The Mandalorian (Spoiler Thread)

Rhom

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

His head, along with the heads of all his dumbass mando mates, must be covered in smegma. Fucking disgusting.

Also, apart from never removing their helmets, do these people not have freaking names? Heavy Infantry? Armourer? WTF is this shit?

The "no helmets off ever" is stupid and contradicts rebels and clone wars. Unless they are doing a Watchmen tv thing where it's a safety issue no one knowing who anyone is but if that is the case we need filling in.

I imagine the skin on your face would really go to crap if you never take a helmet off

8 hours ago, AndrewJ said:

Unless I'm mistaken, he didn't get a new helmet. At the start of episode 1, his only shiny beskar armour was his helmet. He then got one pauldron with his baby yoda bounty advance payment. And he finally got a complete chest piece with the full payment. No new helmet.

Oh, maybe.  I thought it looked shinier

Maybe he had it polished.

4 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Also, apart from never removing their helmets, do these people not have freaking names? Heavy Infantry? Armourer? WTF is this shit?

The main guy and the heavy infantry (voiced by Favreau) have names that just haven't been uttered oh the show. Favreau's guy seems to be related to a mandalorian he voiced oh clone wars named Pre Vizsla

Personally, I'm interpreting the never-remove-the-helmet ideology as never in the presence of others. So far, the only time we see the Mando completely alone was at the start of his mission to find the asset, right before he got attacked by the blurrgs, and he was in mission mode then.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

The "no helmets off ever" is stupid and contradicts rebels and clone wars. Unless they are doing a Watchmen tv thing where it's a safety issue no one knowing who anyone is but if that is the case we need filling in.

Again, this is something that may have been instituted as part of the Empire's great purge, a new cultural thing for the surviving Mandalorians.

The show does suffer from the same syndrome the new movies do - the purposeful lack of additional background information, due to other media. Some of the questions I see here may never be answered by this show, but by the final Clone Wars season, or novels and comic books.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Personally, I'm interpreting the never-remove-the-helmet ideology as never in the presence of others. 

I'm interpreting it as a lame, misguided attempt to go one step further than the age-old western trope of the mysterious, nameless stranger. 

5 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Personally, I'm interpreting the never-remove-the-helmet ideology as never in the presence of others. So far, the only time we see the Mando completely alone was at the start of his mission to find the asset, right before he got attacked by the blurrgs, and he was in mission mode then.

Again, this is something that may have been instituted as part of the Empire's great purge, a new cultural thing for the surviving Mandalorians.

The show does suffer from the same syndrome the new movies do - the purposeful lack of additional background information, due to other media. Some of the questions I see here may never be answered by this show, but by the final Clone Wars season, or novels and comic books.

Yeah, I'm willing to wait and see if there is a story reason for this apparent change. Filoni is involved in the show so it would seem odd for it to be contradictory. Filoni has also stated the final clone wars season will feature his favourite arc which concludes his mandalore story so you could be on the money with that prediction.

Three episodes in and I'm slowly coming around. Or at least 2 and 3 better than the pilot. It's still incredibly predictable and kind of trite, but I must say the idea of a bounty hunter protecting a baby Yoda has potential. If they could improve the dialogue and get into some deeper themes I might end up really enjoying this. Let's hope. 

9 hours ago, Relic said:

If they could improve the dialogue and get into some deeper themes I might end up really enjoying this. Let's hope. 

I don’t think the show needs any of that. It doesn’t need to be any deeper than it is, in fact it’s worst moments have been where it tries to add flesh to the bones of the characters.

Just have Mando be faceless, he wanders around getting into scrapes and well.. that’s it. You don’t need deep or clever dialogue, you don’t need naval gasing or exploring themes ... just a cool character, an interesting universe, some fun stories and fighting.

So far the show is hitting most of those marks for me.

On 11/25/2019 at 1:22 AM, Raja said:

Lol - that was not what the main point of my previous post.

I just don't really understand your 'the good stuff shouldn't be in the first few episodes' take. If you have an issue with the execution of the reveals then that makes sense to me, but if it's specifically that the timing and that these reveals should be saved up for the back end of the show, as if somehow that makes them better - that doesn't make too much sense to me.

Criticisms on writing etc are totally valid, imo.

The point is that their writing is crap, because they are throwing out epic series defining moments out in a hurry, without putting the proper foundations for it in place. To run with the Spartacus example 

Spoiler

Crixus & Spartacus were enemies when they first started, making it all the more satisfying when finally, at the end of the season they teamed up to slaughter their oppressors. The continuing relationship between Crixus and Spartacus, from enemies, to rivals, to unease brothers-in-arms to friends was one of the great joys of that series. 

Contrast that with The Mandolorian, were we learn of the existence of this secret cult of fighters, the conflict they feel about Mando's work for the Empire and then in the very same fucking episode they do the big reveal that there are a shit ton of Mandolorians left and the guy with whom Mando was fighting just 10 minutes earlier seems like his best pall all of a sudden.

It's lazy writing and it is shame to see how a show with this amount of cash thrown at it can still make these rookie mistakes. For once I'd like to see one of these prestige flagship shows were the quality of the writing can equal the visuals and effects. Imagine how glorious that would be!

On 11/25/2019 at 6:35 AM, polishgenius said:

I like the show better than Veltigar does but I'm with him to some extent on this. It's not that you should have no good stuff early but certain things would work better with a bit more buildup. In particular I'm thinking of the Mandalorian cavalry arriving- it was a cool little action scene on its own, but a few more scenes going into the tension between him and the rest, particularly the big guy with the jetpack, would have made them riding to his rescue much stronger.

:agree:

On 11/25/2019 at 6:48 AM, Rhom said:

No.

This is the way.

Mandalorian hivemind reveal would be cool :p 

21 hours ago, Spockydog said:

His head, along with the heads of all his dumbass mando mates, must be covered in smegma. Fucking disgusting.

:lmao:

22 hours ago, red snow said:

I get the impression the show is fully embracing the western by having a lot left unsaid. Some of the best westerns can come across as not having much going on but a rewatch can reveal so much more eg unforgiven. Too soon to tell whether this will be the case for this show without the rest but there seems to be a very methodical approach even with the bursts of action.

It might be a nice change of pace given the current political landscape, but silence does not equate depth. And Unforgiven is ruthlessly brilliant even on a first watch :p 

I think veltigar may need to brace himself with Disney+ shows and the likelihood they'll spend as much time/money on scripts as SFX and cast. I think the marvel shows could show cracks when having to deal out 6 hours of story per show. I enjoy the MCU but the writing is not the strong point besides delivering 2 hours of fun characters and usually has lots of holes they try and mask with spectacle. Disney wants broad appeal not nuance and it would be mad of them to risk losing their current success by rocking the boat. Although credit to them for doing avengers: infinity war the way they did.

It's funny you mention spartacus as I'd say "black sails" also seemed to spend as much time on writing as general production. Both were starz shows and maybe their more restricted budget helped in that sense. That said both shows had particularly bad opening episodes which if the mandalorian had had there'd be mobs at the doors of Disney offices. 

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

The point is that their writing is crap, because they are throwing out epic series defining moments out in a hurry, without putting the proper foundations for it in place. To run with the Spartacus example 

Reveal hidden contents

Crixus & Spartacus were enemies when they first started, making it all the more satisfying when finally, at the end of the season they teamed up to slaughter their oppressors. The continuing relationship between Crixus and Spartacus, from enemies, to rivals, to unease brothers-in-arms to friends was one of the great joys of that series. 

Contrast that with The Mandolorian, were we learn of the existence of this secret cult of fighters, the conflict they feel about Mando's work for the Empire and then in the very same fucking episode they do the big reveal that there are a shit ton of Mandolorians left and the guy with whom Mando was fighting just 10 minutes earlier seems like his best pall all of a sudden.

It's lazy writing and it is shame to see how a show with this amount of cash thrown at it can still make these rookie mistakes. For once I'd like to see one of these prestige flagship shows were the quality of the writing can equal the visuals and effects. Imagine how glorious that would be!

I don't think you can quite compare this guy's relationship with the other Mandalorians with the Spartacus/Crixus relationship. And the Mando had just gone and butchered the Imperials that were there and taken their prized asset. The show fails to give us a reaction to that from the other Mandalorians, but it's not hard to put 2 & 2 together.

3 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Didnt Spartacus change show runners early on?

Think it was Stephen S deknight throughout? Major change was losing the lead actor through ill health causing them to do a prequel show while he had treatment. Sadly he died and it's hard to do Spartacus without Spartacus so they had to recast

I think many people ascribe a level of complexity to Star Wars that has never existed.  It began as a simple salute to Saturday serials.  Somehow we now expect the movies to win Oscars for Best Drama and the shows to compete with The Sopranos and Deadwood.

8 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I think many people ascribe a level of complexity to Star Wars that has never existed.  It began as a simple salute to Saturday serials.  Somehow we now expect the movies to win Oscars for Best Drama and the shows to compete with The Sopranos and Deadwood.

I personally expect that if adults want to make money off of my childhood obsessions they will make these obsessions more adult like in order to keep up with my mental and emotional evolution. If not, they can fuck right off. 

Are my expectations unreasonable? Yes. Does that change anything for me? No. 

Archived