The Mandalorian (Spoiler Thread)

Rhom

On 12/3/2019 at 12:50 PM, Rhom said:

Wikipedia says the name is Fennec Shand.  No idea what kind of role that will be.

Disposable, per ep 5.

Man, Mando sucks balls at being a dad. It is disappointing that tatooine doesnt have police willing to impound him for leaving his kid in the car in a closed room. Was he trying to bake baby Yoda? Thank goodness Amy Sedaris was there to save the day and give the baby some food with...uh...chokable bones. 

Much like rebels its remarkable how small the story seems to be. A tiny village, a small bar, a small group of bounty hunters, a couple of people per episode. It's another reason it feels like a video game or xena or something - cheap locations, few extras, few sets and location swaps. 

It's perfectly enjoyable, just like rebels is. But it's not much more than that. I'm very excited for expanse, I'm eagerly awaiting each ep of watchmen, but I won't be super sad when this stops showing. Its. Fine. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm surprised by all the hate. I found the first four episodes to be enjoyable. I guess that's what you get when you get between Star Wars fans and unrealistic expectations. 

Based on RT scores, it seems the haters are in the minority, and they're mostly here. :P

Why is it feeling like a 90s/2000s serial a bad thing again? I really liked Stargate back in the day, despite its obvious missed opportunities (and a garbage last season for Atlantis). So I took a lot of enjoyment out of all these episodes, including the 5th one.

7 hours ago, Toth said:

Why is it feeling like a 90s/2000s serial a bad thing again? I really liked Stargate back in the day, despite its obvious missed opportunities (and a garbage last season for Atlantis). So I took a lot of enjoyment out of all these episodes, including the 5th one.

It's fine! It is a bit surprising given the 15 mil an episode budget and 30 minute run time, but it's fine. I think with that budget people were expecting visual splendor to rival GoT or other prestigious things, and not be locked in the cheap requirements of syndicated fantasy shows from the 90s. 

I think I mostly like poking holes in the people who are exclaiming this to be the most amazing thing since the original trilogy and looking at all the deep amazing stuff that isn't there. 

The last episode was actually kind of okay. There still is some really dumb stuff in there (how is the bike charge into death a good idea again?), but it was much more restricted than previous episodes. Still not going to win any prizes for writing or anything like that but I'll take okay at this point.

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

The last episode was actually kind of okay. There still is some really dumb stuff in there (how is the bike charge into death a good idea again?), but it was much more restricted than previous episodes. Still not going to win any prizes for writing or anything like that but I'll take okay at this point.

They really didn't have another option, other than maybe build a sand castle as a fortified position. 

So this episode takes place on the same planet as the first and third, right? Mando goes back to find the guild and is told it moved on? And this episode revealed that Tatooine is that planet?

If the above is correct, very “small world” that the Mandolorians all ended up there. 

6 minutes ago, unJon said:

So this episode takes place on the same planet as the first and third, right? Mando goes back to find the guild and is told it moved on? And this episode revealed that Tatooine is that planet?

If the above is correct, very “small world” that the Mandolorians all ended up there. 

No, this is tattooine. The original planet is called like Verrano or something. 

Another problem with the small scale feel is that most everything feels the same. It feels like every ep aside from the forest one happened on tattooine, even if they didnt. 

Finally was able to watch it tonight, kept getting error code 83 which apparently means too many people are streaming it. I was able to start up another show but not this one so apparently it's pretty popular even at 1 and 2 am est.   

Another ok episode. Nothing to brag about as a SW fan but it was enjoyable enough. And again, when is this guy going to learn to lock a door? I mean seriously an "infant" can get out of the place you hide it? Then you let the repair lady carry the child out into the street so the other guy can see it?

Have they confirmed if the child is male/female yet? I keep having to delete "him" because I keep associating the child with Master Yoda.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Have they confirmed if the child is male/female yet? I keep having to delete "him" because I keep associating the child with Master Yoda. 

I had a similar thought recently. Everyone in the show refers to the baby as a him. I wouldn't put it past them to suprise us with an "it's a girl!" revelation, though I honestly don't know why it should do so aside it being a common cliché. Also at this point it would raise the question whether Mando never changed its diapers and saw for himself whether it's a Yoda or a Yaddle.^^

Then again, the Imperial Remnant doctor also referred to him as male and I'd think he should know best when it comes to its anatomy.

5 hours ago, Kalbear said:

No, this is tattooine. The original planet is called like Verrano or something. 

Another problem with the small scale feel is that most everything feels the same. It feels like every ep aside from the forest one happened on tattooine, even if they didnt. 

Thanks. Agree with you. My kids are loving the show, and I think it’s entertaining. And baby Yoda is pretty special. And that’s really it. It could be amazing, but it’s not, and I’m not sure it’s trying to be. 

11 hours ago, Toth said:

I had a similar thought recently. Everyone in the show refers to the baby as a him. I wouldn't put it past them to suprise us with an "it's a girl!" revelation, though I honestly don't know why it should do so aside it being a common cliché. Also at this point it would raise the question whether Mando never changed its diapers and saw for himself whether it's a Yoda or a Yaddle.^^

Then again, the Imperial Remnant doctor also referred to him as male and I'd think he should know best when it comes to its anatomy.

Ok, then I will go with him and he. It's 2019 and I didn't want to assume the gender identity of an imaginary alien child.

Thought the last two episodes were.. yeah ok. I think my original assumption as to how this show was going to play out were incorrect. Those first couple of episodes gave me the sense that this was the grown up, but not especially deep Star Wars tv show I'd been looking for! 

But those last 2 episodes make me think that more than likely this was aimed at kids, slightly older kids. I'm probably not the target market. Ep4 was so tired as a concept, the who Seven Samurai 'save a village' trope has been played so many times, you can only imagine that its children who wouldn't be bothered by it. 

Still I love a lot about it. Those end credit sequences are awesome.. they look like a Watchtower pamphlet! So 80's!

Archived