Authors Behaving Like A**holes

Myshkin

17 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Reminds me of the Vox Day SFWA bullshit 

It is exactly this.  If you go down the rabbithole I went down that ended (more pleasantly) somehow in cat-videos (frankly most of my time on the internet ends with cats, or maybe Cats these days*), you will find that there are deep similarities and connections to depressed baby canines.

*Which is why the internet isn't entirely a mistake.

2 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Well with the Morgan fiasco being introduced here, and a wider discussion being had, I’m gonna change the thread name.

As for Mr. Morgan and his assholishness, can’t say that I’m surprised. I’ve had a few interactions with him on this board, and he’s always come across to me as a full-of-himself prick. I haven’t read the Kovacs novels, but after reading The Steel Remains several years ago, it seemed fairly clear that his thoughts on sexuality and gender were shallow at best.

I mostly remember him being mad he didn’t win the Nobel peace prize for daring to put a gay character in a fantasy novel in like 2008 or whenever. So...yeah.

Just now, Mlle. Zabzie said:

It is exactly this.  If you go down the rabbithole I went down that ended (more pleasantly) somehow in cat-videos (frankly most of my time on the internet ends with cats, or maybe Cats these days*), you will find that there are deep similarities and connections to depressed baby canines.

*Which is why the internet isn't entirely a mistake.

Do love me some cats and cat videos.

2 hours ago, Myshkin said:

I haven’t read the Kovacs novels, but after reading The Steel Remains several years ago, it seemed fairly clear that his thoughts on sexuality and gender were shallow at best.

Oh god. I had to stop reading this series. I recall there being a sex scene so awful that it was almost I Am Charlotte Simmons level clunky, for those of you who remember that awkward Tom Wolfe novel.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

I mostly remember him being mad he didn’t win the Nobel peace prize for daring to put a gay character in a fantasy novel in like 2008 or whenever. So...yeah.

Well there was that time he called Tolkien a coward and offered himself as a brave, forward-thinking alternative. And there was the whole Peter Watts debate where he came off just smug and self-satisfied. And over at the Malazan boards (I think, it might have been SFFWorld) he got all pissy and indignant when some people mentioned that the gay characters in The Steel Remains were almost entirely defined by their sexual orientation and suggested that those characters felt more like props than actual characters.

9 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Not sure if I remember the Peter Watts thing..was that regarding the blog that shall not be named?

The Blog That Shall Not Be Named? 

Oh man, does it start with G and end with oodkind? 

6 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Was that on another board? I thought that happened HERE. o.O

Not sure if I remember the Peter Watts thing..was that regarding the blog that shall not be named?

Maybe it did happen here, it’s been a long time.

The Peter Watts thing was about that time when Watts got arrested at the border.

3 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Watts vs. Morgan? 

That's an uneven fight. Watts is brilliant. Morgan is...angry.

No, Morgan was defending Watts, but in a kind of high-handed way. It’s been years since that thread, so the details mostly escape me, but iirc Morgan was trying to make some kind of point about brainwashed Americans happily handed over their civil rights, and then being real condescending to those who disagreed with him.

3 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

No, Morgan was defending Watts, but in a kind of high-handed way. It’s been years since that thread, so the details mostly escape me, but iirc Morgan was trying to make some kind of point about brainwashed Americans happily handed over their civil rights, and then being real condescending to those who disagreed with him.

Thst seems to be his M.O.

Thats what really pisses me off about Morgan, the way he’s treated people who argued with him. Not the people just screaming TERF, but actual he let’s talk about this people.

well ok that and he thinks TERF is a slur

On 1/14/2020 at 8:00 PM, john said:

Aw man, this thread. First I find out Jemisin can be a bit of a dick. Then that Rowling and Graham Linehan are potential terfs. What the hell.

I know!  The Jemisin stuff was bad enough, but pales in comparison to the Morgan stuff.  The Richard Morgan shit is pretty brutal.  I don't know that there's a guy whose books and extratexual online shit seem so out of phase to me.  He literally said that being called a TERF was a slur*, all the while cherry picking shit to hassle trans people about.  And ignores actual science in the process, while claiming he's the one making a logical argument based in science.  Shaking m h so damn hard, Richard.  What would Takeshi think?  Or Marsalis or Sevgi?

I love his Sci-fi so much and sucks to see him posting this trash on his blog.  He's one the few contemporary authors where I buy all their books in ebook, audio, and paper.  Very disappointed.

7 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ha no, starts with require ends with a word that rhymes with date.

he was stopped at the border eh? To google!

I think the Watts-Morgan thing was from Watts calling Requires Only Hate a rabid animal, which looking back I think Watts has been totally vindicated.  Morgan responded here, I believe, in defense of Watts' comments.

Archived