The Mandalorian (Spoiler Thread)

Rhom

4 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

My memory is a little hazy. But I think the term ”Mandalorian” referred more to a way of living than a species of people. I think they would even take in outsiders who could then refer to themselves as “Mandalorian” if the outsider accepted their ways.

Though I could just be thinking this because of old EU materials that are no longer canon. 

The Sith are both a race and a “philosophy.”

8 hours ago, karaddin said:

My thought is following on from a point I saw elsewhere - he described what happened to him as being taken in, which seems to open up the possibility he's not actually a Mandalorian? If the blacksmith knew this and was helping him keep it hidden, the helmet thing could actually be a misdirect and it's not actually a wider culture thing, and the reason he couldn't put it back on is people would realise he's not one.

I had the thought before this all started that we'd find out that he isn't actually Mandalorian...that he's been taken in, or that he's fronting...something along the lines of playing with the old ideas that Boba Fett had stolen his armor and wasn't legit, just with a different person.

This latest episode lends credence to the theory that there is more to this particular bounty hunter. It just remains to be seen if they'll actually tell any story to tell us.  The story information on this show is glacier paced in coming...

They are definitely a race that came from a specific planet in the nucanon, but as with the Sith example that doesn't rule out the possibility of the concept being both. I feel like Death Watch as presented in TCW wouldn't have been open to outsiders claiming it, this might be depicting the changing of the idea from a race to a way of life though.

I mean, we know he wasn't born mandalorian. Hes a foundling. From what I gather the Mandalorians were killed off enough that they dont have much of a viable population, so they take kids in and apprentice them as junior murder hobos.

On 12/1/2019 at 3:28 AM, Toth said:

Btw, what is it with this show and having ugly alien baddies with zero motivation whatsoever?

Indeed. Bringing in an AT-ST to repeatedly raid a tiny fishing village in the middle of nowhere does seem kind of excessive.

It was another case of the production values being miles ahead of the writing, the AT-ST in the dark with the dull red battle lighting leaking out the eye holes looked absolutely amazing and way more threatening than they are in RotJ.

I know this might sound a bit weird but did anyone else get a bit of a Stargate SG1 vibe from this episode?.

Perhaps it was the peaceful,simple farming village being terrorised by aliens with better tech, I don’t know I just got that vibe from it.

3 minutes ago, Jen'ari said:

I know this might sound a bit weird but did anyone else get a bit of a Stargate SG1 vibe from this episode?.

Perhaps it was the peaceful,simple farming village being terrorised by aliens with better tech, I don’t know I just got that vibe from it.

It was those peaceful simple farming village uniforms they were wearing, straight out of Stargate or TNG. I dunno why in space everyone likes to wear the same clothes and colour scheme.

9 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I mean, we know he wasn't born mandalorian. Hes a foundling. From what I gather the Mandalorians were killed off enough that they dont have much of a viable population, so they take kids in and apprentice them as junior murder hobos.

I guess all the characters who look human are the same species in Star wars? eg they are like real humans but live in different countries as opposed to each planet evolving human-like species? If that's the case I guess "mandalorian" is ultimately a cultural trait instead of them being naturally badass. However if Mandalorians are a specific alien-race it does seem to be important that Mando is a foundling and not a mandalorian. I guess a compromise could be he is the same species but wasn't born on mandalor.

8 hours ago, felice said:

Indeed. Bringing in an AT-ST to repeatedly raid a tiny fishing village in the middle of nowhere does seem kind of excessive.

There was a weird dissonance seeing "orcs" running around with swords when they had an AT-ST. Their swords were magic or gunswords - just swords which was odd. 

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

I expected a hidden Imperial remnant garrison there in the woods that was sending the raiders out for supplies.  :dunno:  Didn’t happen.

Having them as "fodder" or cheap biological weapons would have made much more sense technology wise.

My wife and I are really enjoying the way the episodes are presented: each one with a very distinct beginning/middle/end, but with an overall presence that keeps them all together.  So far, no real gripes from me.  Mood, effects, and story telling are the best since Empire (giving it a slight nudge above R1 due to the unnecessary CGI and Vader cameo) 

I think part of it is that I'm also playing Jedi Fallen Order and am about 1/2 way through TCW season 3, so really loving Star Wars right now.

I think that the Mandalorian isn't a culture exactly, it's a nation. You can get naturalized into being a Mandalorian, or you can be born into it. It isn't a culture any more than being French is a culture. Mandalore has a culture that is distinct. It has a religion that is distinct. It is a government. 

This of course means that it is an unsubtle comment on the necessity of accepting refugees and immigrants and obviously a SJW cuckboi production, and a real Mandalorian would have built a giant wall around the planet instead. 

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I think that the Mandalorian isn't a culture exactly, it's a nation. You can get naturalized into being a Mandalorian, or you can be born into it. It isn't a culture any more than being French is a culture. Mandalore has a culture that is distinct. It has a religion that is distinct. It is a government. 

This of course means that it is an unsubtle comment on the necessity of accepting refugees and immigrants and obviously a SJW cuckboi production, and a real Mandalorian would have built a giant wall around the planet instead. 

That's what i was thinking expressed more clearly.

I wonder if there are any planets where they seal themselves away? I guess if the emperor has been hiding in the uncharted zone it's sort of the same as a wall.

2 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I'd like to see where all these Foundlings they keep mentioning are. Were they just offscreen before, or at some other holdout?

They were offscreen laughing, just to the left of the camera

I am still enjoying the show and not trying to look for a deep well written show, just enjoying the look and feel of it. Silly as and obvious as it was I loved the scene on the ship when the baby Yoda was touching stuff... don't touch that...slowly reaches out and touches it...    

Best thing I can say about baby Yoda is that he is getting my daughter to watch this, she has never seen a single Star Wars related film so this is a big step for me! Her bf is into Marvel and has gotten her to watch some of those movies so I think I can get her to start at the prequel trilogy soon! 

On 11/30/2019 at 8:56 AM, Veltigar said:

Another episode, same story. The visuals continue to impress me and I'm a sucker for Baby Yoda, but the writing for this episode was really dumb as usual. Despite the short runtime, they keep on finding ways to unnecessarily waste screentime.

For example I didn't get the point of Gina Carino's character at all. Nice to have a badass female character and all that jazz, but why not scratch her and instead expand on the Widow's backstory. Let her lead the charge and answer some questions about her. Like how did she become such a crack shot? Where is she from and what is she doing in that remote shit hole village?

Put her more in the front and you get a to have your badass female character, but then with a more layered backstory and nuanced profile. Given her more screentime also allows you to build up that potential romantic entanglement with Mando, therefore making his choice to move on mean something instead being just a box-ticking exercise.

I want to imagine that Gina Carinos character was built up because she will reappear in the show and potentially join his "gang" His ship has two more seats behind him and I assume they are shown to us for a reason. Maybe I am looking too much into that though.

7 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Surely a true Mando would conquer the galaxy rather than building a wall? Arguing for a wall isn't just a cuckboi move, it turns all the men that support it into the same!

Archived