Watch, Watched, Watching: Those aren't pillows!

RedEyedGhost

Wanted to see 1917 but we were a day early to the theater and saw Midway instead.

It was quite interesting. Even though I knew the history pretty well, they did a great job building the story without overdoing the melodramatic for such a historically significant event.

Saw the new SW recently. It's as bad as people say it is, but I'm also impressed by the zeal with which it tries to destroy the bedrock on which it was built. It simultaneously shits over the OT, the previous film and probably someone with more knowledge of the franchise than I do will also detect swipes to the PT.

Also finished The Witcher. I read the Sapkowski short story collection on which this first season was based years ago and was pleasantly suprised to see how many episodes I could recall. Quite impressive for reading a book only once many years in the past, it made me think that I should go back and read more of Sapkowski's work. He definitely has created a very distinctive world for Geralt to inhabit.

Unfortunately, the same cannot really be said for the show itself. It sort of looks and feels like a SyFy series which accidentally got given a bit more budget and managed to lure Henry Cavill into it (not that he's a good actor, SyFY level suits him, but for some reason he's a big name nowadays so SyFy would be lucky to have him.)

Still watching The Mandalorian and Rick & Morty. I'm definitely wasting my time, as only the latter is any good. In the future I'm definitely in need of some good series/movies to watch.

20 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Unfortunately, the same cannot really be said for the show itself. It sort of looks and feels like a SyFy series which accidentally got given a bit more budget and managed to lure Henry Cavill into it (not that he's a good actor, SyFY level suits him, but for some reason he's a big name nowadays so SyFy would be lucky to have him.) 

I haven't watched much of the Witcher yet to have an opinion but to be fair SyFy started both Happy! and The Expanse so they've done alright recently... even if they ended up cancelling both.

I watched Ad Astra last week - I'm a bit of a sucker for space movies so I knew I would like it. There are some weak parts, but it's shot really well & there are some really good sequences in space and does some things that I haven't seen in other movies set in space.

Overall, it was fairly solid with some standout sequences.

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I haven't watched much of the Witcher yet to have an opinion but to be fair SyFy started both Happy! and The Expanse so they've done alright recently... even if they ended up cancelling both.

Don't know those two. My main point of reference is that one film Emilia Clarke did for them before GoT ;) 

My christmas evening was spent watching the Gavin and Stacey Christmas special. Very limited expectations but i was very pleasantly surprised. Unlike most “Christmas specials” that are brought out long after the original show ended, this felt very true to the original show and not a cheap continuation for the sake of attracting viewers. Plenty of callbacks to the original but they all felt earned and organic. The plot of the episode felt true to the stage of life he characters were at now (didnt weirdly try and pretend the past 10 years or so had gone by without change). Overall very enjoyable hour of television for me.

I also had Oliver! On in the background during the day. I love 5at musical-film so much. We had it on VHS when i was little and I think i must have watched it at least once a week

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

This. One of my favorite films of the year. 

Will probably go for this then. First film of the new decade for me (doesn’t release until 1st January here) so I feel i should make it a good one ;) 

52 minutes ago, Raja said:

I still haven't seen a Taika Waititi film :leaving:

( Turned off Thor like 70 minutes in)

What We Do in the Shadows is one of the funniest movies of the decade, imo. 

No idea if you’ll like it though, as I can’t really wrap my head around turning off Ragnarok. It, and the first GotG are easily my favorites from the MCU. 

36 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

What We Do in the Shadows is one of the funniest movies of the decade, imo.

Tbh, I've been looking forward to watching that one for ages! I should rectify this.

And yeah, I thought GotG was entirely forgettable, same with Ragnarok - my opinions on movies are all over the place, I understand this. And as I get older, my thoughts on movies/ shows get weirder.

12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Question for the Board hivemind: do i go see Jojo Rabbit or The Gentlemen on NY day? I have more faith in Taiko Watiti than Guy Ritchie but like the cast of The Gentlemen better....

Why not both? There isn't much else to do on New Year's Day.

1 minute ago, Astromech said:

Why not both? There isn't much else to do on New Year's Day.

I get too restless and lack the attention span to do two films in a day unless one is early and the other much later. The showing times for Jojo Rabbit aren't very frequent either, haven't check The Gentlemen 

Archived