Authors Behaving Like A**holes

Myshkin

2 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

I love Jemisin's books.

But imagine the uproar if it had been someone like Terry Goodkind, Dan Simmons, or Orson Scott Card doing what she did. Double-standard here.

I'm so glad I elected to distance myself from the SFF blogosphere and online communities a few years back. . .

I don’t see the double standard here. Jemisin and the other authors involved in this incident are being hammered for it, just like the authors you mentioned would be hammered had they been involved.

Hmm, yes and no. She's known to "fight the good fight" and I have a feeling that some people are cutting her some slack in this case. The other three are considered bigots by many and I reckon they would be vilified a lot more if they had done what she did.

Either way, it really is a clusterfuck of a situation. . . :(

2 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Hmm, yes and no. She's known to "fight the good fight" and I have a feeling that some people are cutting her some slack in this case. The other three are considered bigots by many and I reckon they would be vilified a lot more if they had done what she did.

Either way, it really is a clusterfuck of a situation. . . :(

Goodkind, Simmons, and especially OSC have earned their reputations as gross assholes. If (if) it’s true that they’d be vilified a lot more than Jemisin for an incident like this, it wouldn’t be a function of a double standard, but rather a function of their long histories of dickish behavior.

16 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Goodkind, Simmons, and especially OSC have earned their reputations as gross assholes. If (if) it’s true that they’d be vilified a lot more than Jemisin for an incident like this, it wouldn’t be a function of a double standard, but rather a function of their long histories of dickish behavior.

Jemisin has a history of dickish behaviour too. But she gets a pass because politically she on the "good" side.

On 11/16/2019 at 7:13 PM, kairparavel said:

As is pointed out in the WaPo article, a lot of the piling on is out of defensiveness of YA and their readers who are a demographic continually ridiculed or considered less than because *sniff* literature.

Yep.

There's some nasty shit toward many young adult novels on Goodreads. Check novel by Garth Nix called Lirael. Beautifully evocative that deals on personal themes, it was decimated by people who listen the audiobook by poor actor for the job of very good (written) portrait of child seeking her path. I haven't seen anything like this done by female authors. It was beautiful. Yet it was decimated by people who lack self-reflection.

And by young adults bitching about amount of personal feelings.

2 hours ago, David Selig said:

Jemisin has a history of dickish behaviour too. But she gets a pass because politically she on the "good" side.

This is getting weird. This is a thread pretty much dedicated to calling several authors, including N.K. Jemisin, assholes, and yet we still have posters up in arms about her somehow getting a “pass”. Please show me where this is happening. Now I admit that I don’t know much about Jemisin’s history with this kind of behavior, but I can tell you this; right now she’s taking (well deserved) heat from her own fans over this shit, which is something you don’t usually see out of Gookdind’s, Simmon’s, or Card’s fans. Jemisin acted like an asshole, and she got called an asshole for it. When she finally deigned to give an asshole’s apology, she got called out on that too. On Twitter the common consensus is that her behavior makes her an asshole. In the various think pieces written about this incident she is painted as an asshole. In this thread everyone is in agreement that the way she acted makes her an asshole. What more do you want before you’re prepared to concede that she’s not getting a pass on her behavior?

On 11/16/2019 at 9:21 PM, Myshkin said:

I’m not sure much PR training is needed to follow the one rule every author should know; don’t address your critics. You’ve put your work out into the world to be judged, and not everybody’s gonna like it.

That's like saying everyone's opinion is right -especially if it's negative.

I seen negative reviews made that were so much uncalled for, not constructive or by people who haven't read the book, but "followed along with negativity". Also, that pirate novel that was written by dyslexic author was bashed right here, on this forum, and people gave it less than one star and outright admitted they haven't read the novel.

There's difference in writing a good novel some people not like and facing with review-bombing (not sure if that's topic outside gaming industry?).

There was word in my language for hateful review, that is made exactly for hate or lolz, but I believe it's not used anymore.

My point was this:

author should ignore negativity, but not accept it. Because what if someone says "your novel sucks" in front of bunch of people on book show or something? "Yeah, my novel sucks", "Yeah, my novel is totally OK, but I find your opinion truthful, so my novel totally sucks?"

1 minute ago, Lady Winter Rose said:

I'm not English speaker. Did that novel got translation? 

I don't know what you are saying, honestly. 

Sorry, just a board injoke. Myshkin once jokingly wrote cryptozooerotica stories under that name.

Archived