The Mandalorian (Spoiler Thread)

Rhom

21 hours ago, nah said:

Motherfucker is going on quests to upgrade his gear and ship while having misadventures along the way where he meets and kills a number of colorful characters.

Yeah, I'm imagining it.

I was also thinking that just after the first couple of episodes. The first 3 episodes are essentially the tutorial with the Mando rescue being the first big set piece. Now after ep4 we're out into the open world, running quests for random villagers and doing a world boss.

Also we finally had some female characters!

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

Also we finally had some female characters!

Now watch as the audience ratings plummet because it's suddenly social justice trash now. 

I hope he got his money back from that bartender who was supposed to be watching the baby!

So if Star Wars was basically The Hidden Fortress and this episode Seven Samurai I wonder if we'll get a Rashamon episode at some point. And maybe a Yojimbo one too. 

2 minutes ago, The Last Storm said:

Baby Yoda takes no part in the defense of the village. I was hoping for some force action.

Well, you don't wanna over do that. Or you get into a Stranger Things situation where the solution to every major problem is Eleven showing up to use her mind powers to save the day. 

16 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Well, you don't wanna over do that. Or you get into a Stranger Things situation where the solution to every major problem is Eleven showing up to use her mind powers to save the day. 

Yea I’m sure he will have his moments later on. Thought he would use force to make the mech fall into the trap.

9 hours ago, Rippounet said:

I'm pretty confident the show'll have plenty of humor centered around BabyYoda.
Because my money is that he has been playing with Mando for a while already. He's supposed to be 50 right? So I'm pretty sure they're shooting for an episode V reference as the audience realizes that the child-like being turns out to be super-wise on some level (his connection with the light side is super-intense after all). Although not as wise as a jedi master just yet of course, but super benevolent and continuously nagging Mando to do the right thing.

Lol nope he will just eat more frogs

9 hours ago, Rippounet said:

I'm just not sure how they'll do it. If I had to guess I'd say we (the audience) will progressively realize that BabyYoda is much smarter than he lets on and is manipulating Mando, people around him, and events. Mando won't be aware of it at first so there'll be some nice comedy moments.
And then, at a crucial point in the story, just as Mando is powerless, BabyYoda will... talk. Because of course he'll have learned that at some point (or he could talk from the very start for all we know). 

Ah, yes, much better to ape the main plot of boss baby

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

I did appreciate pillboi from The Good Place found his calling as brewing space kombucha

Haven’t watched the latest episode yet. Hope that reference isn’t from an earlier season. If it is I need to do a rewatch to refresh my memory. 

Go Jags! (Just for Pillboi)

So in my current Star Wars thing I binged all four episodes today. I kinda like it. It's dumb, but not 'openly insulting the intelligence of its viewers' kind of dumb like the Sequel Trilogy, but rather endearingly silly. Sure, the Mandalorian has no character to speak off except beleaguered 'badass' having to keep up with an adorable child, his weird tribe retcons the Mandalorians once again and there is not much plot to speak of, but hey, it actually feels like Star Wars for a change and also feels like it could be an EU story the same way Rogue One did. In fact my positive aspect noted is that it actually attempts to paint a picture of post-Episode 6 with Imperial Warlords, the fledging New Republic and a certain political uneasiness. Less how it has been treated so far after Disney's tabula rasa, but rather like the EU. That's a very Filoni move.

The episodes themselves have been fine so far, with the exception of episode 2. I just found the set-up of why he had to do this quest for the Jawas (who conveniently forgot he murdered some of them) to be extremely contrived and the resolution of two guys fixing a completely taken apart SPACE SHIP by hand in the middle of nowhere and have it run perfectly fine afterwards was quite immersion-breaking to me. Is his ship made of Lego? That's just not how it works.

And then of course there is the much discussed helmet issue. That's literally how a 10-years old thinks a badass has to operate. Never removing the helmet in the presence of others? He is literally just ripping off Goblin Slayer, really? The bland protagonist of that shitty Anime people were only morbidly curious about because of it starting with a graphical rape scene? That's the kind of juvenile attitude that they now want to attach to each and every Mandalorian? Despite Filoni himself showing in The Clone Wars that the even most die-hard extremist Mandalorians have no trouble talking without helmet? What the hell happened here?

So yes, I have issues like with many things, but so far I was still able to enjoy it for what it is.

49 minutes ago, Toth said:

I just found the set-up of why he had to do this quest for the Jawas (who conveniently forgot he murdered some of them) to be extremely contrived and the resolution of two guys fixing a completely taken apart SPACE SHIP by hand in the middle of nowhere and have it run perfectly fine afterwards was quite immersion-breaking to me. Is his ship made of Lego? That's just not how it works.

Yeah. They could have written it so he continued to refuse to pay for his own parts, but then they asked how he was gonna put it back together without their help. 

49 minutes ago, Toth said:

Despite Filoni himself showing in The Clone Wars that the even most die-hard extremist Mandalorians have no trouble talking without helmet? What the hell happened here?

Filoni knows that though. It's gotta be something they started after this "great purge" they mention. Like they didn't used to hide in weird dens either, but I think the idea is they've been hunted for years and their society totally decimated. 

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Haven’t watched the latest episode yet. Hope that reference isn’t from an earlier season. If it is I need to do a rewatch to refresh my memory. 

Go Jags! (Just for Pillboi)

Nah, this is from, like, last season where he stayed at the old folks home and worked as a caregiver, and was told to keep doing nice things. I kept going 'who the hell is that guy' and then I finally figured it out, and was really wanting some Good Place shenanigans to occur.

38 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Lol nope he will just eat more frogs

Anything against frog-eaters you have, uh?

38 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Ah, yes, much better to ape the main plot of boss baby

I find it difficult to believe that Disney would introduce a character who's potentially the most powerful user of the force out there just to keep him as a cute baby. Granted, it could take entire seasons for him to become more than that but the show has already proved the writers are not afraid to use a bit of deus ex machina to advance the plot. And perhaps I'm overthinking things but it seems to me that he can exhibit surprisingly mature behavior at times for an infant... Of course he acts like one most of the time, but part of it could be due to the detachment that comes with a deeper understanding of the force...
A bit of maths tells us Yoda started training jedi when he was around 100 years old so I'm pretty sure his species would get the ability to speak at around 50. He'd still be a kid of course, but his strong link to the force could make him perceive things very differently. And the prequels notwithstanding, jedi masters' trust in the force can easily be seen as aloofness from the outside. Not to mention the fact that Yoda was introduced in episode V as being rather playful... with a tendency to eat whatever he got his hands on. A playfulness that kinda disappeared from the prequels but was brought back in episode 8... In fact, if you forget about the prequels entirely you'd find it rather difficult to know for certain just how smart "BabyYoda" actually is.
The fact he tried to heal (and later save) Mando wasn't that much to think about, but to me it was really him calmly observing the fight between Mando and Cara while holding his cup that triggered a wait-a-second thought. This is a child, not a baby. Children can learn fast, and I'm pretty sure this one will.

Archived