Authors Behaving Like A**holes

Myshkin

On 12/23/2019 at 12:02 PM, kairparavel said:

An interesting read, but completely blinkered and buying-its-own-bullshit, particularly in ignoring the prominent YA toxicity scandals from the past couple years (Zhao/Blood Heir, the Kosovo Jackson oopsie, various other eye rollers). Denying the gang-bullying and abject stupidity of the performative outrage merchants & sociopaths worming through YA (and other woke communities) just makes these issues worse.

Reading the Stephen King tweet, it's obvious he was trying the ol' "quality is quality, regardless of who's writing it", and it quickly became catnip clickbait to the usual hot-take scramblers. "As a fan, this is painful to read from you. It implies that diversity and quality cannot be synonymous," Gay tweeted.  -- typical twitter-twerk circa. 2020.

Well I’m probably sticking my foot in my mouth and letting my privilege show etc, but, uh, why in the hell would diversity quality be synonymous ever? That doesn’t make sense.

Also was that Roxanne Gay tweeting that? She’s already on my personal will not buy cause asshole list, so no loss there.

11 hours ago, Conflicting Thought said:

There is no potential with rowling, she is, in fact, a terf. 

Plausible deniability.  She just follows terfs on Twitter and likes posts by terfs and supports a terf called out by a judge for her horrible opinions ... yeah actually, you’re right she is a terf.

8 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Also lets be honest, calling Morgan any kind of feminist is stretching it quite a bit.

Yeah I know the terms get conflated quite a bit, but I think that Morgan is less a terf and more just a standard-issue transphobe. Although in most cases I guess that's a distinction without a difference.

Well with the Morgan fiasco being introduced here, and a wider discussion being had, I’m gonna change the thread name.

As for Mr. Morgan and his assholishness, can’t say that I’m surprised. I’ve had a few interactions with him on this board, and he’s always come across to me as a full-of-himself prick. I haven’t read the Kovacs novels, but after reading The Steel Remains several years ago, it seemed fairly clear that his thoughts on sexuality and gender were shallow at best.

On 1/15/2020 at 5:34 AM, Conflicting Thought said:

There is no potential with rowling, she is, in fact, a terf. 

There's even less potential with Linehan, he's a fucking looney tune on the subject.

On Morgan being a terf and notjust a transphobe- he crosses over that line when he starts talking about how the only reason he's so concerned about this is to protect women.

On 1/15/2020 at 4:29 AM, kuenjato said:

Reading the Stephen King tweet, it's obvious he was trying the ol' "quality is quality, regardless of who's writing it", and it quickly became catnip clickbait to the usual hot-take scramblers. "As a fan, this is painful to read from you. It implies that diversity and quality cannot be synonymous," Gay tweeted.  -- typical twitter-twerk circa. 2020.

Na fuck that. 'Quality is quality regardless of who's writing it' can be an oppressive statement as easily as a supportive one depending on the context and the context here was that he was defending the Oscars for having a significant lack of diversity in the nominations again. He deserved to be called out on it.

On 1/14/2020 at 6:32 AM, kairparavel said:

https://www.pajiba.com/miscellaneous/a-timeline-and-explanation-of-the-romance-writers-of-america-controversy.php

I've been waiting for this to hit the board, particularly for how it would be introduced for discussion. Anyways, it's a mess but also representative of what's going on in the world, not just in writing/book stuff.

I almost started a separate thread on this, and even started typing out the facts and links and then, well, it was getting REALLY LONG, and then I went down a Wikipedia and then twitter rabbithole, and when I pulled myself back out, I'd somehow ended up watching cat videos (but learned way more about RWA than I ever thought I would) and bought a new Courtney Milan novel.  

But yeah, the whole thing is a total mess.  Think the whole edifice will come down.  But also, Chuck Tingle is a God.

Archived