Authors Behaving Like A**holes

Myshkin

Jemisin May also get a “pass”, which I don’t think is actually happening either, but i digress, because of the insanely huge amounts of abuse she had endured from the SFF community both online and in real life. I remember Vox Day had something about how her “species” was “inferior” to his because of some DNA bullshit I’m sure he read on storefront. If you’ve seen even 1/10 of what she’s endured you can understand why she’s very touchy and defensively when stuff like this happens.

22 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Jemisin May also get a “pass”, which I don’t think is actually happening either, but i digress, because of ter Vox Day had he insanely huge amounts of abuse she had endured from the SFF community both online and in real life. I remembsomething about how her “species” was “inferior” to his because of some DNA bullshit I’m sure he read on storefront. If you’ve seen even 1/10 of what she’s endured you can understand why she’s very touchy and defensively when stuff like this happens.

You certainly are correct about that.

Beyond this though, the pile-up in which she participated and added her weight to had nothing to do with color of skin and with sexism -- which was what vox and his posse of hearties banged and whinged on about her -- or with a bigotry toward Muslims, etc.  It was about a student (who had at this point since graduated) from a small obscure school, who had the temerity to speak publicly (and quoted out of context) that YA fiction wasn't appropriate for a college-level school-wide read.

IOW, for what she'd not getting a pass, is doing herself what she's called out in public other writers and members of fannish communities for doing.

Or it could be described as shooting off her mouth / fingers without knowing wot in hell she was shooting off about.

• 3 weeks later...

A small resurrection.

So about two weeks ago I read one of the other books this student suggested in place of Sarah Dessen’s novel; Edwidge Danticat’s Breath, Eyes, Memory. And guess who the protagonist of that astonishing novel is? A teenage girl.

But Edie's book isn't YA.  Not published that way, and not marketed that way, and not winning awards there. And published in 1994, long before this kind of thing happened.  Hell, before cell phones just about, and hardly anybody was online yet either.

15 hours ago, Myshkin said:

A small resurrection.

So about two weeks ago I read one of the other books this student suggested in place of Sarah Dessen’s novel; Edwidge Danticat’s Breath, Eyes, Memory. And guess who the protagonist of that astonishing novel is? A teenage girl.

let me introduce to you GRRM's ASOIAF, where mayor characters are teenagers and kids.

13 hours ago, Lady Winter Rose said:

let me introduce to you GRRM's ASOIAF, where mayor characters are teenagers and kids.

marketed to the sf/f crowd which is pretty much by def ya, and always has been. ya? ha!

Danticat's work isn't that.  The difference is pretty easy to see when reading them side by side, ya? 

Even more to the point is Edie's book was published way back in 1994 -- long before YA became The Thing in genre publishing.  The first Harry Potter wasn't published until 1997.  Nor was that published within the sf/f genre community.  But right after that, the sf/f community began galloping there, and never so much as after the Hunger Games.  And then the wars began -- within sf/f community.

Which this young woman, trashed by the YA sf/f community, wasn't  part of and couldn't by any means be.

And, you know, you all should trust me, that when Romeo and Juliet was performed in Shakespeare's day there was no YA category of anything.  :laugh:

OR WAIT -- do you all think that all it takes for something to be YA is to have protags who are under 19 or something?  Holy cow!

The point being not that Danticat’s novel is YA, but that the student, after being accused of silencing women’s voices and disregarding the stories of teenage girls, turned out to in fact be championing the story of a teenage girl written by a woman. I would have thought that was obvious, but apparently not.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

marketed to the sf/f crowd which is pretty much by def ya, and always has been. ya? ha!

Zorral, you're being obnoxious for no good reasons. I didn't say ASOIAF is young adult, just that genre of both young adult and regular fantasy isn't defined by character's age.

On 12/12/2019 at 4:12 AM, Zorral said:

I still encounter disdain towards regular fantasy, so it was really mind-blowing you went all this stupid talk just because I mention characters age in Martin's work. Which clearly aren't young adult, so it's obvious it's not character age that define the genre.

10 hours ago, Lady Winter Rose said:

I still encounter disdain towards regular fantasy, so it was really mind-blowing you went all this stupid talk just because I mention characters age in Martin's work. Which clearly aren't young adult, so it's obvious it's not character age that define the genre.

This isn't making sense, considering the viewpoint characters.

However, as with Edie's work -- how much of it have you and the others here read? it's very different from YA, and really different from sf/ f YA -- when it comes to other aspects than age of viewpoint, particularly theme -- her major theme is cultural difference and evolution.

17 minutes ago, Zorral said:

However, as with Edie's work -- how much of it have you and the others here read? it's very different from YA, and really different from sf/ f YA -- when it comes to other aspects than age of viewpoint, particularly theme -- her major theme is cultural difference and evolution.

Once again, and please pay attention this time, I was not in any way suggesting that Breath, Eyes, Memory is a YA novel. You see, I’ve read that novel, and so am well aware that it is not a YA novel. The point I was making, and here I will repeat myself, is that the student who was attacked for disregarding the stories of teenage girls, was in fact championing Breath, Eyes, Memory, which very much is the story of a teenage girl. 

44 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Once again, and please pay attention this time, I was not in any way suggesting that Breath, Eyes, Memory is a YA novel. You see, I’ve read that novel, and so am well aware that it is not a YA novel. The point I was making, and here I will repeat myself, is that the student who was attacked for disregarding the stories of teenage girls, was in fact championing Breath, Eyes, Memory, which very much is the story of a teenage girl. 

If that's your point, then what's the justification of the hate pile on the student who believed this book was more valuable as a campus read?  Actually, what is your point in criticizing her?

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

If that's your point, then what's the justification of the hate pile on the student who believed this book was more valuable as a campus read?  Actually, what is your point in criticizing her?

I am not criticizing her, nor attempting to justify the hate pile on. In fact, that is the exact opposite of my point. My point being to further criticize the authors who jumped on the hate wagon for their reactionary and disingenuous arguments by pointing out that, when considering that she championed Breath, Eyes, Memory, this student was decidedly not trying to silence female voices or disregard the stories of teenage girls. I’ve gone back through my previous posts to see where I may have been unclear, but must admit that I’m still at a loss as to how you could have so misinterpreted what was said as to come to the conclusion that I was criticizing the student.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

What the fuck are you talking about?

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Did you actually read the topic? Like, at all? You've come in swaggering and waving your dick about over how superior you are to the rest of the board here but your responses make no sense at all. Who the fuck was justifying the pile-on?

12 hours ago, polishgenius said:

What the fuck are you talking about?

Did you actually read the topic? Like, at all? You've come in swaggering and waving your dick about over how superior you are to the rest of the board here but your responses make no sense at all. Who the fuck was justifying the pile-on?

I mean does this even surprise you with Zorral any more?

Archived