Authors Behaving Like A**holes

Myshkin

6 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Nah, these people pretty much have to ask inane questions. It's the nature of their jobs and there's only so much variety to add. He agreed to sit down and is being an ass about the questions.

No. If you're a interviewer, you should think of better questions. Just because many other people does something poorly doesn't mean that that should be the standard. Anyway the full interview has better questions and answers if you bothered to look.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/i-do-not-like-working-too-hard-or-too-long-a-refreshin-1841209529/amp

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Uh, actually, no, a lot of those people get handled interview questions and either stick to the script or get fired.

Fine. I'm not acquainted with how things work. However, that's a cop out. The problem with the questions remains. Whoever is responsible needs to do better.

Edit: In this case, its an email interview. Do people even delegate that? 

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Uh, actually, no, a lot of those people get handled interview questions and either stick to the script or get fired.

It also depends on how many times he's been asked the same question in a short space of time. I found his answers quite funny in w brutally honest way. He gets credit, he has no interest in the adaptation and his book sales have increased. I suspect there are a lot of authors who would answer similarly if honest

I think his answers are great. The interviewer finds it "refreshing" albeit a little hard to work with. If you read the full interview, you can see that he communicates his thought process quite well. He's not deliberately being difficult.

For example, he could have shut it down with not playing video games. He still elaborates and finishes the question.

io9: How would you compare The Witcher show to the video games? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each medium?

Sapkowski: I cannot compare anything to video games, because I have never played any. Since I was a kid I haven’t played any games—with a possible exception of bridge and poker. Video games are simply not for me, I prefer books as entertainment. Anyway, in my opinion TV series and video games—any of them—cannot be compared. They are too different in approach, making—and objective. You cannot compare spaghetti carbonara with a bicycle. Even though both have advantages and disadvantages.

If you're asking him to bash the show, well, you deserve the response you got. He was a little grumpy on the book sales questions, but I thought that was the extent of it.

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Imagine GRRM admitting he doesn't like working!

The difference is that Sapkowski finished his series twenty years ago.

Also as if the interviewer is complaining about Sapkowski being an arsehole in giving that interview. He's got like a thousand times more attention than he would have had he gotten the normal answers.

19 hours ago, IlyaP said:

...who?

(I'm terrified of asking, I suspect the answer is going to scar my eyeballs.)

In some ways I'm almost nostalgic for the days when Robert Stanek was the worst we had to deal with.

The link DR posted has a great summary of his many shenanigans. The forum he created for his books where there were dozens of users who all seemed to be a pseudonym for him apart from a Bulgarian named Darth Sparhawk was particularly memorable. Also the bit where he photoshopped a picture with Brian Jacques to make it look like they were doing a joint book signing.

I can't remember if it's mentioned in there but he did also try promoting his books in this forum at one point, which did not go well.

If I remember correctly, the "In prison, people like them usually get shanked." quote that's at the top of the linked page was referring to the board's own @Werthead and Pat reporting on their blogs about him.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Also as if the interviewer is complaining about Sapkowski being an arsehole in giving that interview. He's got like a thousand times more attention than he would have had he gotten the normal answers. 

I was thinking the same, the interviewer might have been taken aback by the bluntness of the answers but they've got a much more memorable interview out of it.

23 minutes ago, williamjm said:

The link DR posted has a great summary of his many shenanigans.

I saw the links, read a bit - including the bit with the photoshopping of him with the late Brian Jacques and my jaw dropped and shattered some floor tiles. 

8 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Possibly a culture clash as well. Polish people in my life have informed me that uncompromising bluntness is a pretty common (though certainly not universal) character trait in Polish culture.

I imagined myself running this interview in Polish and speaking to him in either Polish or Russian to imagine what the tone and body language would be, and it all made perfect sense to me as a result. Eastern European honesty and bluntness. 

3 hours ago, williamjm said:

I can't remember if it's mentioned in there but he did also try promoting his books in this forum at one point, which did not go well.

You talking about this thread? Cause yeah, it was in there. 

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/96396-robert-stanek-and-his-super-secret-nsa-powers/

Archived