Raksura Series by Martha Wells

Gigei

I hope some people have read this so we can discuss it!

I have read the three main books:

• The Cloud Roads
  • The Serpent Sea
  • The Siren Depths

The other books are: 

• The Edge of Worlds
  • The Harbors of the Sun

Plus some collected short stories.

Author's webpage for the series - https://www.marthawells.com/compendium/

I greatly enjoyed the series which I think is quite interesting since it features winged shapeshifters in a fantasy world full of many different humanoid species. Moon is a great main character. He's kickass but also vulnerable. I find myself sympathizing with him a lot.

Great world-building, too. I enjoyed the descriptions of the Raksura habitats. :)

Summary of the first book: Moon has spent his life hiding what he is — a shape-shifter able to transform himself into a winged creature of flight. An orphan with only vague memories of his own kind, Moon tries to fit in among the tribes of his river valley, with mixed success. Just as Moon is once again cast out by his adopted tribe, he discovers a shape-shifter like himself... someone who seems to know exactly what he is, who promises that Moon will be welcomed into his community. What this stranger doesn't tell Moon is that his presence will tip the balance of power... that his extraordinary lineage is crucial to the colony's survival... and that his people face extinction at the hands of the dreaded Fell! Now Moon must overcome a lifetime of conditioning in order to save himself... and his newfound kin.

By the way, it has a TV Tropes page.

Has anyone else read this series?

• 1 month later...

I've read the first three, which I purchased as a bundled buy.  I though they were very good, which is pretty much par for the course for Martha Wells (definitely check out her other works).  

I've net yet bought the last two books since for some reason they're very expensive (£9.49 and £7.12 respectively).  I'm just hoping Amazon hasn't figured out I'm actually in Australia after buying some Amazon.com.au items for christmas delivery.....

If you like Martha Wells, she has a very good standalone fantasy book: Wheel of the Infinite. Bonus point: the main character is an older (I reckon around late 40s) female in an Asian-inspired fantasy world.

There's nothing like it that I have read. If you do know a series that is similar to either the Raksura books or Wheel of the Infinite then please do let me know.

On 12/23/2019 at 6:59 PM, Gigei said:

If you like Martha Wells, she has a very good standalone fantasy book: Wheel of the Infinite. Bonus point: the main character is an older (I reckon around late 40s) female in an Asian-inspired fantasy world.

There's nothing like it that I have read. If you do know a series that is similar to either the Raksura books or Wheel of the Infinite then please do let me know.

She has a number of stand alone books which are fantastic. 

On 12/28/2019 at 8:21 AM, Gigei said:

Martha Wells books?

Yeah, Cloud Roads - it was fun :) You might enjoy Seanan McGuire's InCryptid series, which deals with a variety of different non-human species, though it's set on present day Earth rather than a fantasy world.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2019 at 6:08 PM, felice said:

Yeah, Cloud Roads - it was fun :) You might enjoy Seanan McGuire's InCryptid series, which deals with a variety of different non-human species, though it's set on present day Earth rather than a fantasy world.

I'll have to check that out very soon. :D

Archived