The Mandalorian (Spoiler Thread)

Rhom

It had too many moments that felt purely for fan service, but I enjoyed it and hope to see it improve dramatically. This was quite clearly the prologue of the story to come, and there have been many shows I've loved that start with an imperfect pilot.

They're making Pedro's job even harder by barely letting him even speak. His entire acting performance is having to be portrayed through unusual stillness, which he's still making work, but I want more.

6 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

I liked it, though I could have without the horse taming scene, that was fucking pointless and they should have done something more with Mando history.

Except this scene showed the man's not perfect. Up until then, the dude was a badass, but glad to see he's not a master of everything.

8 hours ago, Slurktan said:

What I am interested in is who hired the IG droid to specifically kill the Yoda.  Given that the Empire would prefer it alive..... would that mean the Republic wants it dead?

I wondered about that too. The droid obviously got different orders than Mando.  (Does he have a name and I missed it? Or is he going the whole spaghetti western bit as the Man With No Name?)

17 hours ago, Ran said:

He's a fan of SW and he's a solid and dependable workhorse, basically a younger, beefier Ron Howard.

Heh, just noticed Bryce Dallas Howard is directing the fourth episode (also of interest - Waititi is directing the season finale).

As soon as that taxi speeder guy talked I said "Ahhh Brian Posehn is in Star Wars!!!" That was great.

Wonder how they'll get some acting chops outta Pascal more than "walk confidently" and "turn head threateningly". I assume they will. 

Final thought, I love his armor and costume lots and lots. A 12" figurine of some sort will likely be on my bookshelf eventually.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

(Does he have a name and I missed it? Or is he going the whole spaghetti western bit as the Man With No Name?)

Dyn Jarren. Thought it has not been revealed yet for whatever reason. 

51 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

ok so who can explain Baby Yoda and what is the time frame of The mandalorian? does it take place 800 years before Episode 4?

Is that Yoda as a baby, or just a baby same species as Yoda

or did Yoda have a baby?

It's five years after Return of the Jedi, we just oddly have never been given a name for Yoda's species. 

Edit: I suppose this baby could be speaking and doing shit by the time of episode IX, but I dunno how that would play if he just showed up and you had to watch this show to understand. 

49 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

ok so who can explain Baby Yoda and what is the time frame of The mandalorian? does it take place 800 years before Episode 4?

Is that Yoda as a baby, or just a baby same species as Yoda

or did Yoda have a baby?

This is post RotJ and pre TFA I believe.   Hence the Imperials fallen on hard times and the fact that he doesn't want payment in Imperial credits.

The significance of the baby?  :dunno:  Maybe the race is known to be incredibly force sensitive as a whole?

15 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Dyn Jarren. Thought it has not been revealed yet for whatever reason. 

It's five years after Return of the Jedi, we just oddly have never been given a name for Yoda's species. 

Edit: I suppose this baby could be speaking and doing shit by the time of episode IX, but I dunno how that would play if he just showed up and you had to watch this show to understand. 

15 minutes ago, Rhom said:

This is post RotJ and pre TFA I believe.   Hence the Imperials fallen on hard times and the fact that he doesn't want payment in Imperial credits.

The significance of the baby?  :dunno:  Maybe the race is known to be incredibly force sensitive as a whole?

And then I was reading somewhere that the baby is already 50 years old?

So there must be a planet or Yoda creatures somewhere.....

Also if the baby was on a bounty hunter kill list then I think @Rhom you must be right that someone is afraid it will pick up the force quickly.

I guess my take is that....if the babies are babies for 50 years and this one is so hunted, whatever the yoda species is must reproduce very very rarely.

If the baby yoda ever does speak, please for the love of god let it use normal sentence structure. It doesn't make any sense for that to be a genetic trait. But I'm totally expecting it to talk like Yoda. "Need to go potty, I do."

1 hour ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

or did Yoda have a baby?

My first thought was no. But since the species lives so long, maybe they have like a decades long gestational period? But Jedi are celebrate aren't they? I don't need the reveal that Yoda and Yaddle were have a torrid affair before the republic fell. 

28 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

I will watch the episode again tonight with the closed captions on.  I find that doing that reveals so many things I would have never picked up on.

Oddly, I couldn’t get the subtitles to show up for the Mandalorian, but they worked for A New Hope when I watched it afterwards. 

I really liked it for a first episode.  Never saw any of the cartoons (though they are on my radar now that they're all on disney+), so coming at it with just seeing the live action movies I thought it was great.  Sat better with me than either ep 7, 8, or Solo; about on par with Rogue One, though it's early and I'm excited to see where it goes.

8 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well no I was more referring to the fact that I have never seen him say a single positive thing about Star Wars in the entire time I've been on this forum, just lots of hate.

This is wildly silly. I could as easily say I've never seen you say anything critical about Star Wars (and would likely be just as wrong).

Here is Relic putting TESB as one of the films of the "Golden Age" of cinema, a list he notes is a list of films that are better than almost any new film he'd seen in the decade prior. He even notes:

And then came Star Wars. All three movies had already been out for a goodly amount of time before my parents deemed me old enough to watch them (they viewed science fiction movies as garbage), but my little sister and i would binge on Star Wars every other weekend when my father picked up up for two days.

Archived