The Mandalorian (Spoiler Thread)

Rhom

8 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I think it's hard to say that George knew what he was doing with the Jedi during the making of the prequels. Afterwards, with the benefit of hindsight like everyone else he saw what his vision should have been, but there's just not enough support in the material for this vision to have been an intentional choice.

I'd really beg to differ on that, but I don't think this is the right thread to start a long debate on the PT and its content.

But boy, does this explain a lot. I never could quite figure out why the PT got that much hate. I wouldn't say the movies are amazing (though some moments definitely are), but the story always struck me as incredible. If much of the narrative is seen as "accidental" it explains a lot.

Edit: well I'll be damned, I read a few interviews, and it does seem that Lucas is competely oblivious of the problems with the Jedi way...

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-i-the-phantom-menace-oral-history

The thing about Anakin is, Anakin started out as a nice kid. He was kind, and sweet, and lovely, and he was then trained as a Jedi. But the Jedi can’t be selfish. They can love but they can’t love people to the point of possession. You can’t really possess somebody, because people are free. It’s possession that causes a lot of trouble, and that causes people to kill people, and causes people to be bad. Ultimately it has to do with being unwilling to give things up.

The whole basis here is if you’re selfish, if you’re a Sith Lord, you’re greedy. You’re constantly trying to get something. And you’re constantly in fear of not getting it, or, when you get it, you’re in constant fear of losing it. And it’s that fear that takes you to the dark side. It’s that fear of losing what you have or want.

Sometimes it’s ambition, but sometimes, like in the case of Anakin, it was fear of losing his wife. He knew she was going to die. He didn’t quite know how, so he was able to make a pact with a devil that if he could learn how to keep people from dying, he would help the Emperor. And he became a Sith Lord. Once he started saying, “Well, we could take over the galaxy, I could take over from the Emperor, I could have ultimate power,” Padmé saw right through him immediately. She said, “You’re not the person I married. You’re a greedy person.” So that’s ultimately how he fell and he went to the dark side.

And then Luke had the chance to do the same thing. He didn’t do it.

OTOH I found this article... Maybe David Houghton's is Kal?

https://www.gamesradar.com/star-wars-prequel-trilogy-george-lucas-perfect/

George Lucas nearly wrote a perfect Star Wars prequel trilogy – he just didn't notice

16 hours ago, RumHam said:

I still suspect this kinda thing is only canon till it gets in the way. 

That's true of all of Star Wars. They even fucked up Poe Dameron's backstory, which had been carefully built up in the "new canon" comics and novels and got trashed because Abrams had a great idea to make him a former criminal, which the Story Group are now trying to fit into his timeline.

The second they trashed the EU, they made it clear that 1) nothing is now canon at all going forwards (barely even the films, at this point) and 2) they will continue to lie and say stuff is canon because they know it makes it more likely fans will check it out.

• 1 month later...

I was confused as to why there was only one LEGO set out there for The Mandalorian (its the Imperial walker attack set).  Sure enough, there is now going to be a set for the Razor Crest.  (I'm not sure that I knew that was his ship's name... )  And yes... it includes a Baby Yoda.  :lol:

On 1/9/2020 at 4:43 PM, Darth Richard II said:

I feel bad for the story group. The comics have been mostly amazing, then the film just poops all over them.

Considering what you just told us about the current comic stories in the Literature thread... this did not age well.  :lol: 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Don't know about the casting (I'd hope she'd try and imitate the voice like the actors from the clone wars did ) but it's very cool that she's turning up in live action. Hopefully filloni is writing/directing those episodes

Only other suggestions I've heard that fans wanted (other than the original voice actor) was Jessica Alba.  I could see that, but I like Dawson for it.  Don't care about the voice since I've never watched any of the toons.

Archived