U.S. Politics: Gar Nicht Trump's Traumschiff!

Tywin Manderly

Why around these dates for Louisiana? 

it's anti-federalism.  it worked out well yesterday, at least.

i thought rispone was a poe's law joke when i first read about him. he sent us a love letter in new orleans:

A message for the radical leftists protesting ICE today:

Donald Trump is right.

I hope you enjoy protesting, because if you’re upset now, just wait ‘til I’m governor.

When I’m governor, Louisiana will stand with President Trump to protect ICE, build the wall, and end illegal immigration.

When I’m governor, New Orleans will no longer be a sanctuary city.

When I’m governor, we won’t tolerate replacing the American flag at a government building with Mexican ones.

When I’m governor, we won’t put up with ANTIFA lawlessness.

And when I’m governor, we will crack down — HARD — on every single criminal illegal and terrorist gang.

So, enjoy your protests. Because when I’m sworn in, we’re getting tough on illegal immigration the second my hand comes off the Bible.

To everyone else who has to watch this craziness today: Remember, John Bel Edwards is the reason New Orleans is a sanctuary city. With your vote, together, we can change that.

— Eddie

that was received similar to trump's presentation.  i guess that means the republicans will only run with onion article candidates now.

Glad to see that John Bel Edwards hung on. His 2015 race wasn't quite as big a fluke as Doug Jones' 2017 race, but there was still a huge luck element based on how bad his opponent was. Fortunately it seems like he was popular enough to weather Louisiana's partisan lean. And with Democrats also managing to stave off Republican attempts to get a supermajority in the state house (they have one in the state senate), he'll maintain his veto authority. Which is good for state governance and good for redistricting purposes.

The congressional map is 5R-1D right now, and it could easily be 4R-2D in a compromise map (a hypothetical aggressive Democratic gerrymander could probably get to 4D-2R, though a 3-3 tie would be safer). I don't know anything about the state legislative districts, but I assume Bel Edwards could force a map that would at least safely prevent any future Republican attempts at supermajorities.

1 hour ago, sologdin said:

Why around these dates for Louisiana? 

it's anti-federalism.  it worked out well yesterday, at least.

I was referring there to why Louisiana's runoff takes place later in November, not the virtues (or lack thereof) of off-year elections in general.

48 minutes ago, DMC said:

I was referring there to why Louisiana's runoff takes place later in November, not the virtues (or lack thereof) of off-year elections in general.

No idea personally. But I wonder if the fact that it's on a Saturday cancels out the turnout reduction from being on an odd date. Even during Presidential election years, the congressional elections happen later than the general election.

Re Buttigieg's polling in Iowa -- astonishing, isn't it, what happens when the Big $Zuck and FB (which, particularly via Instagram, also profits from slavery) throws millions of dollars and FB ads behind a political candidate.

the 'Trump Cult' closes ranks:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/conservative-denver-radio-host-fired-011312010.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=2_15

onservative Denver radio station 710 KNUS fired host and former district attorney Craig Silverman during his broadcast Saturday after he criticized Donald Trump, according to the Denver Post.

Silverman told the paper he was taken off the air for replaying a 2015 interview with Trump surrogate Roger Stone, who was found guilty on seven federal charges on Friday including witness tampering.

In the interview, Silverman told Stone that one of his biggest concerns with Trump was his connection to Roy Cohn, who assisted Joseph McCarthy in the House Committee on Un-American Activities in the 1950s and later served as Trump’s personal lawyer. The Colorado radio station promptly took Silverman off the air and removed the webpage for his show from their site.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Re Buttigieg's polling in Iowa -- astonishing, isn't it, what happens when the Big $Zuck and FB (which, particularly via Instagram, also profits from slavery) throws millions of dollars and FB ads behind a political candidate.

Hes also a very good candidate. Money helps, but it only helps those who can use it well. Steyer has spent far more and achieved far less. 

19 minutes ago, Zorral said:

But Steyer didn't have FB behind him running for free all those ads ....

What free ads are you talking about? Because a quick Google reveals nothing to me, and this would be a huge media scandal without a doubt if Facebook was deliberately putting its thumb on the scale for one primary candidate over others.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Hes also a very good candidate.

I haven't been following all this as closely as many of you will have been but Buttigieg seems like the emptiest of empty suits to me. He seems like everything anyone ever hated about the Clintons but with added total lack of experience.

8 hours ago, DMC said:

I would guess the first election was standard Tuesday 2 thru 8 November.  LA runs off top two vote getters if no one got to 50.00001.  If thats right, sooner is probably better than later.

31 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I haven't been following all this as closely as many of you will have been but Buttigieg seems like the emptiest of empty suits to me. He seems like everything anyone ever hated about the Clintons but with added total lack of experience.

He seems like a committee-generated tickbox candidate. He's gay, so he's a minority, but still a white man, so not too much of a minority. He went to an Ivy league school, so he's smart, but he's from the small town midwest, so he's a real American. He's a multi-lingual Rhodes scholar, so he's an intellectual, but he was also in the military, so he's a real man of action. He's not anyone with any particularly noteworthy reason to be president, he's just an alignment of attributes.

Also, ever since I read this quote from him, I've been giving him the side-eye:

“I did not carry an assault weapon around a foreign country so I could come home and see them used to massacre my countrymen.”

It doesn't seem to have occurred to him that the people in the foreign country had an equally vested interest in not being shot with assault weapons.

Trump claims he's in great health - but most commentators on the article are not buying it.  Still think this would be a good campaign issue (attack adds) for the democratic party.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-says-everything-very-good-after-first-phase-of-annual-medical-check/ar-BBWSVrz?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580&fbclid=IwAR3JuyfQdKIv5fGvLpINofDmVtqMQgL6r6qodsrGTHQDRZ3hfXgqLsfzKfU

Pelosi invites Trump to testify in impeachment hearings.  Given his monumental ego and arrogance, it is at least possible Trump would accept said invite, confident he could 'own the dems' and 'shut this farce down.'

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/democrats-invite-trump-to-testify-in-impeachment-inquiry/ar-BBWTDTT?ocid=msnclassic

WASHINGTON (AP) — Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi invited President Donald Trump to testify in front of investigators in the House impeachment inquiry ahead of a week that will see several key witnesses appear publicly.

Pushing back against accusations from the president that the process has been stacked against him, Pelosi said Trump is welcome to appear or answer questions in writing, if he chooses.

“If he has information that is exculpatory, that means ex, taking away, culpable, blame, then we look forward to seeing it,” she said in an interview that aired Sunday on CBS’s "Face the Nation.” Trump “could come right before the committee and talk, speak all the truth that he wants if he wants,” she said.

Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer echoed that suggestion.

“If Donald Trump doesn’t agree with what he’s hearing, doesn’t like what he’s hearing, he shouldn’t tweet. He should come to the committee and testify under oath. And he should allow all those around him to come to the committee and testify under oath,” Schumer told reporters. He said the White House’s insistence on blocking witnesses from cooperating begs the question: “What is he hiding?”

12 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

That would be so wonderful if the lying egotistical fool took the bait and did testify under oath. Theyd have him for perjury, obstruction and heavens knows what before he stopped digging his hole. He's incapable of telling the truth.

He'd either perjure himself a hundred times or prove how mentally unfit he is. Probably both. Bah, who am I kidding, the natural bootlicker constituency of the Republican Party would see him as heroically standing up to the terrifying and ravenously powerful specter of a 70-something rich white lady from San Francisco in charge of the weakest half of the sclerotic and gutless legislative branch.

2 hours ago, mcbigski said:

I would guess the first election was standard Tuesday 2 thru 8 November.  LA runs off top two vote getters if no one got to 50.00001.  If thats right, sooner is probably better than later.

Nah, see my original post in the previous thread.  The "first election" or "jungle primary" or whatever you wanna call it, it has taken place in early/mid October at least the past few cycles.

4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Hes also a very good candidate. Money helps, but it only helps those who can use it well. Steyer has spent far more and achieved far less. 

Moreover, if his bump in Iowa is all due to FB money/unbelievable influence they should be selling commercially if it's that effective, why hasn't he moved much in the national polls?  Just microtargeting Iowans on FB?  Ok, I suppose that's possible, but seems a pretty stupid strategy.  But the much more likely explanation is he's built a solid infrastructure there and knows how to appeal to the Iowa Caucus Democratic electorate as a mayor from South Bend.  Midwesterners got their own language, it's why Obama was elected.  

The day I'm that scared of some dopey little fuck like Mark Zuckerberg is the day I hang up the cleats.  (I haven't actually owned cleats in like...20 years.  Damn I'm old.)  I don't like what he's doing, but stop acting like he controls the weather.

Archived