Acrophobia #37: Tourists! Come See My Beautiful Kingdom!!

honeyed chicken

Round 7: Kings Landing

Stinky town. They say the stench of the place greets you miles outside the city gates . . . and why would anyone go to such a smelly city? I dunno, religion maybe? Baelor's Sept - one of the holiest shrines to the Seven in Westeros? And for the non believers, so much history - the three high hills that first drew Aegon Targaryen and his sisters, Rhaenys and Visenya. Perhaps a visit to the Red keep would be of interest, or the wreckage of the dragon pit? From time to time there's a tourney to see - jousting, melees, archery contests and more! The trick is to visit and leave with your wits and your body and mind all intact (forget about your purse - it WILL be emptied!).

For such a big town, I'll give you more combinations of letters to work with than you've had in the past:

4: OISA; BIUV

5: ANGTY; NRAKA

6: NEOHEF; DEADEL

7: WUFIMOE; LREGDIC

Hopefully, you'll be able to find a combo that works for you there.

Deadline? Well, if you all can get back to me by early Friday morning (Jan.17), I'll post results, entries to vote on, and a new destination before I go away for three days. Elsewise I'll post everything Monday night, Jan. 20.

Round 6: Harrenhal

How many experiences can one castle hold? Come find out! Harrenhal is a place so brimming with memories (mostly dark) that you can't help but feel them as you walk through the place. Care for Weasel Soup? Dance with a bear in the bear pit? See why giant castles are no proof against dragons? Harrenhal is your place. Let's see which of these slogans sells its "charms" the best?

1) Ancient disaster excursions, ursine recreation, architecture!

2) ARYA'S ESCAPE - NOW LIVE! New Interpretive Production!

3) Spelunkable hallways'll reel you in!

4) Attractions: Deadly Escapes - Unbelievably Realistic Adventures!

5) A dark extravagance unveiled: ruinous ambition.

6) All dragon entry unauthorized (risk assessment!)

7) Aegon's extraordinary nightclub! Lyanna's notorious igloo! Pack!

8) Super HUGE ramparts, yesteryear inflammable.

Please feel free to vote whether you're a player or not - the more votes, the merrier (and more points for the players). And if you haven't voted before, please choose a first, second and third place choice from among these eight, excellent entries. Thanks!

21 hours ago, Howlin' Howland said:

???  You do have my entry right?

Sorry, I held off putting it in my spread sheet because you marked it as a draft, and I was expecting more or at least confirmation that's the one you wanted to go with.

17 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Sorry, I usually focus on creating something before voting but I'm finding the KL assignment very tricky indeed.

With so many letters I struggle to find a place to start.

That's the down side of so many combos. Next round I'll return to the old format.

I'm heading out in a few hours and you won't hear from me till Monday night, so don't worry if you don't get a reply to your pms.

Round 6: Harrenhal

Fragile Bird's "Spelunkable hallways" "reel" in the voters. RhaenysBee posts nice round with "ursine recreation". Castellan right behind with "ruinous ambition".

In a continent with so many destinations for disaster tourists to choose from Harrenhal offers the most profound statement of the power of dragons. There are no living dragons in Westeros (at this point in the books), but Harrenhals dizzy towers tell a frightening tale. And there's so much more for tourists with an endless appetite for woe and gore.

1) Ancient disaster excursions, ursine recreation, architecture! - RhaenysBee: 1st - 2; 3rd - 2; split bonus w/Fragile Bird. 2+1+6+2+2 = 13

2) ARYA'S ESCAPE - NOW LIVE! New Interpretive Production! - She who must be Obeyed: 1st - 1; 2nd - 2; 3rd - 1. 2+1+3+4+1 = 11

3) Spelunkable hallways'll reel you in! - Fragile Bird: 1st- 2; 2nd - 1; 3rd -1; split bonus w/RhaenysBee. 2+1+6+2+1+2 = 14

4) Attractions: Deadly Escapes - Unbelievably Realistic Adventures! - rocksniffer: 2nd - 2. 2+1+4 = 7.

5) A dark extravagance unveiled: ruinous ambition. - Castellan: 1st - 1; 2nd - 2; 3rd - 2. 2+1+3+4+2 = 12

6) All dragon entry unauthorized (risk assessment!) - Dolorous Gabe: 1st - 1; 2nd - 1; 3rd - 2. 2+1+3+2+2 = 10

7) Aegon's extraordinary nightclub! Lyanna's notorious igloo! Pack! - Count Balerion: 1st - 1. 2+1+3 = 6

8) Super HUGE ramparts, yesteryear inflammable. - Howlin' Howland. 2+1 = 3.

Standings

1. Fragile Bird: 69 + 14 = 83

2. She who must be Obeyed: 57 + 11 = 68

3. Dolorous Gabe: 57 + 10 = 67

4. Count Balerion: 60 + 6 = 66

5. rocksniffer: 46+7 = 53

6. Howlin's Howland: 49 + 3 = 52

7. RhaenysBee: 38 + 13 = 51

8. Castellan: 29 + 12 = 41

I have 8 entries, but am waiting a little longer on confirmation from one player that I have the submission they intended me to use (of multiple ones mentioned). I will post the entries tonight whether I have that confirmation or not.

Archived