The Mandalorian (Spoiler Thread)

Rhom

What I would say is that Relic has high standards for entertainment which combines with his (reasonable) cynicism/concern regarding the market dominance of Disney to mean new Star Wars has a high bar to clear. I can definitely get why you'd have not been impressed under those circumstances.

I'm watching with a low bar and willing to give the show a boost to get over it, and I enjoyed it a fair bit but wouldn't say it was perfect. A solid enough pilot with a premise I'm interested in that will need to improve - as many shows do after their pilot episode. I also love both cartoon series that Filoni has done, so I know I'm interested in stories he's telling.

Watched it yesterday, going in with tepid expectations. I thought it was a good enough first episode. There were spots where I did get, and mumble in my brain, cartoonish vibes.

I have no exposure to anything other than the films so I have a clean slate as far as back stories go. But I do have a question. Is the bounty hunters armor a pride thing? I know it's like a bullet proof vest but is there more to it?

If the yoda was 50 years old, as they stated, it predates or is real close to the beginning of the prequel trilogy since Luke was born at the end of it and is 18-22 in ANH? 

2 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I have no exposure to anything other than the films so I have a clean slate as far as back stories go. But I do have a question. Is the bounty hunters armor a pride thing? I know it's like a bullet proof vest but is there more to it?

It's not a bounty hunter thing, it's a national/cultural identity thing that belongs to the Mandalorians. They're from a planet, Mandalore, which has a very martial tradition with a heavy focus on honor and other parts of a warrior code. They were a historical rival to the republic that, in the old EU/legends was defeated by the Jedi in a *very* brutal war over a thousand years before the current time (comes up but not on screen in the games Knights of the Old Republic 1&2).

My memory is rusty on the more recent history, but Mandalore was a fallen empire shortly before the clone wars with a leader that was trying to change the culture and was the functional leader of a neutral faction through the clone wars, however it's leader was displaced in a coup by a terrorist group (called Death Watch) that celebrated the old ways and wanted to turn Mandalore back into an empire, only to have their leader challenged and killed by Maul which left the Mandalore faction being run by a criminal syndicate.

This led to a Republic invasion to try liberate the planet in "The Siege of Mandalore" which will be shown in the upcoming season of The Clone Wars, only to have Palps execute order 66 right as victory was attained, leaving Mandalore conquered by the Empire. This led to it being pillaged by Imperials and collaborators and leaving the trappings of old Mandalore a highly symbolic thing, hence the reverence for the armor. As they could no longer be conquerors, those particularly drawn to the warrior code and not inclined to work for the Empire wound up bounty hunters.

10 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Was it ever established that Jango Fett was actually a Mandalorian...? Or just a guy in their armor...?

There was a thing about him having stolen the armor, but I don't remember if that's nucanon or legends

ETA: Checked on the wiki, legends version he was Mandalorian, nucanon he claims to be from Concord Dawn (a mando world) but is disavowed by the mando government who say he's a pretender. His armor is also regular steel not the fancy stuff Pedro is collecting in this pilot.

The reveal at the end was a genuine surprise and the show definitely has its own feel. I think it may have benefited from episode 2 introducing more characters (I'm guessing we'll see some then). My main issue was the plot feeling like "star wars: red dead redemption" which isn't a bad thing but left me wanting to play it as a game more than watch it.

As a Star Wars fan who has enjoyed all of the movies and the non-filler parts of Rebels/Clone Wars, I agree: It was fine.

I'll keep watching. It had some really fun moments. Some of the "fine" may be Filoni (Italian for "filler"?) traits. Rebels has some really great moments and too many meh. The Rebels pilot was really weak. BUT he later gave us scenes like Vader vs Ashoka and Maul vs Old Ben that weren't just fighting, but carried emotional real weight. I rewatched Vader/Ashoka episodes with my son when D+ launched. Really well done. He also made me care about the main characters enough to consider them as canon in my head as the film characters.

So, I'm hoping this just suffers from common pilot weakness of over focusing on style and tone over character and plot.

Any thoughts about the validity of the the Fett cameo?

The Yoda race has a weird life-cycle... if Yodaspawn is 50 and still in a basinette, that would be like having to wheel our own runny nose, bank account draining life wreckers around until they're 5-6 years old... 

That said, i dug it... it'll definitely go into our rotation... I shit on Star Wars a lot because of catering to the Frozen crowd, and having to wade through pandering drek in between decent story bits... but at the end of the day it's still kinda cool 

I wanted to like it. Really. But I felt detached the entire time I was watching. 

I'd LOOOOVE to connect to another Star Wars story. That's the only reason I keep coming back to these threads. It's just not happening for me. 

Watched episode 2. I liked it more than 1. Relic is right that it feels like a live-action cartoon, or maybe even a RPG video game, but it's not bad. It's good, it's fun, it's a space western Star Wars.

I really liked the Jawa plot, and beast fight was solid, and I less bothered in this episode that he didn't remove his helmet at all.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Watched episode 2. I liked it more than 1. Relic is right that it feels like a live-action cartoon, or maybe even a RPG video game, but it's not bad. It's good, it's fun, it's a space western Star Wars.

I really liked the Jawa plot, and beast fight was solid, and I less bothered in this episode that he didn't remove his helmet at all.

Da fuck? Just started episode 2 and the runtime is 30 minutes.Even shorter than ep. 1.Why not just make it an animated series in the first place???

I liked the second ep a lot less. The badass mandalorian gets his ass handed to him by Jawas and a bull. He ends up killing the animal for protecting its young, then the jawas trade a mountain of spare parts for a snack. We get mando getting ambushed by people who apparently just teleported in. We entirely forget that he rode in in the first place and that he absolutely needed to ride.

And we get YET ANOTHER FUCKING MONTAGE OF METTALURGY. Seriously, what is this shows fetish on blacksmithing?

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Da fuck? Just started episode 2 and the runtime is 30 minutes.Even shorter than ep. 1.Why not just make it an animated series in the first place???

To be fair, animated shows are 30 minutes with commercials. 

Archived