Acrophobia #37: Tourists! Come See My Beautiful Kingdom!!

honeyed chicken

Welcome all to Acrophobia 37, the game where the host gives you an acronym of useless letters and you make a brilliant sentence from it.

The theme of this game, as you see in the title is to make a call to tourists. Your treasury is empty. Roads and bridges are crumbling throughout your realm. Your ministers have hit on the idea of bringing in wealthy travelers that you can tax while they lodge, eat and travel through your countryside. Make your pitch. What words will draw the masses?

In your first pm to me for this game, put acro 37: tourists, or something like that in the subject line and I'll find it.

To recap the basic rules:

Each round (there will be ten for this game)I will provide you with name of a lord and region and several acronyms of various lengths. You pick one of those to make a sentence. You must use all the letters and in the order provided. You may capitalize as you wish. Put in whatever punctuation marks suit your entry (or your whim). If you use a conjunction (and, or, but, etc.) there must be a letter in the acronym for it. I believe we do not allow ampersands (&)? Somebody check me on that. In the process of writing your sentence you may well produce many, but you can only enter one and you must pick it. You can't say to the host, "Here's a bunch of sentences - pick the one you think will get the most votes." Nah-ah, YOU must pick. There is, however, an acro leftover thread where you can share - just for fun - the other sentences - your leftovers.

Once the first deadline is past, I will post sentences from all the players who've sent me one. Anyone who wishes will then vote on the entries. I'll discuss scoring in more detail below plus a wrinkle I'd like to introduce.  There'll be a second post with the lord and letters for round two sentences. On the second deadline the first post will tally the votes and and the score from the first round of sentences. All the scoring is public so you'll be able to check my math (I encourage players to do this).  There will be a second post of with the second group of sentences to vote on. The third post will contain lord and letters for the third round. And the game will continue like that till the tenth round of sentences have been voted on and the final score is posted.

Scoring

voting each round - 1 point

submitting a sentence - 2 points per round

getting the most first place votes each round - 3 points

each first place vote per entry - 3 points

each second place vote per entry - 2 points

each third place vote per entry - 1 point

A note on voting

The idea behind voting is to pick the best entries in your opinion. You may not vote for your own entry. You players don't know till after the voting which entry was submitted by whom - but since votes are public and the author of each sentence revealed during scoring, any player voting for their own entry will be caught out (plus I will notice - hopefully).

An alternative scoring idea

As host, I have some latitude about this, but the idea is a pretty radical departure from the past so I'll follow the will of the people. Voting essentially gives ech player 6 points to distribute. My idea is to allow more the voter to give those out more freely. instead of 3, 2 ,1 for first, second, third, allow for first, first or second, second, second. I.e. give 3 points each to two entries you feel are equally deserving (and maybe all the others are not good enough), or that there are three entries that are equally good - so 2 points each to three players. I'd also open it up to giving more than three players votes - even 6 entries with a vote each. Or one entry gets 2 and four entries get 1. The only thing I would not do is give four or more points to a single entry.

Please discuss this idea either in public below, or in your pm to me as you wish.

ETA: I had nothing to do with the sneaky links that have been stuck into this post.

Round One: Qarth

Deadline: Sunday, November 24th, noonish GMT

The Pureborn have set aside their differences with the Thirteen, the Tourmaline Brotherhood, and the Ancient Guild of Spicers to come together and welcome visitors to their lovely city by the Jade Sea. What pitch do you think they'd make? What's their snappy slogan?

Letters:

IASI

EYTOA

NEXABL

LRCEMASR

Good luck!

5 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

<snip>

An alternative scoring idea

As host, I have some latitude about this, but the idea is a pretty radical departure from the past so I'll follow the will of the people. Voting essentially gives ech player 6 points to distribute. My idea is to allow more the voter to give those out more freely. instead of 3, 2 ,1 for first, second, third, allow for first, first or second, second, second. I.e. give 3 points each to two entries you feel are equally deserving (and maybe all the others are not good enough), or that there are three entries that are equally good - so 2 points each to three players. I'd also open it up to giving more than three players votes - even 6 entries with a vote each. Or one entry gets 2 and four entries get 1. The only thing I would not do is give four or more points to a single entry.

Please discuss this idea either in public below, or in your pm to me as you wish.

sort of complicated but more for the host than the voter...

...that being said i find myself ambivalent on this topic and therefore will defer to the more wizened opinions, as i lean back and enjoy firing up

:smoking: 

Holy mother... i can’t decide if the letters or the topic terrifies me more :lol: 

on the issue of alternate scoring, I’m wondering what’s your objective with the alternate idea? Would you like to provide an option to vote for more than just 3 entries? Would you like to enable giving equal scores for the odd case that one can’t choose between two strong  entries?

Personally I’m absolutely open to the first. However, I’ve always been one in favor of strict scoring policies, in which the system forces the voter to differentiate between entries. For example, one gets to divide X points between 2 or 3 or 4 or as many entries as they wish, but they can’t give equal points any two entries. If we enable equal points, it takes away from the competition and the motivating power of the scoring system in my opinion. The difference in scores will flatten (or even disappear) and the results will mirror our being nice to one another rather than our honest ranking of the entries. 

9 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Holy mother... i can’t decide if the letters or the topic terrifies me more :lol: 

on the issue of alternate scoring, I’m wondering what’s your objective with the alternate idea? Would you like to provide an option to vote for more than just 3 entries? Would you like to enable giving equal scores for the odd case that one can’t choose between two strong  entries?

Personally I’m absolutely open to the first. However, I’ve always been one in favor of strict scoring policies, in which the system forces the voter to differentiate between entries. For example, one gets to divide X points between 2 or 3 or 4 or as many entries as they wish, but they can’t give equal points any two entries. If we enable equal points, it takes away from the competition and the motivating power of the scoring system in my opinion. The difference in scores will flatten (or even disappear) and the results will mirror our being nice to one another rather than our honest ranking of the entries. 

ok less ambivalent today...in fact i agree with this...the first part we do regularly when we have a larger group of entries, voting for 4 vs 3 with 3rd and 4th getting 1 point...

and upon reflection i agree giving equal points does defeat the purpose...

...that is all

:smoking:

10 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Lol, good thing I looked here! It’s already Thursday and I just saw the page!

Maybe you should put a link in the old thread?

Oooopps! Did I not? Maybe I put it on TTTNE - well anyway. I'll go do that.

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Is there any chance we can extend the deadline till Monday evening GMT? I forgot to work out my entry on the outbound flight and the next time I could comfortably think about it would be on the way home on Monday evening :( 

Yes, I will wait. And don't feel bad - there's only three entries in now, so you are in good company. :)

I'm going to be away from my computer from Wednesday to Saturday this week. If I have six entries by Wednesday morning I'll post them and we can start the voting. If not, I'll wait till next weekend.

@Emmit

@Fragile Bird

@rocksniffer

@redriver

@Castellan

@Jez Bell

@Lady Blizzardborn

@She who must be Obeyed

My memory is hazy. Was the last game we played of Acrophilia the one that I hosted where I tried a new style, with themes within themes? I can't find any of the threads so they must have been deleted.

I'll be starting a new game of it in January so I was looking into what number it will be. I think it will be #20 but I'm hoping someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

On 11/24/2019 at 5:13 PM, Dolorous Gabe said:

My memory is hazy. Was the last game we played of Acrophilia the one that I hosted where I tried a new style, with themes within themes? I can't find any of the threads so they must have been deleted.

I'll be starting a new game of it in January so I was looking into what number it will be. I think it will be #20 but I'm hoping someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

i think so because we haven't played since jan of 18 it appears here is the archives thread

:cheers:

On 11/24/2019 at 8:12 AM, honeyed chicken said:

Yes, I will wait. And don't feel bad - there's only three entries in now, so you are in good company. :)

I'm going to be away from my computer from Wednesday to Saturday this week. If I have six entries by Wednesday morning I'll post them and we can start the voting. If not, I'll wait till next weekend.

@Emmit

@Fragile Bird

@rocksniffer

@redriver

@Castellan

@Jez Bell

@Lady Blizzardborn

@She who must be Obeyed

We'll wait till after the USA Thanksgiving holiday to start round one voting.

New deadline for round one entries: Sunday Dec. 1, noon GMT.

Archived