The Mandalorian (Spoiler Thread)

Rhom

The whole never remove your helmet thing is just silly. How do you repair it?  It would make more sense if they explain that you never remove it, unless "off duty" so to speak, so no one knows who you are?

The show almost feels like a live action cartoon, and I think I am ok with that. Have to remember this is a Disney production and they will only go so far.

Funny thing, I watch it until the very end because I love seeing the artist renditions of the scenes.

Saw a recent reddit theory that Yoda's, "There is another" line in ROTJ actually means Rey and not Leia...but shouldn't Yoda have a sense of another of his race out there...? If Baby Yoda is about 50 and this show is 5 years after Episode VI shouldn't Yoda have a sense of him...? Hell, couldn't Yoda be the Papa, as there was that female of his species on the council...just saying...

I can't hate this show. In fact the child in me loves it. My logical mind has given up noticing how terrible this is, so rest of me is happy to keep tuning in for the remainder of the season.

Still... Watching baby Yoda in his hover-nette got me thinking... what an efficient no-force required mode of transport for a small being. Why the heck didn't adult Yoda use one of these? All that screen time wasted watching him hobble around with his tiny cane, too proud to use his powerful ally The Force to make life a little easier. It was only cool when he hobbled in before the Dooku fight.

And... If Action Jackson had seen the first two episodes he wouldn't have extolled Mando in-front of all those cantina regulars. In fact he would said something like, "You lucky sumavabitch. I thought those Jawas got you for sure." What did one of those bounty hunters say in disgust? Eechoota! Indeed.

9 hours ago, ithanos said:

I can't hate this show. In fact the child in me loves it. My logical mind has given up noticing how terrible this is, so rest of me is happy to keep tuning in for the remainder of the season.

Yeah. It's funny while I'm watching it it's a lot of fun. Then I think about it after and parts of it make little to no sense.

Like in the first episode the bounty is some secret underground thing and it's unusual for Dyn to have to go meet the client in person. The client talks about his reputation and even gives him a down payment of one bar of beskar. But then in episode three we learn literally ever other bounty hunter in the settlement was also given the job. (did they all get a beskar ignot?) And most of them just...sat at the bar rather than travel to the planet the bounty was on?  How did the other Mandalorians even know Dyn needed help? 

That said my plan was to do the trial and then cancel it till Falcon and the Winter Solider. I like the show enough to keep the service a bit longer. Other than this and The Simpsons it really doesn't have much else that appeals to me. 

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I think it was Attack of the Clones but Yoda did have a hover chair at one point.

I get the impression that Lucas had binged Sorkin at some point before and whilst making the prequel trilogy. There's a lot of really bizarre walk-and-talks in the prequels that feel a bit incongruous. Why are the Trade Federation and Sidious having this crucial political-military discussion via mobile hologram whilst walking through the occupied enemy stronghold? Why is Yoda in this hover chair having a crucial meeting with Obi-Wan in the halls of the Jedi Temple rather than in a secure room? What is up with these people?

Regarding the never removing your helmet thing, I just kind of viewed it as a cultural thing, kind of like with the Army and always having your cover on outside, but off indoors, or like Spartans and their shields. Obviously not meant to be taken literally.

I was "meh" on the show until episode 3. The remnants of the Empire hatching a plan involving a Yoda? A disinterested New Republic? Mandalorians adhering to their code of honor and coming to the aid of one of their own in battle? Yes please!

ETA: Obviously it's being saved for a big reveal, but the perpetually helmeted Pascal does grate on me. Let the man act!

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

Yeah. It's funny while I'm watching it it's a lot of fun. Then I think about it after and parts of it make little to no sense.

Like in the first episode the bounty is some secret underground thing and it's unusual for Dyn to have to go meet the client in person. The client talks about his reputation and even gives him a down payment of one bar of beskar. But then in episode three we learn literally ever other bounty hunter in the settlement was also given the job. (did they all get a beskar ignot?) And most of them just...sat at the bar rather than travel to the planet the bounty was on?  How did the other Mandalorians even know Dyn needed help? 

That said my plan was to do the trial and then cancel it till Falcon and the Winter Solider. I like the show enough to keep the service a bit longer. Other than this and The Simpsons it really doesn't have much else that appeals to me. 

My biggest complaint about Disney+ so far is the lack of original content (or I guess I should say "new content"). Like, accessing the Disney library is cool and all, but there are very few Disney movies that I just have a hankering to see all of a sudden, and I already own all the Marvel movies and the Pixar movies that I want to re-watch on Blu-Ray. Thus far, I feel like I'm getting much better bang for my buck with Netflix and Prime (although I know that will change as Netflix loses its contracts).

Re: your comments - I thought the other bounty hunters did go look for the Yoda. Wasn't that what the one bounty hunter was complaining about to Greef when Mando returned for payment?

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

I get the impression that Lucas had binged Sorkin at some point before and whilst making the prequel trilogy. There's a lot of really bizarre walk-and-talks in the prequels that feel a bit incongruous. Why are the Trade Federation and Sidious having this crucial political-military discussion via mobile hologram whilst walking through the occupied enemy stronghold? Why is Yoda in this hover chair having a crucial meeting with Obi-Wan in the halls of the Jedi Temple rather than in a secure room? What is up with these people?

Probably coz Lucas became somewhat aware that he isn't the greatest technical director in the world and got worried that he can't shoot conversations dynamically if everyone's sitting in a room.

1 hour ago, The Great Unwashed said:

My biggest complaint about Disney+ so far is the lack of original content (or I guess I should say "new content"). Like, accessing the Disney library is cool and all, but there are very few Disney movies that I just have a hankering to see all of a sudden, and I already own all the Marvel movies and the Pixar movies that I want to re-watch on Blu-Ray. Thus far, I feel like I'm getting much better bang for my buck with Netflix and Prime (although I know that will change as Netflix loses its contracts).

Re: your comments - I thought the other bounty hunters did go look for the Yoda. Wasn't that what the one bounty hunter was complaining about to Greef when Mando returned for payment?

Other bounty hunters had gone and tried, and failed. The "I have spoken" guy said so, and thanked him for taking the yoda away because it would bring peace to his valley.  What doesn't make sense is why all the rest of the bounty hunters had that tracker if they had no intention on going after it.

As to the Disney content, it is pretty weak right now. I'm getting it for free so I don't mind but it would be a better value like 6 moths to a year from now unless you are a Disney Pixar person and watch them.

The only explanation I can come up with about the failure of the other bounty hunters has to do with the lack of complete data on the target. The Imperials only had half the tracking code and the last reported location. To this, the Imperial boss adds that someone of Mando's skill should have no problems, but the rest on the bounty hunters are presumably of lesser skill. Also, maybe, and yes I'm throwing a lot of maybes here, but damn it, it's the first live-action SW show, this show is the first SW movie/show to acknowledge that planets are big, and it takes awhile to find anything.

I think that asshole ughnaut basically told everyone except the mandalorian to fuck off. Yes, I realize this is contradicted in the show. That ughnaut is shifty and cant be trusted. 

Also apparently it wasnt that hard to find since a random droid also found it without issue, as did several others. They all just died. 

If the show actually cares about lore and background it should be really suspicious why trandoshans were part of the group guarding baby Yoda. They're not exactly known for their altruism. 

6 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I think that asshole ughnaut basically told everyone except the mandalorian to fuck off. Yes, I realize this is contradicted in the show. That ughnaut is shifty and cant be trusted. 

Also apparently it wasnt that hard to find since a random droid also found it without issue, as did several others. They all just died. 

If the show actually cares about lore and background it should be really suspicious why trandoshans were part of the group guarding baby Yoda. They're not exactly known for their altruism. 

I don't think that just because they were guarding baby Yoda that they necessarily altruistic. Thieves do rob from other thieves.

2 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I don't think that just because they were guarding baby Yoda that they necessarily altruistic. Thieves do rob from other thieves.

Sure. My point is that someone who can hire multiple trandoshans and have a small army at the ready is both probably very powerful and very bad. If they choose to explore this, itd be interesting to see where that goes. 

My suspicion is that it isn't going to go anywhere because this show isn't that kind of show, and it's just brains off and enjoy the pretty. 

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

Other bounty hunters had gone and tried, and failed. The "I have spoken" guy said so, and thanked him for taking the yoda away because it would bring peace to his valley. 

Right, I get that. But also  carl weathers acts like it's some off the books secret thing. Why did Jyn have to press him to get it when he apparently tells everyone?

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

What doesn't make sense is why all the rest of the bounty hunters had that tracker if they had no intention on going after it.

Did Herzog give him the tracker? or just the last four digits of a code to put into the tracker? I can't remember. But if all the guild member have trackers then the ending makes sense if Herzog issued a new bounty on Jyn. 

Archived