Authors Behaving Like A**holes

Myshkin

11 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Of course I write that before I saw your post. Someone I’m charge of that party is definitely an asshole.

I ended up stumbling across the author's post about it and that was not great either. Sigh.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

This perhaps is the real problem with what considered problematical works? The the writers generally just aren't very good at the job?

Myriam Gurba explains the problem at great and detailed length here. It's a good amount of contextualisation for those who would like to better understand the noise surrounding this book.

In other words again, this is yet another author who thought she was doing in depth research by dropping in here and there and writing something.

For yet another example of how to do it right, see Lily Keber's Buckjumping documentary.

http://www.lilykeber.com/buckjumping

I was at a screening here for her film.  In the Q&A after, the first question was, "How did you get access?"  Which left my jaw dropping.  Because, it was clear, within the film itself, that Lily knew the people, the communities, everything about what she was filming.  That funeral she filmed? She was invited in to do so by the bereaved because they'd known her for so long, being WITH them.  She didn't just drop in.  She lived / lives there.  And yah, Lily's white.

It is most certainly possible to do it right, white or not.  But so many don't.  It takes real time, real care, real love, real knowledge, which ya, starts with TIME.  You can't just show up and interview. That never ever works.

Oh you want to see a bad, by which i mean jesus crhsit how can something this terrible and stupid exist, example of authors thinking they are doing research, I.E. they watched some anime and read the wiki for Japan, see Jay Kristoff or, I forget the name of the author at the moment, but hwoever wrote The Tiger's Daughter.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Speaking on this subject, if you want to hate Richard K Morgan EVEN NORE you can go check out the comments on his blog post where he gets into an argument with a trans person and somehow becomes even worse of a person.

I expected him to be a rude asshole, but he and Alex are having a civil discussion, near as I can tell.

35 minutes ago, Ran said:

I expected him to be a rude asshole, but he and Alex are having a civil discussion, near as I can tell.

Maybe some stuff got deleted? Or I read the wrong replies, I dunno. I will look at it again when more awake.

edit: it also may have continued and turned civil. He had a line about choice that really irked me though.

51 minutes ago, Ran said:

He's gone icky, full-blown angry terf. It's not a pleasant sight. As a result he's been booted off Twitter. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

he doesn't appear to be trying to be an asshole

He's doing a very bad job of it. 

Defending J.K. Rowling's terfiness is also doing him no favours. And claiming that "terf is an insult". 

*facepalm*

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Anyone can have a 'civil' discussion about literally anything and from any particular viewpoint.  That does not make the ideology acceptable.  Ranting and raving can be a distraction but are not the actual problem.

39 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

Anyone can have a 'civil' discussion about literally anything and from any particular viewpoint.  That does not make the ideology acceptable.  Ranting and raving can be a distraction but are not the actual problem.

I think his having a civil discussion with a trans-man on his own blog, in his own space, deserves no opprobium even if one believes that he is in the wrong. Where, exactly, is it “acceptable” to state a belief system that is, to many, in the wrong, if not at least in one’s personal site? It’s one thing if he was encouraging violence and hatred, but largely he states he supports the rights of transgender men and women to live as they wish, within the constraints of the rights of others to live as they wish (Morgan is pretty much a libertarian here).

How exactly is he expected to engage with other points of view and perhaps change his mind if we say that any time he engages in a discussion he’s just an awful person who deserves our hate because he is presently in the wrong?

I really don’t get it. People have the right to have wrong opinions, to express them, to discuss them, to change their minds or not. I think we should applaud those who are willing to talk and intellectually engage with others if they are honest actors and show civility in their discourse. Better that than endless, hate-filled trolls polluting any chance at reasonable discourse.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I don't understand? He was having the term thrown at him. 

To describe him, yes. Much like we use the word "homophobe" to describe Orson Scott Card. 

Both are accurate descriptors. 

Well when he was still on Twitter, his response to anyone trying to argue with him, civil or not, was to say that no I’m right shut up then call them a cunt.

as for the blog, I’m not caught up on the comments. But I find the actual contents of the blog beyond disgusting. And to play there’ll I have a trans friend card, I have several and they are all throughly disgusted and disturbed by it as well.

of course, should he have been banned from Twitter? Without seeing the exact tweet in question I can’t say but I doubt it’s worse then shit I see in there daily.

akso he said TERF was a slur, not an insult. The terminology there raised some red flags.

Archived