOL

I have two episodes left of the prequel. I'm enjoying it even more than s1. It's structured better and is much more tightly woven. I'm really enjoying the backstories of some of the characters, mainly Crixus and Oenomeus. I appreciate that the latter is getting fleshed out even more. I found Gaia irritating and want to punch Tullius, but he makes a great antagonist. Better than Solonius in s1.

9 hours ago, Veltigar said:

It hasn't been broadcast here yet, but seeing the station on which it is supposed to debut, I'd advice you to steer clear. Strange that it is already on Netflix though, funny how those things work nowadays. 

Thanks. I have a soft spot for period pieces and the trailer piqued my interest. I thought I'd ask one of the boarders who lived in Belgium.

On 1/3/2020 at 6:07 PM, Veltigar said:

I just got finished with The Game Changers (2020) from Netflix... Holy shit, what a great documentary. It is compelling me to do some research.

Its a nonsense Documentary which can't back up most of its claims with any decent sources. It's been torn apart by quite a few respected nutritionists and Drs not just random YouTubers.

Documentaries when they are inherently bias are never going r promote actual facts.

Yeah, don't want to thread derail too much, but I've heard nothing but scorn for that doc and that it's one of those things where they are either being deliberately misleading or they are not understanders of science themselves.  And I say that as someone that is a pretty big environmentalist like James Cameron is and share many of his goals.  But it sounds like they cherry-picked or mislead like crazy in a way that either says they don't get statistics or that they knew that's what they were doing and didn't care.  Or perhaps there's a middle option where they're just such true believers that they're a bit blinded.

The upshot isn't that one cannot be a great athlete and a vegan at the same time.  Clearly that is possible.  It's just that it sounds like they really push that it's superior which the evidence does not support like they claim it does.

I fully concede I have not watched it yet but do plan to do so.  

I watched 7 days in Entebbe. I thought most of the film was good although I'm not sure about some of the choices made in telling the story. Two of the three plot strands are fairly conventional, one follows the highjackers as they take over an airliner and fly it to Uganda and a second follows the debate in the Israeli Government about how to respond. The third plot strands follows the dancer girlfriend of one of the Israeli soldiers who takes part in the hostage rescue operation as she rehearses for a big show. It was a bit distracting breaking away from the raid on Entebbe to have a bit of modern dance, even if it is quite a striking dance routine it does disrupt the narrative. Despite those distractions the film does manage to build up a lot of tension, particularly in the initial highjack and the raid at the end. Given how long it has been since the events in the film it is a bit depressing that some of the political discussions still seem so topical, particularly the debates between Yitzhak Rabin and Shimon Peres about trying to engage with the Palestinians.

Consistent with my movies have gotten worse in the last 10 years opinion.......  I watched several movies that got good reviews, which I found totally 'meh'.  Arrival. Us. Woman in Gold.  I could not even maintain interest to finish The First Man.  I did enjoy Woman in Black, despite that it was pretty slow, but I am a sucker for an atmospheric period ghost story.

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Consistent with my movies have gotten worse in the last 10 years opinion.......  I watched several movies that got good reviews, which I found totally 'meh'.  Arrival. Us. Woman in Gold.  I could not even maintain interest to finish The First Man.  I did enjoy Woman in Black, despite that it was pretty slow, but I am a sucker for an atmospheric period ghost story.

I’d on the face of it, agree that the last ten years has seen a dearth of good movies. Having said that I saw Arrival and First man in theatres and that definitely improves the experience. Lots of these movies lose their power when you can sit at home and check your phone 

Posted (edited)

Watched Dracula on the BBC. It is interesting in that it wasn't what I was expecting it to be like. It's very visceral in some ways. Many representations of Dracula are all about his power to get into people's heads and just make people do stuff in a 'bloodless' fashion. My fears of it being too hammy or played for laughs were not realised. 

I have to say that his fingernails are absolutely repulsive though. I don't like long nails on anybody (least of all myself) but it's more the thickness rather than the length. Spew. :stillsick: 

Anyway, overall I did enjoy it. They did something different with the story. It had moments of genuine humour and quite a few surprising/shocking moments. I haven't read any reviews of it yet but I am aware that people had some strong feelings about it - I'll check that out now.

Edited by Isis
Completed it!

I shared at some point that I had not until recently ever seen the original Alien film (I have now).  I see that HBO has some kind of marathon of all the sequels coming up (Aliens, Alien 3, Alien Resurrection), so I'm recording all of those.  

I've seen Prometheus and Covenant.  I thought the latter was better than what I gather most thought of it.  

11 movies in to a complete MCU rewatch (minus Hulk). Starting phase 3 tonight with Civil War.

On 1/4/2020 at 3:22 PM, Mark Antony said:

I watched John Wick 3 and loved it. Never had interest to see it cause the 2nd one was just okay for me but idk this one just worked really well. Would definitely watch a fourth 

Totally agreed. I went to see it twice in theatre and the second time around I had just as much fun if not more than most movies I see once :)

On 1/4/2020 at 3:59 PM, Nictarion said:

I liked the 2nd one, but yeah, 3 is way better. The stunt choreography with Halle Berry’s dogs... :bowdown:

I preferred the 

Spoiler

use of the horse in the fight against the Italians ever so slightly, but the dogs were rad as well. Shows the quality of the film that it has not one, but two of the all time greatest fight scenes involving animals in it.

On 1/4/2020 at 4:13 PM, Mark Antony said:

Yeah 1>3>2 for me. I love the world. 

Agree with that ranking. I'd say that 3 has the best action overall, but that it lags behind 1 just ever so slightly when it comes down to emotional heft. 

Spoiler

Killing that puppy was a hell of a manipulative move, but damn it, John Wick earns that cliche!

On 1/4/2020 at 7:31 PM, Annara Snow said:

I think the prequel is better than season 1 actually. We always forget it, but the first season of Spartacus has a really rough beginning. I liked it already in the beginning, but it only truly comes alive in the episode where Sparty is

Spoiler

send to the pits. 

The prequel is much more consistent quality wise and it actually does some really interesting things by choosing to introduce a previously unseen character as the lead. That was a bold narrative choice and it payed off handsomely, since we got to have our cake (seeing how our old favourites came to be in the place they were at the start of Spartacus) and eat is as well (be surprise by the the main story of Gannicus).

I wonder what their original plans were before Andy Whitfield was diagnosed with his illness because

Spoiler

Gannicus was a real historical character who wasn't part of the gang in the first season. I always wondered how they would have introduced him otherwise

22 hours ago, Astromech said:

Thanks. I have a soft spot for period pieces and the trailer piqued my interest. I thought I'd ask one of the boarders who lived in Belgium.

I'm impressed that you remember where I live. Pretty soon you will be able to unlock my secret identity!

18 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Its a nonsense Documentary which can't back up most of its claims with any decent sources. It's been torn apart by quite a few respected nutritionists and Drs not just random YouTubers.

Documentaries when they are inherently bias are never going r promote actual facts.

If the 21st century has taught us anything that is that every documentary has a bias. Some more than others of course (here is looking at you Triumph des Willens). I thought Game Changers was very absorbing, which makes me want to check out the science behind it.

My first 20 second Google search was all YouTubers and Menshealth trying to debunk it, but I'm not fixed on anything yet. When I have the time to properly check out the science, I'll make up my own mind on it.  

18 hours ago, Triskele said:

I fully concede I have not watched it yet but do plan to do so.  

It's edifying either way, because if it is all bullshit, they do a great job at selling it!

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I'm impressed that you remember where I live. Pretty soon you will be able to unlock my secret identity!

You're Tintin, aren't you?

There is another boarder from Belgium, I believe, but isn't as active in the entertainment section.

I lived in Brussels for a year and tend to notice boarders from places I've lived or visited.

Regarding Spartacus, I wasn't too keen on Gannicus initially, but the character has grown on me. He's much deeper than the gladiatorial rock star we are first shown in the early episodes.

Saw Knives Out. An excellent movie.  Couldn’t fault any of the absurd logic and all the performances were fantastic. “Donut hole for a donut’s hole” was a great line.

Also saw Manchester by the Sea for the first time (when it dropped on Netflix for some reason.  I have Amazon Prime but can’t get it on there). Obviously it was an extremely good film but I found the score, with lots of very well known pieces of classical music, very distracting, especially during the key revelatory flashback scene, where they use what’s apparently called adagio in g minor, which translates, at least to any British person I would have thought, as extremely stereotypical “sad” music. I was surprised to find out that the score was apparently carefully and considerately selected and well received.

Agree with most here on John Wick movies, 1,3,2. After seeing 2 I wasn't sure I wanted to see 3 but was glad I did.

As to Spartacus, man I do not share the love the board has for it. I could barely get through S1 and stopped in S2. It has things I love, fighting, swords, lots of naked ladies and yet I still can't watch it. It's kind of the same feeling I had with The Witcher, but it got a little better in it's last two episodes.

I watched the first episode of Deputy on Fox this week. Has the same flaw many cop shows have.

Spoiler

They all want the lead to be a super human cop shooting people weekly and getting shot occasionally. Real world is no where near that and you would be off the street for a certain amount of time for any shooting. What makes this worse is he is the Top Cop and yet he is out knocking down doors.

18 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Totally agreed. I went to see it twice in theatre and the second time around I had just as much fun if not more than most movies I see once :)

I preferred the 

Reveal hidden contents

use of the horse in the fight against the Italians ever so slightly, but the dogs were rad as well. Shows the quality of the film that it has not one, but two of the all time greatest fight scenes involving animals in it.

Agree with that ranking. I'd say that 3 has the best action overall, but that it lags behind 1 just ever so slightly when it comes down to emotional heft. 

Reveal hidden contents

Killing that puppy was a hell of a manipulative move, but damn it, John Wick earns that cliche!

I think the prequel is better than season 1 actually. We always forget it, but the first season of Spartacus has a really rough beginning. I liked it already in the beginning, but it only truly comes alive in the episode where Sparty is

Reveal hidden contents

send to the pits. 

The prequel is much more consistent quality wise and it actually does some really interesting things by choosing to introduce a previously unseen character as the lead. That was a bold narrative choice and it payed off handsomely, since we got to have our cake (seeing how our old favourites came to be in the place they were at the start of Spartacus) and eat is as well (be surprise by the the main story of Gannicus).

You're right. Season 1 did have a shaky beginning. But the back part of it was so good, and the ending so strong, that I don't care much about it.

But both season 1 and the prequel were great at making me angry at the Romans and root for the slaves when they decide to

Spoiler

KILL THEM ALL