Authors Behaving Like A**holes

Myshkin

2 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I almost started a separate thread on this, and even started typing out the facts and links and then, well, it was getting REALLY LONG, and then I went down a Wikipedia and then twitter rabbithole, and when I pulled myself back out, I'd somehow ended up watching cat videos (but learned way more about RWA than I ever thought I would) and bought a new Courtney Milan novel.  

But yeah, the whole thing is a total mess.  Think the whole edifice will come down.  But also, Chuck Tingle is a God.

I went down this rabbit hole a few days ago too. I've never read a romance novel (unless certain Sharon Kay Penman works count) but the story fascinated me.

One thing that I think gets overlooked here is that Milan didn't randomly pick a fight over some shitty 20 year old novel. There were like a dozen steps to this scandal before she even got involved, and I'm pretty sure it started with the then-RWA President announcing that she'd blocked on Twitter an acquisitions editor with a flamingly bigoted social media footprint. Yet the Chinese author is the one who gets the formal complaint etc.

Anyway, I thought this was a good write-up of the RWA self-immolation.

https://jezebel.com/inside-the-spectacular-implosion-at-the-romance-writers-1841002358

5 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

the pile on in the OP on Twitter,

The pile on in the ... original person? on Twitter? 

(I don't know what OP means, and I've tried looking online and gotten different definitions. Halps?)

1 minute ago, larrytheimp said:
1 minute ago, Darth Richard II said:

Opening post, I think 

That works too

Thank you. And sorry. And thank you. 

I don't keep up with slang as well as I used to, and never know if what I've found online is accurate or not, and thus find myself having to inquire from others. 

5 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Thank you. And sorry. And thank you. 

I don't keep up with slang as well as I used to, and never know if what I've found online is accurate or not, and thus find myself having to inquire from others. 

Oh, me either, not even sure if that's the right slang or just how I ended up using it here.  In the past two months here I've been told it's not ok to quote posts and then just yesterday that it's not ok to snip a quote down to just the part you want to talk about, so by all means, ask for clarification.  

I use OP for a bunch of shit that doesn't really make sense, now that I think about it 

5 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

In the past two months here I've been told it's not ok to quote posts and then just yesterday that it's not ok to snip a quote down to just the part you want to talk about, so by all means, ask for clarification.  

You have my permission to do both these things. Honestly, if you quote a whole giant post just to respond to one small portion of it I will be mad at you. Don’t be that dick who makes me do extra scrolling. Be you. I like you. 

9 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

In the past two months here I've been told it's not ok to quote posts and then just yesterday that it's not ok to snip a quote down to just the part you want to talk about,

Well that's just not nice at all. "Don't engage in meaningful conversations with people! Don't try to seek clarification because we all know the internet can't be trusted but don't want to acknowledge that dirty fact! But no, we can't give you a primer where all the rules are laid out because we expect you to have your ear to the ground!" 

Crappy logic like that is why we can't have nice things.

2 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

You have my permission to do both these things. Honestly, if you quote a whole giant post just to respond to one small portion of it I will be mad at you. Don’t be that dick who makes me do extra scrolling. Be you. I like you. 

I believe that is the actual policy. Not quoting posts at all is untenable and the one who was complaining about excerpts from posts ("hacking?") is a prat.

2 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Well that's just not nice at all. "Don't engage in meaningful conversations with people! Don't try to seek clarification because we all know the internet can't be trusted but don't want to acknowledge that dirty fact! But no, we can't give you a primer where all the rules are laid out because we expect you to have your ear to the ground!" 

Crappy logic like that is why we can't have nice things.

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

I believe that is the actual policy. Not quoting posts at all is untenable and the one who was complaining about excerpts from posts ("hacking?") is a prat.

3 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Sorry for the weird formatting.  Will consult the three of you when I finalize the Board Style Guide this fall.  Depending on your contributions may be able to cut you each in for up to .5% of net revenue after @Ran takes his portion.  Going to drop it in cunieform this summer and maybe ebook and harcooy if it takes off 

4 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

the one who was complaining about excerpts from posts ("hacking?") is a prat.

You're wonderful. Thank you. 

While I get and respect the whole 'emotional labour' aspect, I also want to acknowledge that people have credentials and went out of their way to learn things. And that Googling Things will never compete with asking a professional in the field in which you're trying to learn or understand something.

If this continues I’m gonna have to change the thread title again, this time to Boarders Behaving Like Courteous Individuals. I don’t wanna have to do that, so back to discussing Morgan and the RWA and other assholes please.

25 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

The RWA didn't lock in this domain and the test for potential board members is pretty great. As is the whole site really. 

https://www.romancewritersofamerica.com/

The real site is RWA.org

That site has a strong Tingly vibe...

This reminds me of the time around 15 years ago when a much-loathed CEO left the company to start his own company, and a co-worker bought the domain failupwards.com and redirected it to the former CEO's new company.

14 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I went down this rabbit hole a few days ago too. I've never read a romance novel (unless certain Sharon Kay Penman works count) but the story fascinated me.

One thing that I think gets overlooked here is that Milan didn't randomly pick a fight over some shitty 20 year old novel. There were like a dozen steps to this scandal before she even got involved, and I'm pretty sure it started with the then-RWA President announcing that she'd blocked on Twitter an acquisitions editor with a flamingly bigoted social media footprint. Yet the Chinese author is the one who gets the formal complaint etc.

Anyway, I thought this was a good write-up of the RWA self-immolation.

https://jezebel.com/inside-the-spectacular-implosion-at-the-romance-writers-1841002358

Thanks!  Great write-up.  The history of the organization and the whole thing is really, really interesting.  I think the other thing that people are overlooking here is that Milan herself is a formidable force.  She has a chemistry degree.  She was a Supreme Court Clerk for not one, but TWO (conservative!) Judges, FFS.  She's also one of the people that called out Judge Kozinski (formerly a liberal darling of the 9th circuit, who had a bad habit of harassing his female clerks, including Milan).  I started reading her novels a long time ago because they are well-written (duh) and I liked the legal angle, and so sort of have been following her for a while.  

On 1/17/2020 at 12:04 PM, Myshkin said:

If this continues I’m gonna have to change the thread title again, this time to Boarders Behaving Like Courteous Individuals.

Westeros Boarders: setting a behavioural example for the rest of the intarwebz! 

Archived