Authors Behaving Like A**holes

Myshkin

On 12/14/2019 at 2:59 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

I mean does this even surprise you with Zorral any more?

6/10 trolling effort by Zorral. Really only that high because so many in this thread continued to feed it way after it should have been obvious. 

This piece went up about a week ago -- anyone posting in this subject see it?

"BOOKS
The Decade in Young Adult Fiction
As a publishing phenomenon, YA literature entered the decade like a lion. Now it seems to be eating itself alive"

https://slate.com/culture/2019/12/decade-in-young-adult-fiction.html

The article traces the history of the rise and fall of YA fiction, accounting for the rise, and then the fall (successes and sales have drastically fallen in the last year).

The impulse that led to these and other worthy enterprises, however, is vulnerable to being twisted to less salutary ends on platforms that foster cliques, vendettas, and self-righteous posturing. In the past two years, online networks of YA authors and readers—mostly female adults—have been convulsed with assorted scandals and controversies that have left many outside observers with the impression that “YA Twitter” is hopelessly “toxic.” Bloggers and Twitter pundits pilloried 2017’s The Black Witch, a debut young-adult fantasy novel by Laurie Forest, for its purported “racism.” That criticism proved unconvincing—even to teen readers, who made the book a success and reviewed it enthusiastically on Amazon—but few of those weighing in on the controversy bothered to point out instead how listlessly predictable The Black Witch is, with the usual high-born heroine confronting an unjust world while embroiled in the usual bad boy/good boy love triangle. It didn’t quite seem worthy of the energy adult readers devoted to fighting over it.

Yes, but there's this:

https://bookriot.com/2019/12/18/2010s-in-ya/

But in no way, as Laura Miller ignorantly asserts on Slate, is the category eating itself. Sure, traffic-generating hit pieces when read by an outsider to the world of YA would see that social media, and namely Twitter, have played a huge role in how YA is discussed. Books have been pulled from publication. Controversies emerged. Authors canceled. Drama and melodrama infiltrated headlines under the guise of YA “news.”

The last ten years of YA literature have not seen a dimming of its glow. Rather, the last decade has seen a category created and built by (primarily white) women forced to build a longer table and pull up chairs for other traditionally marginalized voices. The YA world has, piece by piece, been working to dismantle white supremacy and ever-present male privilege, making space for voices that have been quieted for far too long.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Looking into above further: Holy shit. 

Probably need a whole thread for this one. Buuuut I’m going to bed.

Just had a look into it too, and yikes. That...is deeply disappointing. 

To anyone else reading, without going into too many details, Morgan has some pretty backwards views about trans people, views that are sadly common in the UK, and isn't hesitant in publishing those views.

Yeah I think this may be better off in general but I can’t sleep. And yes reading his most recent blog entry was...upsetting. To put it mildly. His response to anyone trying to have discourse about it had also been, hmmm, let’s say I am unfortunately getting Dan Simmons flashbacks.

his refusal to admit he may have been even a tinny bit wrong also gives bad vibes. I guess also Vandermeer called him out on it before the thread got locked down.

Reading his blog post, he's doing that whole thing where he claims to accept the human rights of trans people but then uses a whole slew of extreme examples of people abusing the culture shift- which do need to be considered and dealt with, but are extreme and non-representative examples- to justify dismissing the entire conversation and culture shift.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

Reading his blog post, he's doing that whole thing where he claims to accept the human rights of trans people but then uses a whole slew of extreme examples of people abusing the culture shift- which do need to be considered and dealt with, but are extreme and non-representative examples- to justify dismissing the entire conversation and culture shift.

He also does the thing where transphobes say that binary sexes/genders are just basic science, ignoring the vast swathes of considerably more advanced science that entirely trashes this concept. Almost as if the subject was significantly more complex than laymans' simplifications suggest.

The thing that gets me, as well as everything mentioned above, is he pretty much did the I’m right and you can’t prove me wrong so I won’t even discus it thing, not to mention having a fit over being called a TERF. Like when white people get called crackers and compare it to the n word. 

And I know this is anecdotal and all, but I know a lot of people in the trans community in real life due to living in a city with a large support center, and I believe he has transgender friends like I believe Trump has that one black friend:

Ha, so, full disclosure, I have not read this article yet and have no idea what’s going on, but I open CNN and this is one if the first things I see

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/us/romance-writers-association-rita-awards-novel-scandal-trnd/index.html

edit: name I did not expect to see mentioned: Chuck Tingle

5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ha, so, full disclosure, I have not read this article yet and have no idea what’s going on, but I open CNN and this is one if the first things I see

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/us/romance-writers-association-rita-awards-novel-scandal-trnd/index.html

edit: name I did not expect to see mentioned: Chuck Tingle

The catalyst for it has been blowing up sonce just before xmas

If you’re a lover of romance novels then the chances are that the past few weeks of your life have been consumed by the unfolding drama and subsequent implosion of the Romance Writers of America. In the space of less than a month, the RWA, arguably the most prominent group in the romance industry, has completely and utterly destroyed its own reputation, leading to multiple resignations at the highest level, a strange coup for power by one man, and the formation of a new professional organization for writers in the genre.

It’s now reached the mainstream media, with coverage on sites like The Guardian and The AV Club, and it’s hard to avoid how snide so much of that reporting is. Sadly, this is nothing new for romance, but given the magnitude of what’s happening and the insidious implications involved, I felt it was only fair to give this story the respect it deserves. This isn’t just about romance novels — this is about the future of literature as a whole.

https://www.pajiba.com/miscellaneous/a-timeline-and-explanation-of-the-romance-writers-of-america-controversy.php

I've been waiting for this to hit the board, particularly for how it would be introduced for discussion. Anyways, it's a mess but also representative of what's going on in the world, not just in writing/book stuff.

22 hours ago, kairparavel said:

What % of authors are actually big ol’ a**holes?

What % of the population are actually big ol’ a**holes?

Kill your heroes.

Aw man, this thread. First I find out Jemisin can be a bit of a dick. Then that Rowling and Graham Linehan are potential terfs. What the hell.

Archived