The Mandalorian (Spoiler Thread)

Rhom

The Lil' Yoda is adorable, but I have to agree I didn't like this one as much. Loved some of the fantastic visuals, him coming over the ridge in the desert, etc. But such a short episode amounted to little more than "Killed some Jawas and an angry mom cow". I might try to skip the rest of the weekly episodes until I can stream the rest of the season in one or two sittings.

8 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I liked the second ep a lot less. The badass mandalorian gets his ass handed to him by Jawas and a bull. He ends up killing the animal for protecting its young, then the jawas trade a mountain of spare parts for a snack. We get mando getting ambushed by people who apparently just teleported in. We entirely forget that he rode in in the first place and that he absolutely needed to ride.

Yeah episode 2 is.... not good.  I pretty much agree on all points.  I thought the point they were establishing in the first scene of episode 1 was that he's really good.  Then this.  Like did they purposely make the monster look like the rhino thing in Attack of the Clones to show how inferior this Mando is to Jango Fett?  And yes what was the effing point of the 5 minute long scene of him learning to ride in episode 1. Pretty awful blatantly filler episode.

Yeah, this is officially stupid. Very pretty stupid, but an infant has mastery of the Force comparable to that of a trained Jedi with centuries of experience just because he's the same species? Also, why not scavenge the Mandalorian's weapons and armour while he's unconscious? He just killed a bunch of them so they've no reason to be merciful, and it seems implausible that his gear isn't valuable enough to stop for. And who were the people he massacred in the first episode, and why were they looking after the infant? That might get explained later, I suppose.

/jawa "We want your beskar steel!"

/alsojawa "We want your baby!" 

/alsoalsojawa "We just stunned you and shot you off the side of a crawler and left you to die there, and we are known for scavenging every single god damn thing around that isn't nailed down, but we will NOT stoop to, ya know, stripping bodies".

/alsoalsoalsojawa "But we're  totes cool with selling off a spaceship's worth of parts for an egg"

Can't even blame Filoni for this one - it was written by Favreau. 

12 hours ago, felice said:

Very pretty stupid, but an infant has mastery of the Force comparable to that of a trained Jedi with centuries of experience just because he's the same species? 

There's speculation that Yoda's race could be naturally strong in the force, and in opposition to the Sith race. We'll see. And while they apparently age slowly, we don't know how slow is the development of their connection to the force. This is all a setup now, if it's developed sensibly, it won't be that stupid.

50 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Lando works for the remnants of the Empire? Or is at least on good terms with them?

Are these dirty stormytrooper guys are the pre starter to the 1st order?

Music is not star wars like

But... 2 eps down, great fucking show so far

That’s Carl Weathers, not Billy Dee Williams. You know, Apollo Creed? Or Action Jackson? Or Chubs Peterson?

What the hell planet is the first two episodes supposed to be on?  Because all those Jawas and the dessert and the moisture farming...it feels like Tatooine, but I don't remember it being named...

And the second epsiode... yeah, I don't know.  I see all the points against it. But it also looks good.  But it sure needed more meat to the overall story.

And Baby Yoda being "good" at the force...well, it leave him passed out a for more than a few days...

Saw the first two episodes, thought it was middling at best. For a "super badass Mandalorian", he gets his ass kicked a lot of the time and without much flair. 

I'll give it some more time to flourish, as Disney threw a lot of money against it and the 30 minute episode concept is something that has definitely peaked my interest. Hope it improves though. 

Only seen the first episode and while the plot wasn’t anything special, I really appreciated the aesthetic of it, and the simple old school storytelling. It was a hell of a lot better than any other Star Wars properties I’ve seen for a long time.

Hope the second episode doesn’t spoil things too much.

Doctor Pershing, working for the Client, is from Kamino, evidenced by the patch on his right shoulder.  So it is possible this baby is an actual clone of Yoda. 

50 years old puts the birth of baby Yodaa about 9-10 years before Episode 1 I think.  Which might be the same time the Clone Troopers were made, if they're all about 20 years old in Ep. 2.

9 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Doctor Pershing, working for the Client, is from Kamino, evidenced by the patch on his right shoulder.  So it is possible this baby is an actual clone of Yoda. 

50 years old puts the birth of baby Yodaa about 9-10 years before Episode 1 I think.  Which might be the same time the Clone Troopers were made, if they're all about 20 years old in Ep. 2.

I was thinking about that, too. Maybe Sifo-Dyas thought about cloning Jedi originally, and secretly got some DNA from Yoda.

41 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Going on the old EU clone naming conventions... would it be Yooda? Or Yodaa?

:lol: 

Ep 2 was daft filler but it was fun so I don't mind. I'm okay with thingymabob not being as badass as he claims because, well, we're kinda just assuming that he's badass and so does everyone else, because he's a Mandalorian. The scene in ep 1 with the other Mando makes it reasonably clear that he's actually fairly rookie and the whole Mandaloring thing.

Sceptical about BabYoda being so strong in the force but there are obviously plenty indictaions that they're something remarkable. I like the clone theory though it'd need to be a souped-up clone for that to fly if we don't assume Yoda's whole training philosophy was just hypocrisy and he coasted on natural talent.

Generally I just like the whole vibe. It's not what the trailers and early parts promised, but on its own terms of what it's actually been so far it's an endearing, charming show with a pleasing physicality about the action scenes even when they're goofy (the Jawa fortress scene in particular). It won't win awards, but it's eminently watchable.

Archived