The Mandalorian (Spoiler Thread)

Rhom

3 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Anything against frog-eaters you have, uh?

I'm saying that in three episodes so far what humor we've had has largely been on the disgust side with the occasional 'hah, look at the baby fuck around with the spaceship' kind. There is no particular clever humor or anything close to it. It's just gross eggs and frog eating. 

I find it difficult to believe that Disney would introduce a character who's potentially the most powerful user of the force out there just to keep him as a cute baby.

...you realize Disney will make like a bajillion dollars on merchandising of said cute baby, right? Keeping him as a cute baby not only is something they'd do, they may now have a fiduciary responsibility to do so. 

Granted, it could take entire seasons for him to become more than that but the show has already proved the writers are not afraid to use a bit of deus ex machina to advance the plot. And perhaps I'm overthinking things but it seems to me that he can exhibit surprisingly mature behavior at times for an infant... Of course he acts like one most of the time, but part of it could be due to the detachment that comes with a deeper understanding of the force...

He eats frogs. You're overthinking things.

A bit of maths tells us Yoda started training jedi when he was around 100 years old so I'm pretty sure his species would get the ability to speak at around 50. He'd still be a kid of course, but his strong link to the force could make him perceive things very differently. And the prequels notwithstanding, jedi masters' trust in the force can easily be seen as aloofness from the outside. Not to mention the fact that Yoda was introduced in episode V as being rather playful... with a tendency to eat whatever he got his hands on. A playfulness that kinda disappeared from the prequels but was brought back in episode 8... In fact, if you forget about the prequels entirely you'd find it rather difficult to know for certain just how smart "BabyYoda" actually is.

Before you go all nuts on this, keep in mind that nothing important happened between Jedi and TFA. Baby Yoda can't be that big a deal. This is the problem with all in-betweenquels - we know there won't be particularly any big things happening because if they had, well, we'd have seen the effects. We haven't, so nope, it's nothing. Best you can hope for is that Baby Yoda turns into Snoke or some bullshit like that.

The fact he tried to heal (and later save) Mando wasn't that much to think about, but to me it was really him calmly observing the fight between Mando and Cara while holding his cup that triggered a wait-a-second thought. This is a child, not a baby. Children can learn fast, and I'm pretty sure this one will.

I continually am amazed at the ability for people to project things they want in some cases and come to decisions rashly in others. The overall reaction to baby Yoda compared to Rey is such an example. 

1 minute ago, Darth Richard II said:

Not sure if you are mocking PA here or not but if you are, I approve.

I'm mocking PA, star wars fans taking this show way too seriously and saying that it doesn't insult the viewer's intelligence (which is technically true, because the plots are so absurdly simple and telegraphed that there is no assumption of intelligence to be had), and the show itself. Making up random units of measurement instead of saying 'container' is not equivalent to worldbuilding. In the latest episode there was a guy who was holding a bowl of noodles and saying the same goddamn alien word 5 times. It'd be like a vendor saying "noodles, noodles? noodles! noodles noodles!". 

The show continues to be gorgeous, and the show is incredibly dumb. Though my current favorite thing is the beautiful widow falling in love with the Mandalorian without seeing his face once. Pedro Pascal, you got it in spades man

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

He eats frogs. You're overthinking things.

Luke was milking sea cows in TLJ. I'm not putting much past SW writers at this point.

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Before you go all nuts on this, keep in mind that nothing important happened between Jedi and TFA. Baby Yoda can't be that big a deal. This is the problem with all in-betweenquels - we know there won't be particularly any big things happening because if they had, well, we'd have seen the effects. We haven't, so nope, it's nothing.

Plenty of stuff happened in Clone Wars and Rebels despite having no discernible effect in the movies*. That doesn't mean any of it was "nothing." Leaving aside Clone Wars because of the chronology, characters like Vader, Leïa, Obi-Wan, or Yoda all appeared on Rebels, we learned plenty of details about the SW universe (some of it pretty big I'd say, but let's say that's just me), and the younger characters like Sabine Wren or Ezra Bridger could still show up in The Mandalorian, especially since Sabine was, you know, Mandalorian**.
I'm not even sure we can write off Ahsoka Tano yet (what's the life expectancy of a force-sensitive Togruta?), the conclusion of Rebels pretty much made her a grey master jedi.

I'd be the first to find my ramblings ridiculous if it wasn't for the fact that Rebels and The Mandalorian happen to have the same writer. Something about the opening suggests to me that Disney is trying to build a new expanded universe and I'd be surprised to say the least if links were not made between the different shows. I have no idea what's in episode 9, but introducing a "BabyYoda" is the perfect way to lay the groundwork for what comes after that.

Tbh I find your dismissiveness rather surprising. Four episodes in, and you seem convinced that The Mandalorian is just going to be a sort of Star Wars western? That nothing in it will prove important for the future of the entire franchise? Based on Rebels, I'd say the very opposite: that Filoni has always been itching to develop bigger stories but he couldn't given the timeframes he was working with. With episode 9 soon concluding the current trilogy I don't think it's crazy to assume he'll be free to start writing the future of the franchise. And he just introduced a character that can live for centuries, that's pretty big in itself. Since Disney intends to keep milking Star Wars forever it's a rather safe bet that "BabyYoda" is set to play a major role at some point or the other. I'd say it's more a matter of when and how and if anything I'm just a bit too eager to see it happen right now when it's more likely that it'll happen next year.

*Of course, the Ghost was arguably in Rogue One.
**The internet tells me her distinctive helmet has in fact been spotted on the set of The Mandalorian...

Just now, Rippounet said:

Luke was milking sea cows in TLJ. I'm not putting much past SW writers at this point. 

Yes! Exactly! This is Star Wars! This isn't fucking Watchmen or even Good Place. The best we get is sarcastic quips and odd comebacks. Serious banter? That's at best marvel movies.

Plenty of stuff happened in Clone Wars and Rebels despite having no discernible effect in the movies*. That doesn't mean any of it was "nothing." Leaving aside Clone Wars because of the chronology, characters like Vader, Leïa, Obi-Wan, or Yoda all appeared on Rebels, we learned plenty of details about the SW universe (some of it pretty big I'd say, but let's say that's just me), and the younger characters like Sabine Wren or Ezra Bridger could still show up in The Mandalorian, especially since Sabine was, you know, Mandalorian**.
I'm not even sure we can write off Ahsoka Tano yet (what's the life expectancy of a force-sensitive Togruta?), the conclusion of Rebels pretty much made her a grey master jedi. 

Really? So in Clone Wars, did Grievous and Dooku win? Did Anakin die? Did Obi-Wan? Did Palpatine? Did Padme? Gonna call a big ol' pile of bullshit there. Similarly in Rebels - did Leia die? Did Vader? 

If baby Yoda is super powerful, he'll get killed or sent to an alternate dimension like Ezra did. And the universe won't change. And by important I mean something that you actually need to have seen in order to understand or get. The Phantom showing up in R1 or in TROS is not 'important'. It's a small easter egg. A person never had to watch Clone Wars to understand what happened before RotS, and a person didn't have to watch Rebels to get what happened between RotS and ANH. 

The  Mandalorian can't be particularly important, and so far it hasn't shown any sign that it is. 

I'd be the first to find my ramblings ridiculous if it wasn't for the fact that Rebels and The Mandalorian happen to have the same writer.

Filoni is producing. So far Favreau is the writer. And he wants to bring back the Star Wars Holiday special. 

Tbh I find your dismissiveness rather surprising. Four episodes in, and you seem convinced that The Mandalorian is just going to be a sort of Star Wars western?

Given that it has taken basically every single Western trope and used it and leaned into it with a smattering of video game quest cliches and no sign of anything deeper...yes? Why wouldn't it be? 

Another way to say it is this: Disney cannot make their TV shows too important to the movies, because the movies is where they make their money. 

That nothing in it will prove important for the future of the entire franchise? Based on Rebels, I'd say the very opposite: that Filoni has always been itching to develop bigger stories but he couldn't given the timeframes he was working with.

Filoni isn't the writer, Favreau is.

But mostly, they've done nothing to indicate that this is nothing more than Rebels with an even dumber plot and fewer recurring characters. I liked Rebels for what it was, and I liked Clone Wars for what it was too, but neither were incredibly deep or built up major world building that mattered in the least or changed anything about the universe. Baby yoda is a good example - it's bringing up one species that shows up for something like 10 whole minutes in the entire series and changes nothing about the force, the battle, the sides, anything. It simply isn't that big of a deal, and that is okay! Did you need to know that baby Yoda existed in order to watch TFA?

With episode 9 soon concluding the current trilogy I don't think it's crazy to assume he'll be free to start writing the future of the franchise.

Other than him not getting contracted for it or having any indication that he's doing anything for the show, and his last project getting shitcanned after two seasons? You're right, it doesn't seem crazy at all! 

Also, it seems odd to be writing the future of the franchise based on a show that happened 30 years before the latest movies. Good luck with that.

And he just introduced a character that can live for centuries, that's pretty big in itself. Since Disney intends to keep milking Star Wars forever it's a rather safe bet that "BabyYoda" is set to play a major role at some point or the other. I'd say it's more a matter of when and how and if anything I'm just a bit too eager to see it happen right now when it's more likely that it'll happen next year.

Counterpoint: baby Yoda is cute, kickass teen yoda is not. 

33 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Counterpoint: baby Yoda is cute, kickass teen yoda is not.

Ezra was certainly painful to watch for most of Rebels.

Anyway, you don't buy that introducing a character who belongs to a species whose members can live for centuries and have such a mastery of the force that they can end up training jedis for 800 years is big. Fine.
I was certainly wrong to state it as fact that the character would have to be developped. Should have been more nuanced.
Didn't expect that to be controversial tbh. It's not like the entire plot of the show so far revolves around that character, right?

On the technical side of things: Filoni and Favreau work on this together. Favreau does seem to be the lead writer/creator, but Filoni is consistently named as both writer and director, they give interviews together, and Filoni has even answered questions about BabyYoda specifically ('tis why I mentioned him in the first place, he's the one who popped up in my feeds first).
I have no idea how you can say that there isn't "any indication that he's doing anything for the show," that's just plain odd. Dunno about whether he's "contracted" or not (would be weird to meif he wasn't, but sure).

Anyway, it's the first real live action series we get for SW. I personally believe it's set to have a much bigger impact on the franchise than the animated series. Like introducing a major character for the entire franchise. Maybe I'm wrong, and Disney will keep focusing everything on the movies and keep the TV shows entirely separate... After all, TV shows are absolutely not that big a deal these days.
But to make it simple:

The  Mandalorian can't be particularly important, and so far it hasn't shown any sign that it is.

That's precisely what we disagree on. I can't see how BabyYoda can be anything else than the sign that the show will prove quite important for the future of the franchise. At the very least that's what they want fans to believe. They're building hype, and google tells me it's working (fuck, I started seeing BabyYoda pop up everywhere before I had even found the time to start the show).
Maybe it's just a trick to get everyone watching and I fell for it. If so, it's certainly a better one than the porgs.

4 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Didn't expect that to be controversial tbh. It's not like the entire plot of the show so far revolves around that character, right?

Kinda think it revolves around the, ya know, Mandalorian. Don't mistake plot devices for plot.

On the technical side f things: Filoni and Favreau work on this together. Favreau does seem to be the lead writer/creator, but Filoni is consistently named as both writer and director, they give interviews together, and Filoni has even answered questions about BabyYoda specifically ('tis why I mentioned him in the first place, he's the one who popped up in my feeds first).
I have no idea how you can say that there isn't "any indication that he's doing anything for the show," that's just plain odd. Dunno about whether he's "contracted" or not (would be weird to meif he wasn't, but sure).

Sorry, that was a typo. It was meant to be 'doing anything AFTER the show'. Filoni certainly is working on this show, but so far he's been credited for writing one ep, and Favreau has been credited for all 4. Filoni has not been contracted to do any work on any other movies or shows other than Mandalorian. Whereas Rian Johnson still is working on Star Wars, we have this Feige thing going on, and Favreau is being hyped up. The idea that Filoni is in some kind of driver's seat to shape everything after seems optimistic at best.

That's precisely what we disagree on. I can't see how BabyYoda can be anything else than the sign that the show will prove quite important for the future of the franchise. At the very least that's what they want fans to believe. They're building hype, and google tells me it's working (fuck, I started seeing BabyYoda pop up everywhere before I had even found the time to start the show). 

Don't mistake hype for future planning. Hell, until last week Disney was doing C&Ds on baby yoda gifs being spread around. It seems pretty clear that they didn't have this quite so planned out and are riding it happily. I don't see how having a cute thing means that it's going to be the franchise runner, and honestly if it is I'm going to be kind of pissed; I really don't give two shits about some small baby growing for 800 years and finding out about yoda puberty. Yoda isn't exactly the most popular thing in the Star Wars universe to begin with; if they're making that as their franchise rock that's a pretty stupid idea.

It's more likely that he's cute and lovable and is a plot device.

Maybe it's just a trick to get everyone watching and I fell for it. If so, it's certainly a better one than the porgs.

Daisy Ridley would agree with you.

But hey, if you want 6 seasons and a movie about a cute baby yoda that has a deep Alec Baldwin voice, more power to you.

I enjoyed the episode. Dallas Howard did a good job directing (has she done anything else before?) With several scenes thst felt like homages/evoked other films eg when they were waiting for the walker to come out of the forest and into the trap it went from being king kong to Jurassic Park T-rex. They also drew a lot out of babyYoda this episode there's a curious learning/judging vibe coming off him (is he a he?).

Glad they cleared up that the helmet isn't always kept on. I wonder now whether a moment in the show will be him losing or having the helmet removed and then he's stuck as helmetless?

It looks like the show us settling into a tv hulk mode of wandering from place to place helping people out. I'm ok with that as it allows them to explore different settings. I'm really hoping they'll finally land on a planet that has a range of environments instead of being ice/sand/sea/forest planet.

12 hours ago, RumHam said:

Filoni knows that though. It's gotta be something they started after this "great purge" they mention. Like they didn't used to hide in weird dens either, but I think the idea is they've been hunted for years and their society totally decimated. 

The first problem however is that the Mando claims he hasn't shown his face to someone ever since he was taken in as a child. And in the flashback we see his parents massacred by battle droids, so he was taken in during the Clone Wars, probably while Maul was still in charge of Mandalore. And yet we see Mandalorians to be quite leisurely about showing their faces up until Rebels, what with Sabine's whole trip to the planet (I'm also thinking that this 'great purge' IS meant to be the occupation during the Imperial period we have seen there).

The second problem is that everybody the Mando meets treats it like common knowledge that the Mandalorians are totally weird about their helmets. If his clan is the only one having developed absurd eccentricities due to their hiding and isolation, then people wouldn't keep asking him about the helmet. Especially dirt poor farmers on a remote planet for which the legends of Revan and the Great Mandalore are probably more likely to have been absorbed into the common picture of Mandalorians than what Mandalorians warped into very recently while clinging to their last scraps of culture during a period of persecution.

I'm afraid the solution to this problem is very simple: They just didn't care. The helmet is the Mandalorians' most iconic feature, so they made them obsessed with it and bent the history to make it happen. Even fully knowing that having Mandalorian children running around with these helmets on looks silly as hell. But it's basically what a 12 years old thinks would be badass, so that's what it is. And that's why I compared him to the titular Goblin Slayer. As far as I am aware (as I obviously haven't seen that show myself and just looked it up as it kept popping up in my recommendations). That guy also never takes off his armor except in very few scenes, all to highlight in a very cringe-worthy way how 'badass' he is. Coincidentally the Goblin Slayer has basically the same backstory of having his family murdered and becoming obsessed with being a gruff loner obsessed with killing goblins/following the Mandalorian way.

(so that's why I found the Mando drily answering the question when he last took off the helmet with 'Just yesterday' to be so amusing, it seems that this writer noticed how silly it had become and poked some fun at the idea of him never taken it off ever)

Another episode, same story. The visuals continue to impress me and I'm a sucker for Baby Yoda, but the writing for this episode was really dumb as usual. Despite the short runtime, they keep on finding ways to unnecessarily waste screentime.

For example I didn't get the point of Gina Carino's character at all. Nice to have a badass female character and all that jazz, but why not scratch her and instead expand on the Widow's backstory. Let her lead the charge and answer some questions about her. Like how did she become such a crack shot? Where is she from and what is she doing in that remote shit hole village?

Put her more in the front and you get a to have your badass female character, but then with a more layered backstory and nuanced profile. Given her more screentime also allows you to build up that potential romantic entanglement with Mando, therefore making his choice to move on mean something instead being just a box-ticking exercise.

I'm also really starting to wonder what is so special about Mandaloreans. Even with the beskar armor, our protagonists gets beaten every single episode, usually on more than occasion. Unless his power is extreme luck, I just don't get the in-universe hype for these guys. I know that it would be boring too if he was the unstoppable killing machine who can't be touched, but this is veering way to much in the other direction. He's been beaten by Jawa's throwing pan's for fuck sake.

15 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I wouldn't expect the baby to grow up especially fast. If there is something inherently special about the species, there'll come a point in its life where Mr Shiny Helmet is completely pointless, and I'm not sure we'll see that anytime soon.

I see Baby Yoda and the whole species as a sort of extreme example of neoteny. Their long childhood's directly contributing to their intelligence, wisdom & force ability.

13 hours ago, Kalbear said:

The show continues to be gorgeous, and the show is incredibly dumb. Though my current favorite thing is the beautiful widow falling in love with the Mandalorian without seeing his face once. Pedro Pascal, you got it in spades man

Agree with the bolded part completely :) As to the specific example of the widow, she just has a thing for men in uniform :p 

1 hour ago, Toth said:

(so that's why I found the Mando drily answering the question when he last took off the helmet with 'Just yesterday' to be so amusing, it seems that this writer noticed how silly it had become and poked some fun at the idea of him never taken it off ever)

Definitely a highlight, as it was the only display of clever writing there :)

4 hours ago, red snow said:

I enjoyed the episode. Dallas Howard did a good job directing (has she done anything else before?) With several scenes thst felt like homages/evoked other films eg when they were waiting for the walker to come out of the forest and into the trap it went from being king kong to Jurassic Park T-rex. They also drew a lot out of babyYoda this episode there's a curious learning/judging vibe coming off him (is he a he?).

Does she need to? She's Ron Howard's daugher after all, no need to prove your credentials first elsewhere :p 

10 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

For example I didn't get the point of Gina Carino's character at all. Nice to have a badass female character and all that jazz, but why not scratch her and instead expand on the Widow's backstory. Let her lead the charge and answer some questions about her. Like how did she become such a crack shot? Where is she from and what is she doing in that remote shit hole village?

Put her more in the front and you get a to have your badass female character, but then with a more layered backstory and nuanced profile. Given her more screentime also allows you to build up that potential romantic entanglement with Mando, therefore making his choice to move on mean something instead being just a box-ticking exercise.

Good point. The entire time I was thinking that the widow being a Rebel Alliance operative having gone native would be a neat explanation for why she is so good at shooting things, so I was even more baffled why they bothered adding an actual Rebel operative for the sole purpose of having someone for the Mando to banter with while attacking the random orc army.

Btw, what is it with this show and having ugly alien baddies with zero motivation whatsoever? Like, what was the deal of that gang that owned baby Yoda before Mando and IG shot them up in the first episode? Why did they have a baby and were willing to kill numerous bounty hunters that came to get it? Like, if there were truly bad guys they could have sold it to the Imperial Remnant themselves... so... were those good guys protecting it? Yeah, good job then, Mando.

16 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I'm also really starting to wonder what is so special about Mandaloreans. Even with the beskar armor, our protagonists gets beaten every single episode, usually on more than occasion. Unless his power is extreme luck, I just don't get the in-universe hype for these guys. I know that it would be boring too if he was the unstoppable killing machine who can't be touched, but this is veering way to much in the other direction. He's been beaten by Jawa's throwing pan's for fuck sake.

Interestingly enough, my comparison to this Goblin Slayer nonsense actually helps me be fine with this. The Goblin Slayer is depicted as a stoic badass super proficient at what he is doing... and that is effortlessly slaughtering pitiful goblins that every respectable hero treats as mere nuisances not worth their time. And it apparently even shows the Goblin Slayer being completely out of his depth when doing anything else because he is like a max-level character who never left tutorial area in a video game.

Here the Mandalorian similarly may be the highest shot in that backwater cantina, but in the grand scheme of things he is nowhere near the level of a Jango Fett for example, he only got his armor out of the sheer dumb luck of getting this Imperial bounty for the kid. Remember that when the other Mandalorian pummelled him for working with Imperials he also got badly beaten up and ended with a knife at his throat, with the same Mandalorians later shown to own jetpacks and him reacting wistful at the idea, indicating that they all got a higher rank within his clan than him. He is just the bounty hunter dude among them and one they looked down to even.

So... I think that while the visuals and music do present him as badass and stoic, the writing pretty actively supports the fight choreographies in the idea that he is much more of a rookie than he let's on. I'm actually hopeful that they will openly adress him just overcompensating for his lack of skill by banking on the untouchable reputation of Mandalorians, something that could also explain him being silly about his helmet (hopefully retconning the silly behavior of his clan, or at least making it clear that he has a personal reason for embracing its eccentricities as much as he does).

Sooooo...that was something...I'm not sure what, other than a riff on Magnificent Seven, but with two...

Baby Yoda is still fun, but I'm starting to be bothered that he's robed essentially like Big Yoda the Jedi Master...

Still a gorgeous looking show, but there is seemingly no through line on what the story is.  Is it simply wandering from place to place to find a home for the kid?  Halfway through this season and there has been zero reasoning why.  What are the actual stakes?  Where is the meat to this tale?  Rebelsnwas a cartoon, but it had stakes. It had a through line for what it wanted to say...where is this one...?

Two random thoughts this morning that were probably asked a thousand times before:

First, what is it with Disney and hiring Game of Thrones actors for their Star Wars only to hide their faces under helmets? Surely next up is Maisie Williams playing a protocol droid...

Second... could the Mando be so obsessed with his helmet because he still has nightmares about how he would have fared significantly better with one when fighting the Mountain?

My thought is following on from a point I saw elsewhere - he described what happened to him as being taken in, which seems to open up the possibility he's not actually a Mandalorian? If the blacksmith knew this and was helping him keep it hidden, the helmet thing could actually be a misdirect and it's not actually a wider culture thing, and the reason he couldn't put it back on is people would realise he's not one.

14 minutes ago, karaddin said:

My thought is following on from a point I saw elsewhere - he described what happened to him as being taken in, which seems to open up the possibility he's not actually a Mandalorian?

My memory is a little hazy. But I think the term ”Mandalorian” referred more to a way of living than a species of people. I think they would even take in outsiders who could then refer to themselves as “Mandalorian” if the outsider accepted their ways.

Though I could just be thinking this because of old EU materials that are no longer canon. 

1 minute ago, A True Kaniggit said:

My memory is a little hazy. But I think the term ”Mandalorian” referred more to a way of living than a species of people. I think they would even take in outsiders who could then refer to themselves as “Mandalorian” if the outsider accepted their ways.

Though I could just be thinking this from old EU materials that are no longer canon. 

You are most definitely thinking about the old EU material because that's Karen Traviss' version: Act according to the a certain set of rules and you are automatically a Mandolorian.

That said, this show seems to be backtracking on that quite heavily. At least this whole talk about religious adherence to a strict code of conduct is very reminiscent of it. Since I'm happy to integrate the show into the old EU in my head and am even more happy about that working quite easily so far, I am of course totally fine with this.^^ Even though Traviss' set of rules seems more reasonable for the sole reason of them not being so weird about the helmet:

1. Wearing the armor.

2. Speaking the language.

3. Defending yourself and your family.

4. Raising your children as Mandalorians.

5. Contributing to the clan's welfare.

6. When called upon by the Mand'alor, rallying to his cause.

This show seems to invoke that quite a lot.

Come to think of it, now I want a vocal version of the The Mandalorian main theme with a Mando'a chorus. XD

Archived