Did the targaryens lose their Power base in westeros after Robert's Rebellion ?

Mario Seddy

On 11/21/2019 at 9:15 PM, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Targaryen Powerbase

1. Dragons
  2. Claim to the throne
  3. Nobility
  4. Courage
  5. Intelligence
  6. Wealth
  7. Beauty
  8. Loyalty of the houses

I could go on.  The dragons were gone by then.  Robert stole #6 and pissed it all away.  Some of the #8 was lost and the ones they kept could not act.  Viserys had lost most of the above.  Daenerys has dragons, claim to throne, nobility, courage, intelligence, beauty, wealth, and loyalty of powerful people everywhere.  So did they lose their old powerbase?  They lost some of their former base but what they gained (what she gained and earned) far exceed what the family lost.  Daenerys has a power base that would rival any of her ancestors.

Power base encompass many traits.  The fact that a Khal of Drogo's stature would want to marry a Targaryen princess says a lot about appeal of this family.  To me, "power base" mean assets and resources that one could use.  Simply being a Targaryen is an asset and has the potential to get resources.  The Targaryens have no equal. 

On 11/22/2019 at 7:51 PM, Marysa Blackfyre said:

If we talk about "claim", yes. Although I am totally on the side of the Targaryens, they have lost, Rhaegar is dead and Robert has taken the Throne.

However, they have not lost their influence, not totally. There are those who would prefer a return of the Targaryens.

It's now clear that we can't talk about legitimacy. The Throne would legitimately belong to Stannis, but who wants the Seven Kingdoms must take them with the armies (or with dragons).

Claim by right of conquest is one way to think of what a legitimate claim might be.

On 11/23/2019 at 10:39 PM, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Renly and the Lannisters would disagree with the legality of Stannis' claim.  Look, if the Baratheons are claiming the right to rule because they defeated the Targaryens, the Lannisters can also claim they defeated the Baratheons.  Victory is victory.  It does not have to happen on the battlefield.  Smart people win away from the battlefield.  I am going with "Westeros belongs to the Targaryens because they built the realm."

Claim by right of ownership is another way of looking at what is legitimate. 

As you both can see, legitimate claim is rather inexact during times of uncertainty and instability.  The question of legal right of ownership was consistent for the most part during the 300 year reign of the Targaryens.  Even then there were the occasional challenges to the succession.  So we should now stop thinking of having the legal right in absolute terms. 

1 hour ago, Bowen Marsh said:

Power base encompass many traits.  The fact that a Khal of Drogo's stature would want to marry a Targaryen princess says a lot about appeal of this family.  To me, "power base" mean assets and resources that one could use.  Simply being a Targaryen is an asset and has the potential to get resources.  The Targaryens have no equal

While I agree the Targ's have no equal & they still have influence I don't think Khal Drogo's decision to marry Dany had anything to do with it. Remember he didn't even know anything about her father & his "iron chair" Illyrio may have told him she was a princess or something along those lines but I don't think being a Targ had anything to do with it. 

On 12/5/2019 at 8:59 PM, Bowen Marsh said:

Power base encompass many traits.  The fact that a Khal of Drogo's stature would want to marry a Targaryen princess says a lot about appeal of this family.  To me, "power base" mean assets and resources that one could use.  Simply being a Targaryen is an asset and has the potential to get resources.  The Targaryens have no equal. 

The assets and the resources were slowly diminishing over time.  King Viserys 3 was slowly losing his chances until he met up with Illyrio and the marriage between Princess Daenerys and Khal Drogo was brokered.  All of that is just water under the bridge now.  Khaleesi Daenerys hatched her three dragons and she now has more resources than her glorious ancestors who conquered the west.  To directly answer the question from Mario Seddy: No, quite the opposite.  The Targaryen (Daenerys) has built herself a very, very strong power base.  That's perhaps not the answer Mario Seddy was expecting nor hoping to receive but it is the truth.  I would love to see Khaleesi-Queen Daenerys succeed and rule over Westeros.  

Archived