Jump to content
RedEyedGhost

Watch, Watched, Watching: Those aren't pillows!

Recommended Posts

Watched Blindspotting from 2018. Really good movie. The lead who I’m not familiar with (Daveed Diggs) was excellent. It was as funny as it was powerful. Highly recommend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2019 at 4:31 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

So did a rewatch of The Taking of Pelham 123.

Weird to realize this movie is 10 years old already. The most amazing thing about this flick was the cast which includes-

Denzel Washington, J. Turturro, L. Guzman, J. Travolta and J. Gandolphini:eek:

You do know that if was a remake, right? The 1974 version had Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw. Also a great cast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Watched Blindspotting from 2018. Really good movie. The lead who I’m not familiar with (Daveed Diggs) was excellent. It was as funny as it was powerful. Highly recommend. 

He was the original Lafayette in Hamilton. He’s playing the lead in the Snowpiercer tv show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Halfway through watching Waco (mini series). This is weirdly fascinating but also hard to watch. Have only reached day three of the 'siege' so hopefully the other 50 odd days won't drag too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, maarsen said:

You do know that if was a remake, right? The 1974 version had Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw. Also a great cast. 

Was Gene Hackman in it as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Isis said:

Halfway through watching Waco (mini series). This is weirdly fascinating but also hard to watch. Have only reached day three of the 'siege' so hopefully the other 50 odd days won't drag too much.

Just finished watching the second half of the series. I haven't seen anything that made me feel so angry and sad for ages (apart from the state of the government in the UK). As it is only six episodes I would recommend it - you could easily watch it in a day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Blackkklansman, which I thought was very good. There's quite a lot of dark comedy in it but it does have plenty of serious points to make as well. If it wasn't based on a true story it would probably be accused of being unbelievable, I know from having read up on it afterwards that there were a few inventions but the most far-fetched parts of the story seem to be accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Knives out, and I love Rian Johnson but man, you can really tell when an immigrant story is not told by an immigrant. It was quite disappointing.

 

Edited by Raja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raja said:

Saw Knives out, and I love Rian Johnson but man, you can really tell when an immigrant story is not told by an immigrant. It was quite disappointing.

 

I saw it over the weekend, I loved it. Fun movie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

I saw it over the weekend, I loved it. Fun movie. 

Trust me, I wanted to love it. I have liked most of the stuff that Rian has done, especially Brick & parts of TLJ ( I have criticisms of that movie, but on the whole I think it's quite good) but Knives out to me is wasted potential & was incredibly disappointing. This twitter thread really nails the movie, imo.

It's very obviously made by a woke white dude and I have zero issues with that, but I think that is partly why it comes off as not authentic & reverts to tropes which are *seriously* questionable, at the very least.

( I had the tweet embedded, but I think it is a little spoiler-y, so it's now in the link. Mild spoilers!)

Edited by Raja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw Knives Out this weekend as well and really enjoyed it. Found it to be an entertaining 2 hours that moved quickly and had a good pay off. I get Raja's points above but being a white man who's not an immigrant, it's not something that's at the forefront of my mind when watching any movies, let alone this one so didn't even notice. 

I also saw Ready or Not. Excellent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curb quietly drops a season 10 teaser that's coming out in January.  This one shocked me.  Not that LD is making another season, just how quietly and quickly it's coming.  Swear I googled Curb season 10 a month ago and didn't see a single thing.  Always pumped for more LD.  Won't be the same without Funk Man. 

You said no matter what!

Edited by l2 0 5 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In season 2 of American Gods , Orlando says fuck!     

The gods dealt with human issues heavily, more than the godwar, with a key line (not lime) about how gods were made by us with all of our flaws so our human issues kind of infect them.  Then the Yggdrasil is a baby Groot.    More Kali in season 3, por favor, Shecky!   She's a hoot.   Mr. World is a pervy slow talker.   I don't quite get why he's a newgod boss.  Like what would his fanbase be, frequent fliers and global warming enthusiasts?  You'd think he'd be suffocating and sweating and burning up from all the global warming, but no he's cool and calm and collected.  He benefits from your fear, but he knows it's just BS cooked up by his friend Media.  I miss Media from season 1 played by the X-File red.    And i miss how season 1 ended impressively.   

 

The love godess is the star of this show.  Come for her impressive bod, stay for the things she says and the way she gods through the use of posture and a knowing look and a voice that compels your psyche down her chosen path.    Should Tony Hawk and Kim K join the cast?   Probably.  And a Martian, because a lot of people believed that War of the Worlds broadcast was real, enough to birth a god surely, and the UFO based religion is ongoing and worth inclusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 11:40 AM, Nictarion said:

I saw it over the weekend, I loved it. Fun movie. 

The rare agreement! I also thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Also, I believe it was the first movie I've ever seen alone in a theater. Not as bad an experience as I'd expect.

On 12/2/2019 at 1:29 PM, Mexal said:

I saw Knives Out this weekend as well and really enjoyed it. Found it to be an entertaining 2 hours that moved quickly and had a good pay off. I get Raja's points above but being a white man who's not an immigrant, it's not something that's at the forefront of my mind when watching any movies, let alone this one so didn't even notice. 

I also saw Ready or Not. Excellent.

Just a thought that while this could negatively impact his ability to tell the immigrant's side of the story, it could also help in shaping his directing of the white characters and how they lacked the understanding of just how hurtful their actions could be.

:dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The rare agreement! I also thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Also, I believe it was the first movie I've ever seen alone in a theater. Not as bad an experience as I'd expect.

Just a thought that while this could negatively impact his ability to tell the immigrant's side of the story, it could also help in shaping his directing of the white characters and how they lacked the understanding of just how hurtful their actions could be.

:dunno:

Yes, all the Thrombeys kept saying Maria was like a part of the family, yet none of them knew where she was from, she was introduced as being from I think Ecuador, Uruguay, Brazil, and Guatamala by different people throughout the movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Leofric said:

Yes, all the Thrombeys kept saying Maria was like a part of the family, yet none of them knew where she was from, she was introduced as being from I think Ecuador, Uruguay, Brazil, and Guatamala by different people throughout the movie.

Yeah that stood out to me too. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it and they could have just been bad people, but I do think it shows that they at the very least didn't care to understand her, a perspective many white people have towards minorities/immigrants. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Leofric said:

Yes, all the Thrombeys kept saying Maria was like a part of the family, yet none of them knew where she was from, she was introduced as being from I think Ecuador, Uruguay, Brazil, and Guatamala by different people throughout the movie.

As tywin says, that was an attempt to show the perspective of white people and their attitude towards immigrants. I have zero issue with that and I think it's done fairly well.

This short twitter thread that I linked up thread puts it in a much more articulate manner than I can, I'll quote two of the tweets, but would recommend people check the whole thread out.

MILD KNIVES OUT SPOILERS

 

I totally get that this was supposed to be an entertaining & fun murder mystery. But for me, it is hard to look past this stuff especially as it was all I was thinking about in the back half of the film and it was disappointing given that I've generally liked all of Rian Johnson's movies.

 

Edited by Raja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Raja said:

As tywin says, that was an attempt to show the perspective of white people and their attitude towards immigrants. I have zero issue with that and I think it's done fairly well.

This short twitter thread that I linked up thread puts it in a much more articulate manner than I can, I'll quote two of the tweets, but would recommend people check the whole thread out.

MILD KNIVES OUT SPOILERS

I totally get that this was supposed to be an entertaining & fun murder mystery. But for me, it is hard to look past this stuff especially as it was all I was thinking about in the back half of the film and it was disappointing given that I've generally liked all of Rian Johnson's movies.

 

Not really sure I believe that the final point she makes in that tweet is actually what the film believed. Additionally, not sure I believe that if they changed her character, that the film would have been better. Different strokes for different folks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×