The Mandalorian (Spoiler Thread)

Rhom

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I dunno, it reads like someone who has never actually seen a Star Wars films outside of the occasional TV run on TNT or something.

To me it read precisely like she had been a big fan, and this was...fine. 

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Did we expect Deadwood???

Serious question, because I definitely did not.

I didn't expect Deadwood, but I also hoped it would be a bit more than a casual ep of Rebels, with fairly uninteresting secondary characters and a textbook plot. I was honestly hoping for something more like Rogue One, with characters who have clear motivations and some interesting, grey conflicts. I was hoping that we'd get a bit more of him, ya know, hunting, instead of some bizarre Nick Nolte as free-range philosopher and an extended sequence of breaking in an ugly horse.

I guess that's what's most disappointing to me - that (much like Rebels) this feels so incredibly immature as a story. Perhaps I shouldn't think that it would be different - it's not like any of the main movies were particularly nuanced - but I was hoping for something a bit meatier, like Solo or Rogue One. But instead we get "I have spoken" and extended bathroom molting jokes mixed in with some seriously cool action sequences. 

And no, Mandalorians don't go around wearing their helmets all the time, and typically aren't wearing their helmets except in battle. I don't know what's up with that. 

Just now, Darth Richard II said:

I dunno, if you don't get why a baby yoda is a big deal, you really haven't been paying much attention to Star Wars.

Is there more to it other than the fact I don’t think I’ve ever seen any other member of his species?

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

Is there more to it other than the fact I don’t think I’ve ever seen any other member of his species?

Yeah, his species and origin are supposed to be a super duper ultra secret Lucas never told anybody, and was also the one thing before he sold off Lucasfilm that no one in any capacity was even allowed to touch.

10 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

@Kalbear Have you watched Rebels past the first bunch of episodes?

I have! I haven't watched the latest season, but I've watched everything before, along with most of Clone Wars. And eventually Filoni gets there (sometimes), but it is often kind of trite and not particularly interesting. In particular he rarely has good guys turning particularly bad. Bad guys end up having a heart of gold or whatever, but good guys don't ever get particularly corrupt. I like Rebels, but there are a LOT of filler episodes and a lot of very forgettable generic characters. When it's good it is super awesome - having Vader come in and kick everyone's ass was great, and I like what he does with the Force and balance at times - but most of Zed's story, the fucking Mandalorian subplot, and much of the actual rebel fight wasn't great.

11 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I dunno, if you don't get why a baby yoda is a big deal, you really haven't been paying much attention to Star Wars.

I knew that, but I also just don't care that much. I guess it's cool they can finally explore that part, but it's also a baby Yoda that isnt' going to be useful for a while. 

12 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I think it was a pilot episode.  Lots to think about, mainly because we're not given a whole lot.

Once they revealed the baby Yod, I assumed we are going to get a riff on Lone Wolf and Cub...

I was thinking of that too.

@Kalbear ooof, I think Rebels is possibly the best Star Wars...including the OT.

35 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I think it was a pilot episode.  Lots to think about, mainly because we're not given a whole lot.

Once they revealed the baby Yod, I assumed we are going to get a riff on Lone Wolf and Cub...

I figured the child flashes we saw during the blacksmith scene will be his motivation.

33 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I was thinking of that too.

@Kalbear ooof, I think Rebels is possibly the best Star Wars...including the OT.

When it's good, it's really really awesome. The Maul/Obi-Wan encounter is one of the best things ever. And they absolutely nailed Vader. But there are a lot of very, very dull episodes along that way, and it also isn't particularly good at serializing - most of the eps are self-contained. And that's fine! But it's not what I'm wanting any more.

Why is it assumed that the Yoda is a baby?  What if he/she/it was simply sleeping when the Mando woke it up and so didn't talk because it was groggy? Regardless I honestly don't really care about the past of yodas race or whatever,

What I am interested in is who hired the IG droid to specifically kill the Yoda.  Given that the Empire would prefer it alive..... would that mean the Republic wants it dead?

Thought the droid hating of the Mando was a nice touch given that they actually seem to give him a reason which they don't generally.. He's likely 30-40 so he would have been orphaned by Separatist droids and that's likely what was happening in the flashbacks.

2 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, cause they say its a baby, dont they?

A  droid and a dude who don't know what the target is (and likely have no idea idea of it's race) aren't really trustworthy on that point.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

What do you mean by Mando history, exactly? Cause there is a LOT of it.

I don't know, a bit about what the state of the Mandalorians is post empire (use the stuff from Rebels maybe), maybe something about Mandalor or their culture. Even something more in the blacksmith, talk about Beskar and why it is important. Basically anything other than horse training.

Archived