The Mandalorian (Spoiler Thread)

Rhom

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

I get the impression that Lucas had binged Sorkin at some point before and whilst making the prequel trilogy. There's a lot of really bizarre walk-and-talks in the prequels that feel a bit incongruous. Why are the Trade Federation and Sidious having this crucial political-military discussion via mobile hologram whilst walking through the occupied enemy stronghold? Why is Yoda in this hover chair having a crucial meeting with Obi-Wan in the halls of the Jedi Temple rather than in a secure room? What is up with these people?

5 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Probably coz Lucas became somewhat aware that he isn't the greatest technical director in the world and got worried that he can't shoot conversations dynamically if everyone's sitting in a room.

Walking and talking gives the illusion of the story moving forward. It also is the simplest way to change blocking for the purposes of cinematic language.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Did Herzog give him the tracker? or just the last four digits of a code to put into the tracker? I can't remember. But if all the guild member have trackers then the ending makes sense if Herzog issued a new bounty on Jyn. 

Ok, so sort of like John Wick when all the assassins get the alert.

13 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Probably coz Lucas became somewhat aware that he isn't the greatest technical director in the world and got worried that he can't shoot conversations dynamically if everyone's sitting in a room.

True, and it's part of cinematography lessons. However, it's always worthwhile mentioning to writers and directors that just because something looks artful or dynamic, that's not a reason to do it if it doesn't make any sense narratively.

Mind you, I've never been able to take Star Wars communications systems remotely seriously since the ESB Auralnauts takedown ("Hologram! Now!" "Why? Can't you just tell me over the screen?").

On 11/23/2019 at 2:37 AM, Veltigar said:

. Why throw so much good stuff away straight away?

Not every show has to back end their 'good stuff' - we also don't know that this is the extent of the 'good stuff', so to speak. There could be more to come!  I would also argue that there is a lot of things the show *hasn't* revealed which is what you basically state in the rest of your post.

I'm totally in favour of shows changing up their structure a little in that sense, even though this series so far is structured fairly classically.

Edit: I could listen to Werner Herzog speak all day - his accent fascinates me.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

That's basically what I was saying.

Yeah the board are my joke about "without the director having to get out of his chair or set down his coffee." 

Or I forgot to type It, regardless there was supposed to be more to that post.

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Not every show has to back end their 'good stuff' - we also don't know that this is the extent of the 'good stuff', so to speak. There could be more to come!  I would also argue that there is a lot of things the show *hasn't* revealed which is what you basically state in the rest of your post.

I'm totally in favour of shows changing up their structure a little in that sense, even though this series so far is structured fairly classically.

Edit: I could listen to Werner Herzog speak all day - his accent fascinates me.

I really doubt that this show is going to pull a Spartacus and turn our to be brilliant all of a sudden :p It looks gorgeous and it's fairly entertaining, but it isn't going to reach new heights.

Just now, Veltigar said:

Can I ask for a translation here for all the non-nerds out there who want to get some knowledge from the new master race? ;)   

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=trandoshan

Trandoshans are the species that Bossk comes from, and are a lizard-like race that likes hunting and killing a whole lot. They are not particularly nice, and have been used as brutal mercenaries and bounty hunters for a while in the Star Wars universe.

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=trandoshan

Trandoshans are the species that Bossk comes from, and are a lizard-like race that likes hunting and killing a whole lot. They are not particularly nice, and have been used as brutal mercenaries and bounty hunters for a while in the Star Wars universe.

Much obliged! :hat:

7 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I really doubt that this show is going to pull a Spartacus and turn our to be brilliant all of a sudden :p It looks gorgeous and it's fairly entertaining, but it isn't going to reach new heights.

Lol - that was not what the main point of my previous post.

I just don't really understand your 'the good stuff shouldn't be in the first few episodes' take. If you have an issue with the execution of the reveals then that makes sense to me, but if it's specifically that the timing and that these reveals should be saved up for the back end of the show, as if somehow that makes them better - that doesn't make too much sense to me.

Criticisms on writing etc are totally valid, imo.

5 hours ago, Raja said:

I just don't really understand your 'the good stuff shouldn't be in the first few episodes' take. If you have an issue with the execution of the reveals then that makes sense to me, but if it's specifically that the timing and that these reveals should be saved up for the back end of the show, as if somehow that makes them better - that doesn't make too much sense to me.

I like the show better than Veltigar does but I'm with him to some extent on this. It's not that you should have no good stuff early but certain things would work better with a bit more buildup. In particular I'm thinking of the Mandalorian cavalry arriving- it was a cool little action scene on its own, but a few more scenes going into the tension between him and the rest, particularly the big guy with the jetpack, would have made them riding to his rescue much stronger.

13 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I like the show better than Veltigar does but I'm with him to some extent on this. It's not that you should have no good stuff early but certain things would work better with a bit more buildup. In particular I'm thinking of the Mandalorian cavalry arriving- it was a cool little action scene on its own, but a few more scenes going into the tension between him and the rest, particularly the big guy with the jetpack, would have made them riding to his rescue much stronger.

No.

This is the way.

On 11/23/2019 at 8:23 AM, RumHam said:

I like how they established that he's never removed his helmet or let someone else remove it. Then he gets a new helmet so obviously he removed the old one. 

Unless I'm mistaken, he didn't get a new helmet. At the start of episode 1, his only shiny beskar armour was his helmet. He then got one pauldron with his baby yoda bounty advance payment. And he finally got a complete chest piece with the full payment. No new helmet.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I suppose complaints about the build up re: the mandalorian cavalry arriving are fair - but I didn't think that or the yoda force reveal were rushed especially as once you see baby yoda, you pretty much know it's going to use the force

I'm probably the other way in the sense that episode 3 felt like the first episode where i had a feel for what the show might be. For one we actually had some evidence of "mando" experiencing inner conflict instead of being a one track mind automaton. So i appreciated that he realises kid yoda is special (or that kid yoda made him).

A bit more chat with the mandalorians would have given us some drama but i think that would have been at the loss of the mandalorian culture. It's clear they are a people of few words but they also have a code eg they didn't appreciate mando working for the empire but his generous donation to the foundlings (or more accurately sticking to their code) was enough for them. It also sounds like some of the mandalorians are bristling to come out of hiding so this was an ideal opportunity. What will be interesting going forward is what will happen to these mandalorians now others know they are working as a group.

I get the impression the show is fully embracing the western by having a lot left unsaid. Some of the best westerns can come across as not having much going on but a rewatch can reveal so much more eg unforgiven. Too soon to tell whether this will be the case for this show without the rest but there seems to be a very methodical approach even with the bursts of action.

I love the theme music and end credits art though!

On 11/22/2019 at 10:31 PM, dooog said:

So like how does he bathe if he never removes it? How does he eat? Do Mandalorians constantly butt helmets when they're trying to reproduce?

His head, along with the heads of all his dumbass mando mates, must be covered in smegma. Fucking disgusting.

Also, apart from never removing their helmets, do these people not have freaking names? Heavy Infantry? Armourer? WTF is this shit?

Archived