The Mandalorian (Spoiler Thread)

Rhom

It was...fine. The production qualities are quite good, with a lot of nice callbacks. Seriously, they had life day! Some small bits of humor that worked, and some that fell flat. Ig88 was great. It works okay as a western, but only okay. 

The action sequences were great. The non action sequences were often dull. We dont need two minutes of blacksmithing. 

It felt like a live action version of Rebels, and that makes sense, but just like rebels the highlights are offset by the slower pacing. 

Also the soundtrack is distinctly un star wars and kind of sucks balls. 

I get the Rebels comparison.  I don't think I realized that Filoni was the main figure on the show until the credits ran and I did a literal "Ohhhhh…" in my head when I saw it.

Overall, I agree that the graphics are gorgeous and the set pieces were good.  There were times that I felt like we were looking at a "grimdark future" in some ways.  The rusty doors and dusty back alleys.  The cantinas where murder sits at the next table.  Out of all the movies, the tone felt closest to early ANH or R1.  It also reminded me of the Star Wars Bounty Hunter game that I played long ago on the PS2.

I don't know that I agree on the music.  It didn't have any major sweeping themes, but that may just be the fact that we are just 40 minutes in and there will be more noticeable callbacks as we go. 

I think as an introductory episode, it works really well.  That comes with a huge caveat that the implication being the rest of the series will build on the foundation built here.  

I don't like the one episode release schedule.  I'm sure they are doing it this way so you don't get a few million sign up for the free trial and drop it 8 hours later; but most shows these days are made for binge watching.  I wouldn't have had time to do an entire series today... but having two or three episodes at the jump would have been welcome.

5 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I'd like to think you're a better writer then that.

Haven't read that specific review, but I've always liked VanDerWerff as a critic.  She's been around for awhile.

14 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I dunno, it reads like someone who has never actually seen a Star Wars films outside of the occasional TV run on TNT or something.

Van Der Werff has definitely seen Star Wars (she was the one AV Club had interview Mark Hamill almost a decade ago to discuss his career, including Star Wars), and is on the whole a pretty good and insightful critic, even if I don't agree with all of her reviews. She's definitely more readable than, say, Film Critic Hulk.

I haven't seen The Mandalorian -- won't until March -- and this review doesn't dissuade me from seeing it, it just lets me know that my suspicions that this was going to be closer to a Marvel's Agents of SHIELD or Luke Cage than to a Deadwood were about right. Favreau is a nice seeming guy, done some nice things, but he is not a challenging director or someone with a strong thematic thread in any of his works, so what can you expect? He's a fan of SW and he's a solid and dependable workhorse, basically a younger, beefier Ron Howard. It's no surprise if for the most part the product will be okay rather than great.

The fact that I'm most excited by seeing Werner Herzog in this says something about what really hit the mark for me. 

But it's just a first episode review,  as well, and there's a season of episodes left, so who knows.

6 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Going for the trifecta. 

Watching Star Wars, while doing a Star Wars puzzle, and drinking out of a Star Wars shot glass. 

You’re like a modern day George Coatanza.

8 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Did we expect Deadwood???

Serious question, because I definitely did not.

I didn't either, but the response to a critic saying it's kind of just okay makes it feel like some are expecting more.

17 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well that definitely does not sound like George Costanza.

That’s a relief. 

I never really watched Seinfeld so I googled the character when he was brought up. 

The terms “King of Idiots” and “Slow Witted” were in the description. 

I think after this first episode I’m going to do my usual thing when watching shows that come out weekly. Wait for 2-3 episodes to get saved up and then watch them every half month. 

I liked it, though I would say the end gun fight + reveal and the cold start were the highlight. I don't recall Mandalorians wearing helmets all the time in private in Rebels or Clone Wars. That whole thing made me think of Predators. The Imperial guy's speech was meant to feel deep, but honestly not sure what we're suppose to get out of it. 

It has a mix of nice polish and grit, which makes it feel weird a bit.

47 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

That’s a relief. 

I never really watched Seinfeld so I googled the character when he was brought up. 

The terms “King of Idiots” and “Slow Witted” were in the description. 

I think after this first episode I’m going to do my usual thing when watching shows that come out weekly. Wait for 2-3 episodes to get saved up and then watch them every half month. 

There was an episode where George combined his two loves, food and sex and then wanted to go for the trifecta by adding television.  Found a woman into the same thing and she uttered the classic line “I find pastrami to be the most sensual of the smoked meats.”

Archived